Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2023, 11:53   #1

Ownership review of the TVS Ronin | 5500 km & 6 months

Hey All! This is my first-ever post on Team-BHP. A few months before I got my first bike, which was the TVS Ronin 225, a friend introduced me to Team-BHP. Now, after six months, I have enough to share about this bike. Since the purchase experience differs from dealer to dealer, I will skip through that and go directly to my experience with the bike. I reside in Bangalore, and therefore, I bought the base variant (Lighting Black) of the Ronin from the TVS Solar Dealership near Rajarajeshwari Nagar Arch.

Ownership review of the TVS Ronin | 5500 km & 6 months-delivery.jpeg

Bike experience on the first day
On the first day when I received the bike, as a first-time bike owner, I found the bike quite heavy since the only two-wheeler I had ridden before was an Activa. However, on the ride back home, I got used to the weight, and it took me only a couple of weeks to be completely comfortable with the weight of the Ronin (it weighs only 160 kgs, which is quite low for a bike of such stature). The gear shifting was unbelievably smooth. I could barely feel the gear shifting, and the gear indicator was the only way I could find out if the gear had actually changed. I was mesmerized by the look of the bike (although every person has their subjective preference and likings towards this bike). I am 5'7" and had no issues while sitting on the bike. My feet would easily touch the ground without any issue.

Ownership review of the TVS Ronin | 5500 km & 6 months-front.jpeg

Toward the end of the week of my purchase, I took a trip to Kunigal and did approximately 200-250 kms in total. On this trip, I tried to push the engine to the top speed, and with luck and no lesser windblast, I was able to achieve 125 kmph with a pillion (this is the max I could do so far even while I was solo riding). I know a lot of people are apprehensive about pushing their bikes before the first service, but I had researched enough to find out that it is best to try varying speeds, both high and low, to break into the engine of a new bike. The ride was quite satisfying, and I fell in love with the bike. A couple of days later (exactly a week after my purchase), I was due for my first service.

Ownership review of the TVS Ronin | 5500 km & 6 months-dd.jpeg

My worst experience with the Ronin
This was the 6th day after my purchase. I had gone to Koramangala with a few friends for lunch. Just like any other Bangalorean, due to a lack of parking space, I parked my bike on the roadside along with other two-wheelers. When I came back, the bike had an alert sign on, which was a triangle with an exclamation mark inside the triangle. And the bike would not start. I tried multiple times, and I even tried pushing and starting the bike, but the ignition would not happen. I pushed the bike to a nearby mechanic (which was merely 10-15 meters away). I asked him to have a quick look to see if he could understand what the issue was. He said that it seemed like an issue with the electronics of the bike and that he couldn't look into it because if he did, then my warranty would not stay valid. After this, I tried reaching out to the nearby TVS service centres. Another important thing to note is that all this happened on a Saturday. Koramangala did not have any service centre; I was aware of only one service centre in Koramangala, which was the TVS Flagship service centre, but their contact wasn’t available. I then contacted the Jayanagar service center, and they told me that they had no labor because it was a Saturday. I then reached out to 3-4 more service centers, including the service center connected to my dealership, and none of them could help me.

Ownership review of the TVS Ronin | 5500 km & 6 months-speedo.jpeg

The dealership service center told me that the alert sign means that there is a fault with ISG of the bike. After waiting for 5-6 hours on the road with my bike, two boys from the Bommasandra Service center came to collect the bike on a bike of their own. I was expecting a towing vehicle or at least a tempo to take away my bike. However, it was this one guy who put his feet on my bike while the other guy sat on my bike, and they pushed my bike to their service center. I verified their identity with the service center, and since I had no other option, I had to let them push my bike away. I got the bike back the next day. The service center did not explain to me what the issue was, and since I was in a hurry to attend to something else, I did not bother much as well.

I noticed that I had this issue twice again, but upon removing the key and putting it back, the issue would go. However, I got it inspected by the service center, and it was a software issue which they resolved.

