Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2023, 13:15   #16
BHPian

re: Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The heart now wants the INT 650, but the mind says that the KTM is still good for a year or two more.
My interpretation is that you have decided you want the Inty 650 with alloys. And that only major major issues can dissuade you from going ahead with this. And that's generally a good place to be me thinks!

Quick glance through of the 650 twins thread and 4-5 ownership threads will tell you that folks are quite happy with this bike.

@nasirkaka has gone ahead and even made it more versatile with some excellent mechanical mods.
Tubeless spoke setup. (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)
Suspension & other mods (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin).

Personally, I want one version of the RE 650 engine in my garage too. A scram or adv variant is what I'm waiting for.

Based on the general consensus, I don't see why you shouldn't just get one haha!

All that said, there is nothing that beats the value of a KTM Adventure 390 in the current market, provided one is ok working that engine. I had booked one myself and to date would be fully invested in one if I was more of a solo rider.
@RedLiner and @rb2399 are two people that come to mind w.r.t. TBHP who have put together, covered all sorts of terrains in India. And you yourself have put 22k kms on it.

Off topic - I don't want to get into the alloy vs spoke wheels topic. I got myself a tubeless spoked setup. Best of both worlds

If it's just pure attraction, maybe you want to try a multi bike setup

Last edited by shyamg28 : 1st April 2023 at 13:17.
shyamg28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 17:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Parrys mate besides the need for change what are the other factors besides just looks that is urging you to trade your KTM ADV390 for RE Interceptor? Meaning what is the purpose behind buying RE Interceptor?
There's no major purpose as such, I love the old school charm. I love the ride feel, the overall appeal, and I want to ease off from the current hooligan riding style given that I am not getting any younger. No specific riding requirement from the INT 650, but to paste a smile on my face. And hopefully, get it to look like a brat bike in the future.

I really have no issues with my ADV, just this itch, which has been there since long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
My interpretation is that you have decided you want the Inty 650 with alloys. And that only major major issues can dissuade you from going ahead with this. And that's generally a good place to be me thinks!
Yes, there is no major NEED. No HURRY. A few friends have already given a green signal that the engine will last, and that they have not faced any issues / downtime.

Multi-bike garage won't make much sense. 1 bike will always gather more dust, and I would hate to do that. So I just need one, which I would hate to get off from.

A few photos of me from the INT 650 review shoot last January.

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-reinterceptor65038-large.jpeg

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-reinterceptor65041-large.jpeg

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-reinterceptor65047-large.jpeg

What I am seeking from this thread is, RED FLAGS about the INT 650, if any...

Last edited by parrys : 1st April 2023 at 17:32.
parrys is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 18:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:

The biggest issues are the weight and ergonomics. If you are fine with those, you can go ahead with what your heart desires.

Do ride it in traffic once and see if the weight and engine heat is manageable.

Apart from those, you lose the electronic aids which KTM has. So take a informed call.
ToThePoint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 21:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Going by the spy shots, the foot peg looks more centre-set compared to INT 650. It looks like...

I am not sure I would enjoy a centre-set-peg + fully upright riding stance.
Yeah, the footpegs are more center-set than the Int, and that's one of the main reasons I am waiting. You can check in the spy images there there is some bend in the knees and some lean to the handlebars.

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-1.jpg

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-2.jpg
advstreak is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 00:34   #20
BHPian

I gave up on the Interceptor to waiting for the 2023 390, hence essentially the reverse. I can only say this - you are essentially downgrading, though the power figures are higher and a parallel twin - the punch, the electronics safety net - all that is a miss and the bouncy suspension might want you selling it off after you have experienced a bike like the 390 adventure. Consider a used Triumph scrambler - best of both worlds.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:01   #21
BANNED

I am in the similar dilemma. I am 5.5, and Duke Adventure 390 is little high, so thinking about Dominar 400 or Interceptor 650. In between some spy shots of Shotgun makes me think if I should wait till launches. Does anyone know when is Shotgun expected to launch? Any advice would be highly appreciated. I am looking for touring purpose + city rides.
Old 2nd April 2023, 14:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
I gave up on the Interceptor to waiting for the 2023 390, hence essentially the reverse. I can only say this - you are essentially downgrading, though the power figures are higher and a parallel twin - the punch, the electronics safety net - all that is a miss and the bouncy suspension might want you selling it off after you have experienced a bike like the 390 adventure. Consider a used Triumph scrambler - best of both worlds.
Agree to all points, even when it comes to dynamics, the ADV > INT for sure.

But, I am a person who sold his Verna and got home a Thar back in 2015
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 19:18   #23

Quote:
I have always loved the 650cc twin, ever since I took it for a spin for the first time, and then on review shoots. Initially, I was a fan of the CGT 650, since I also owned the GT 535 for a year when it was launched. But after I spent some long hours on the Interceptor 650, I was sure that this is a more versatile format. Looks cool too.

I had been waiting for a long time for alloy wheel variants, and now I can't make up my mind.

Why can't I make up my mind? I currently own the KTM 390 ADV, ridden it over 22,000 kms in 3 years, and I have faced no major issues. Mine is the first lot bike, so the initial software issues aside, my ownership & riding experience has been very rewarding.