Another issue I faced once was that even after putting the back on neutral (the gear indicator also showed it), the bike would move as though it was in 1st gear. Another friend who bought Ronin told me about this issue on the 2nd day of his purchase. I only faced this after 3 months.

Changes I Noticed Post 1st Service
  1. []The handle had become lighter, which made navigating easier.
    []The brake had become looser, which I did not like because I liked the tightness of the brake lever before the service.
    []Gears weren't as smooth as before.
    []I also got the windshield added since on my Kunigal ride I realized how bad the windblast was without it (after adding the windshield I have not faced windblast issue).
I will write a separate post on the service experience if required.

City Commuting Experience
One of the main reasons I wanted to get a bike was because commuting to my college daily on a scooter was killing my back. I travel a total of 33-40 km daily. After getting used to the weight of the Ronin, I find it very easy to navigate through traffic. Even parking and unparking the bike is relatively much easier, and 98% of the time, I can manage the bike alone without any help from anyone. The assisted slipper clutch makes commuting so much easier. The constant need to use the clutch in Bangalore traffic becomes a lot easier. The suspensions of the bike are just amazing. They absorb unevenness and potholes quite well. My back pain has reduced exponentially.

Ownership review of the TVS Ronin | 5500 km & 6 months-side.jpeg

The mileage I am getting in Bangalore city is currently 40 km/liter. I have tested this mileage multiple times, and it is always between 38-41, but 80% of the time, it has been 40. (Before the first service, I was getting 34-36 km/liter). As per my needs, I have to refuel twice a month. For city rides, the pillion seat is also very comfortable, and my friends and family have never complained about it. The bike has a good road presence in the city. I have been asked questions about the bike multiple times by fellow city riders.
People notice the exhaust sound, which turns heads quite easily. A few times when you have to do offroading to take shortcuts, the tires handle it very well. To me, this is one of the best multip- purpose commuters. Riding the Ronin makes the Bangalore traffic slightly more bearable on a daily basis.

Highway Cruising Experience
Ownership review of the TVS Ronin | 5500 km & 6 months-tracking-2.jpeg

I have done a total of 4 short bike trips (within 200kms one way) on my Ronin within the 6 months for which I have owned it.
  • Kunigal
  • TK Falls
  • Savandurga
  • Yelagiri

My experience over all has been good. The bike is pretty comfortable for cruising at 70-80kmph speeds. Post 90kmphs the vibrations on the bike are quite high which makes the rider tired sooner. The seat is quite average because after 100-150kms of non-stop riding your bottom starts aching. The seat is worse for the pillion. For the pillion, the seat size is small for a long-distance cruise, and it also causes pain in the buttocks.

The seating position for the rider does not cause any pain. i have not noticed any shoulder or neck pain so far, although on my last ride to Yelagiri, I did a total of 401kms with a few 15mins breaks every 150kms.

On average, I have gotten 45kms/litre of mileage on the highway. However, on my ride to Savandurga, I maintained a speed of 50-80kmph with constant speed for long distances and got a whopping 60kms/liter of mileage as well (yes, I was very surprised as well )

Recently I got the side stays and the rear rack put on the bike, which are officially being sold for Ronin by TVS. I haven't got any saddlebags or straps. Please leave me any suggestions
GetemNowboom is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 19:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Ownership review of the TVS Ronin | 5500 km & 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetemNowboom View Post

On average, I have gotten 45kms/litre of mileage on the highway. However, on my ride to Savandurga, I maintained a speed of 50-80kmph with constant speed for long distances and got a whopping 60kms/liter of mileage as well (yes, I was very surprised as well )
Left me in shock as well That was a pretty good ride XD

Quote:
Recently I got the side stays and the rear rack put on the bike, which are officially being sold for Ronin by TVS. I haven't got any saddlebags or straps. Please leave me any suggestions
My suggestions would be Any of the Magnetic Tank Bags from Viaterra or Rynox, and for Saddle Bags, there are the Rynox Nomads, Viaterra Condors, and a few options from Raida as well. I'm sure of course, the members here would be able to add more insight. I would wholeheartedly recommend the Wroom CAM Straps for luggage mounting.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 13:04   #3
BHPian

Nice review. The Ronin is quite a good bike, and I personally like the colours on the base and mid variants.