The heart now wants the INT 650, but the mind says that the KTM is still good for a year or two more.

Seeking advice, if the RE INT 650 is a reliable motorcycle?
Can owners highlight the BIG PROBLEMS which are inevitable? Does the engine need any major rework at set intervals?

I hate being stuck on the road, due to a breakdown. My KTM has never let me down, ever. So I want to keep up with that ride track record.

Attachment 2435666

Attachment 2435667

I am a KTM RC 390 and RE CI Bullet owner and I'm thinking buying an INT 650 too. In my case, INT 650 never attracted me when I saw it. I felt like an Okayish bike. In fact, I didn't really like its head design as much as my RE CI Bullet. Once my dad and I went to a nearby electronics shop to buy a TV and we had the RE showroom very near to that shop so I thought of test driving it and it changed my view about INT 650. May be, I was really yearning for a tourer for some time as we've been touring in the RC for some time. The engine is way way way more refined than the 390(I never though I'd love a refined engine and I never thought I cared about refinement). I knew before buying the 390 that its not as refined as other bikes in its class. The torque spread is just so amazing. I am that guy who only cared about peak bhp and torque and I never cared about the dyno graph and riding this bike made me research that a lot. The flat torque curve of INT 650 makes it so easy to ride without much gear change. Many people say that the sound is fantastic. While I agree that its much better than other bikes, I don't really feel its loud enough but with an aftermarket exhaust, it's just eargasm. I loved the exhaust styling like you said but it makes the pillion uncomfortable and the seat is also pretty bad for long rides. What I really like about this is INT 650 is a clean slate to be modified according to our likes. I've never done any mods to my RC 390 but I will surely mod my INT 650. It's more like a bike that I'm gonna build rather than buy.

For me, it's gonna be INT 650 vs Shotgun but shotgun is not out yet. I really wish if I could get a bike with RE CL Bullet with the performance of the 650s. That'd be just so great.

I think KTM is going to be more reliable than the RE any day but RE is possibly going to be more durable. I could be wrong here because one guy checked the oil quality of bikes to see if they have metal parts and RE came first

These insect like styling ages so fast and RE won't age and even if it does, it just adds to the character. My 1986 bull looks much better than many 5 year old bikes and to be really frank, I'm not that guy who treats bike as a queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Anyone who loves spokes over alloys, atleast in interceptor, just need to have one puncture at an isolated place, all there love for spoked wheels will come crashing down.

That guy is me. My first bike is RE CI Bullet. It had this beautiful spoke wheels but I disliked it so much since all my friends had Pulsars during that time when I was 18. I thought alloys were much better and even requested my dad to change it to alloys but my dad(with better design thinking) said that alloys look horrible and of course I disagreed with him.

Later, I bought the KTM RC 390 which came with alloys but that's when I started enjoying the beauty of the spoke wheels. I haven't seen the INT 650 with alloys in real but to be really frank, if I'd be buying one, I want the one with spoke wheels. Even the engine, the blacked out theme might save you from water spot but I still love the chrome look more. I wish if they found some ways to stop water spots without changing the color.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd April 2023 at 05:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged
LiamJose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 20:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Weight, if that is a matter of concern; it really weighs a lot, especially when parked in congested places or when you park there're no vehicles around & when you leave there're many vehicles around & it just isn't possible to move the bike with tight spaces around. This is a very practical problem!! Its extremely difficult to ride Interceptor like a commuter motorcycle inside the city where you'll be forced to ride like one sometimes. Even for a skilled rider, it's little dangerous.

Puncture is a nightmare, enough has been said, I will 100% agree. Alloys can mitigate to an extent, but RE being RE, I would personally wait for few months to hear any horror stories before switching {Yamaha FZ & even KTM had alloy wheel issues at their infancy}. Let's keep this factor aside for now hoping the alloy wheels would make soon to the market.

RE's 221.7 Bhp per tonne & 246.7 Nm per ton vs 390's 242.37 Bhp per tone & 209 Nm per ton isn't that great a difference, while the 390's TFT display, riding aids, loads of electronics, fantastic suspension, GC all of them pit against 2 factors of Interceptor - extra cylinder & 270 degree firing order.

ASC issues are neutral as all brands undergo this torture

Whatever one says, the engineering, especially the ergonomics are really bad with Interceptor; the left bazooka burnt both my Wife's & Daughter's calf muscle. Pillion comfort is good if one can practice squatting while moving. And ofcourse the suspension is unforgiving, forget the bad roads, even on uneven road surface & that's for the rider.

Then, besides all these why would I opt for Interceptor?
1. Music of 270 degree firing
2. Interceptor is a little rare sight (remember most KTMs look alike)
3. Addictive torque
4. You're no longer in the single cylinder category {even if I were offered BSA Goldstar for 2L on-road, nope, I wouldn't touch it, but that's me}
5. Wide spread ASC across the nation from Thoise to Tawang to Kanyakumari to Lakhpat

All said, Interceptor is a fantastic package for the 80s!!
aargee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 23:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Weight, if that is a matter of concern; it really weighs a lot, especially when parked in congested places or when you park there're no vehicles around & when you leave there're many vehicles around & it just isn't possible to move the bike with tight spaces around. This is a very practical problem!! Its extremely difficult to ride Interceptor like a commuter motorcycle inside the city where you'll be forced to ride like one sometimes. Even for a skilled rider, it's little dangerous.

Puncture is a nightmare, enough has been said, I will 100% agree. Alloys can mitigate to an extent, but RE being RE, I would personally wait for few months to hear any horror stories before switching {Yamaha FZ & even KTM had alloy wheel issues at their infancy}. Let's keep this factor aside for now hoping the alloy wheels would make soon to the market.

RE's 221.7 Bhp per tonne & 246.7 Nm per ton vs 390's 242.37 Bhp per tone & 209 Nm per ton isn't that great a difference, while the 390's TFT display, riding aids, loads of electronics, fantastic suspension, GC all of them pit against 2 factors of Interceptor - extra cylinder & 270 degree firing order.

ASC issues are neutral as all brands undergo this torture

Whatever one says, the engineering, especially the ergonomics are really bad with Interceptor; the left bazooka burnt both my Wife's & Daughter's calf muscle. Pillion comfort is good if one can practice squatting while moving. And ofcourse the suspension is unforgiving, forget the bad roads, even on uneven road surface & that's for the rider.

Then, besides all these why would I opt for Interceptor?
1. Music of 270 degree firing
2. Interceptor is a little rare sight (remember most KTMs look alike)
3. Addictive torque
4. You're no longer in the single cylinder category {even if I were offered BSA Goldstar for 2L on-road, nope, I wouldn't touch it, but that's me}
5. Wide spread ASC across the nation from Thoise to Tawang to Kanyakumari to Lakhpat

All said, Interceptor is a fantastic package for the 80s!!
Well, I was born in 1989, so I think I qualify for that fantastic package

1, 2, 3 - I agree.
4 - From the new owner of the BSA brand, I would not even buy an accessory (Speaking specifically about two-wheelers)

5 - I won't do too much long distance touring, except Mumbai to Goa. Parents are getting older, feeling more of the responsibility. But yes, a good service network reach is reassuring.

I am ok with the weight, as motorcycle is more of a destress / detox exercise for me. Not a commuting tool.

Can't really call my ADV plush either, but I know, that the INT is unsettled way more over uneven roads compared to the KTM.

Pillion comfort, I just don't care. My motorcycles are for me, anyone at the back having a problem can go get a cab.

Last edited by parrys : 2nd April 2023 at 23:27.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I was born in 1989, so I think I qualify for that fantastic package
What I intent to say is 47 Bhp, 53 Nm torque, retro styling, ABS, slipper clutch, hard suspension, spoked wheels are awesome in 1980s. Alloy wheels, TFT color display, multi step adjustable suspension, ride by wire are some of today's technologies.

I'm sorry, if my message mislead you
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What I intent to say is 47 Bhp, 53 Nm torque, retro styling, ABS, slipper clutch, hard suspension, spoked wheels are awesome in 1980s. Alloy wheels, TFT color display, multi step adjustable suspension, ride by wire are some of today's technologies.

I'm sorry, if my message mislead you
I guess it is my smitten approach towards the bike which is more misleading.

Everything makes sense, how the 390 ADV is superior to the INT 650.
But that twin-cylinder is a gem, when it comes to torque & smoothness. I absolutely love wringing the throttle on the 390, and should I cancel this plan, I will have no problems with it.

I have not visited the showroom yet, so I guess I am a safe step behind from buying the RE. But it is stuck in my head, since a long time.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 14:27   #28
BHPian

I had a rental Interceptor for a day or two. I know the weight drawback has been done to death on this thread but I made such a fool of myself with this bike that I have to share: I park at home in an uneven spot (dirt and an arrangement of cut rock) and have been able to reverse out on the Classic Meteor and Scram. This bike would just not budge. Getting off and pulling? I nearly dropped it. So I had to go forward and right through a thorny overhanging bush instead 😂

Later at a pump my foot slipped on an underground tank sump cover. Down we went and since I hadn’t yet fitted the annoying fuel filler cap back on, I was treated to the lovely sight of fuel glugging out of the tank straight into my day bag. It took two guys to help me and the bike back up. My ego of course never recovered!

Otherwise I enjoyed the bike (not as much as the Classic at low speeds though, it may not be as frantic as a KTM but you still have to work it to enjoy it) but I think I need a year at the gym to deal with the weight. For reference I’m 5’9” and 74 kilos…
Vikram9193 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 16:56   #29
BHPian

I have an Inty from the first batches. It has done around 17k kms till now which includes multiple long rides. As on today I am really happy with the ownership experience. It has never left me stranded on any of the many long rides I have done.
The engine is an absolute gem. Its a simple, fun 650 twin and is torquey and ultra smooth. I like my vehicle to be as simple and mechanical as possible, with only the absolutely necessary electronics. So for me, the Inty ticks the right boxes with its analog twin pod dials and retro design. But for someone who is looking for gadgetry and gizmos, then