Are the vibrations still persistent after multiple services above 90kmph?

And how is the chain maintenance done? The cover is not an actual chain cover like the basic commuters have right? Its open from the other side so does it need to be removed at every service due to dirt/ dust getting in?
Old 27th March 2023, 04:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know a lot of people are apprehensive about pushing their bikes before the first service, but I had researched enough to find out that it is best to try varying speeds, both high and low, to break into the engine of a new bike.
This is correct. However; pushing the limits on a brand new bike is best avoided. You're basically stressing all the mechanicals that are still tight and no engine likes to run at full load right out of the showroom. I get that there is a side to you that wants to know how fast you can go. Keep it for another day. After all, the bike is going to stay with you for a few years. You have plenty of time to explore your motorcycle. Even post first service, go easy on the throttle.

TVS have always aced the exhaust department more than any other local manufacturer of motorcycles (For smaller capacity engines).

Ride safe.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:09   #5
BHPian

The base variant is a good looker. I am surprised that you managed to reach 125, I have not pushed it since the vibrations were annoying, must try soon. Really surprised with the mileage and feel happy that I have a Ronin
Old 27th March 2023, 14:30   #6
BHPian

IMHO, the TVS Ronin is better than it's nearest rival, the RE Hunter. It's great in the city and very competent on the highway. My personal favorite colour is the mid-variant Black with golden forks. If I was on the lookout for new bikes today, the Ronin would definitely have made my shortlist.

Good choice sir!!

Last edited by Indraneel Bhat : 27th March 2023 at 14:32. Reason: needed to add 1 more point
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 11:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLearner View Post
Are the vibrations still persistent after multiple services above 90kmph?

And how is the chain maintenance done? The cover is not an actual chain cover like the basic commuters have right? Its open from the other side so does it need to be removed at every service due to dirt/ dust getting in?
Post 90kmph, the vibrations are more than just noticeable. On my recent ride (just after 2nd service), I had to keep up with a Dominar 400 and KTM Adventure 390 due to which I had to maintain a cruise speed of 90-100kmph. Due to this my hands and left leg felt a lot of vibrations and I could feel them going numb. Again, this was because I kept cruising over 90kmph for good 20kms or so, due to which I experienced it. Cruising over 90kmphs for less distance did not have the same effect but I could still feel the vibrations.

With regards to the chain maintenance, I have only used WD-40 to clean the chain a few times and for that I had to use an extended pipe. I could only apply the solution but not scrub it using a brush. I haven't used a chain lube yet. In general, due to the chain cover it is quite difficult to maintain the chain. I myself have to find a way around it. In a few YouTube videos I have seen that the owners take the bike to a local mechanic to remove the cover and get the chain cleaned.

If there are any other Ronin users here, I request you to provide your insight about chain maintenance as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementw View Post
The base variant is a good looker. I am surprised that you managed to reach 125, I have not pushed it since the vibrations were annoying, must try soon. Really surprised with the mileage and feel happy that I have a Ronin
Thank you so much for leaving a reply. I reached 125 with a lot of luck and of course I don't suggest doing it because the vibrations are absolutely the worst. Ever since that one attempt, I haven't tried to go over 100kmph myself
One of the best thing about the Ronin is the mileage. I am pretty sure the mileage brings a smile on all Ronin owners' face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
IMHO, the TVS Ronin is better than it's nearest rival, the RE Hunter. It's great in the city and very competent on the highway. My personal favorite colour is the mid-variant Black with golden forks. If I was on the lookout for new bikes today, the Ronin would definitely have made my shortlist.

Good choice sir!!
Thank you so much for leaving a reply. I had personally taken a test ride of the RE Hunter. I found the suspensions to be extremely stiff for Bengaluru roads. My friend who was pillion during the test ride got a massive headache due to the stiff suspension. I also did not like the heaviness of the clutch. Although RE claims that Hunter has the lightest clutch among all RE bikes, I personally didn't like it because in the heavy traffic of Bengaluru, constantly pressing a heavy clutch would lead to wrist pain. Whereas the assisted slipper clutch of the Ronin is many times lighter. The mileage of the Hunter was also not as impressive. If I am not wrong it gives a mileage of approx 30-32km/liter (Hunter owners please clarify this).
However, from multiple reviews online I have understood that the Hunter is a much better cruiser than Ronin. It has a heavier body which keeps it better planted in the highway, the stiffer suspension provide better control and the vibrations at high speeds are much lesser.
GetemNowboom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 20:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Post 90kmph, the vibrations are more than just noticeable. On my recent ride (just after 2nd service), I had to keep up with a Dominar 400 and KTM Adventure 390 due to which I had to maintain a cruise speed of 90-100kmph. Due to this my hands and left leg felt a lot of vibrations and I could feel them going numb. Again, this was because I kept cruising over 90kmph for good 20kms or so, due to which I experienced it. Cruising over 90kmphs for less distance did not have the same effect but I could still feel the vibrations.
For me this is the biggest deal-breaker of the Ronin, and I am surprised to see that on a TVS bike, have you mentioned anything to the service center about this issue?
Old 22nd May 2023, 01:13   #9
BHPian

I am not sure what engine oil grade , TVS are using on Ronin, but once you switch to full synthetic brands like Motul or Castrol, bike will reveal it's full potential. It should be a breeze to cruise at 100km/h.
Old 28th May 2023, 11:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
I am not sure what engine oil grade , TVS are using on Ronin, but once you switch to full synthetic brands like Motul or Castrol, bike will reveal it's full potential. It should be a breeze to cruise at 100km/h.
That sounds wonderful. I wasn't very satisfied with the engine oil that TVS used as well. I will surely try a full synthetic oil next time.
GetemNowboom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 11:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
City Commuting Experience
One of the main reasons I wanted to get a bike was because commuting to my college daily on a scooter was killing my back. I travel a total of 33-40 km daily. After getting used to the weight of the Ronin, I find it very easy to navigate through traffic. Even parking and unparking the bike is relatively much easier, and 98% of the time, I can manage the bike alone without any help from anyone. The assisted slipper clutch makes commuting so much easier. The constant need to use the clutch in Bangalore traffic becomes a lot easier. The suspensions of the bike are just amazing. They absorb unevenness and potholes quite well. My back pain has reduced exponentially.

Attachment 2432512

The mileage I am getting in Bangalore city is currently 40 km/liter. I have tested this mileage multiple times, and it is always between 38-41, but 80% of the time, it has been 40. (Before the first service, I was getting 34-36 km/liter). As per my needs, I have to refuel twice a month. For city rides, the pillion seat is also very comfortable, and my friends and family have never complained about it. The bike has a good road presence in the city. I have been asked questions about the bike multiple times by fellow city riders.
People notice the exhaust sound, which turns heads quite easily. A few times when you have to do offroading to take shortcuts, the tires handle it very well. To me, this is one of the best multip- purpose commuters. Riding the Ronin makes the Bangalore traffic slightly more bearable on a daily basis.
How is the bike?
Is it good for a college student who has a daily commute of 35-40 kms?
How are the mileage figures?
Does the mileage vary in different modes?
I am really confused between the Ronin and the Apache RTR 200 4V.
Kindly help me choosing the right bike!

I currently ride a 2015 TVS Victor to my college and it gives me 62 kmpl if ridden calmly. If you ride it like a crazy nut it returns around 45-48 kmpl.
I am planning to buy the Ronin or the Apache RTR 200 4V around the festive season.
Petrol prices going above ₹100 is actually concerning.
I am confused. Should I look for power or mileage?

Happy and Safe Motoring!

YashOjha15
Old 9th July 2023, 12:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashOjha15 View Post
I am planning to buy the Ronin or the Apache RTR 200 4V around the festive season.
Petrol prices going above ₹100 is actually concerning.
I am confused. Should I look for power or mileage?
Your driving style should be a major factor in choosing. Ronin is better for relaxed driving, RTR 200 for sporty driving, first off the redline kind of.
Ronin is all-rounder and would give you better mileage in city driving.
ajay0612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 12:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashOjha15 View Post
How is the bike?
Is it good for a college student who has a daily commute of 35-40 kms?
How are the mileage figures?
Does the mileage vary in different modes?
I am really confused between the Ronin and the Apache RTR 200 4V.
Kindly help me choosing the right bike!
Hi Yash, thank you for engaging with my post. My entire post should have given you an idea about how I feel the bike is. I personally commute a total of 40-50kms to and from college and I have no problem in doing so, hence I believe that Ronin would be a really good option for you as well. The least mileage for me has been of 36 kmpl when I high revved the bike and drove it through the crazy traffic of Bengaluru, otherwise I have always received 38 kmpl as a minimum. The modes have nothing to do with the mileage. The Rain Mode merely increases the sensitivity of the ABS of the bike while the Urban Mode reduces it.

Apache RTR 4V v. Ronin:

The reason why I chose the Ronin was because I wanted a bike which had a comfortable seating position. The Apache has more or less a sporty seating where you are slightly bent forward. Since I commute for 40-50kms daily through the city, I knew that a sporty seating would cause me body pain. The Ronin has front position footings which makes the seating quiet upright and comfortable for longer rides. Furthermore, the Ronin has a better pillion seating on my opinion. While I'm not sure about the size comparison of the pillion seating, the Apache has a higher mounted pillion seat which most people find uncomfortable, especially older people like our parents. Therefore again I went with Ronin because the pillion seat is not really higher mounted.
As far as I know, the Apache and the Ronin return similar mileage figures. However, the Apache is a much faster machine. Don't expect the Ronin to just zoom away and give you the thrill of speed. It is much slower motorcycle when compared to the Apache. I personally felt that even the Apache RTR 160 has a faster acceleration than Ronin. The Ronin also has touring gears available from TVS it self. However, I have heard that getting a touring kit for the Apache is difficult since it requires a lot of work and only a few people agree to do it.

Now, the choice is yours. Do you want a faster motorcycle or a more comfortable motorcycle. Honestly, this is also subjective. A lot of people find the sporty seating more comfortable than the upright positioned seating of the Ronin.

One of the most important reason to buy either the Apache or Ronin is the performance they both provide at such reasonable mileage. So I believe if you are looking for mileage you are already on the right track. (Assuming you do not want a 150cc bike).

I hope this helps you make a good choice for yourself. Happy Motoring and ride Safe.
GetemNowboom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 16:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Your driving style should be a major factor in choosing. Ronin is better for relaxed driving, RTR 200 for sporty driving, first off the redline kind of.
Ronin is all-rounder and would give you better mileage in city driving.
What bike for touring?
Because I plan to tour during the semester holidays 😁
Old 9th July 2023, 16:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Apache RTR 4V v. Ronin:
the Apache has a higher mounted pillion seat which most people find uncomfortable, especially older people like our parents. Therefore again I went with Ronin because the pillion seat is not really higher mounted.
Yes, my parents have had issues sitting on the pillion seat of the Apache. So I guess Ronin would be the best choice here.

Which bike in case of touring?
As I intend to tour during my semester holidays 😁.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks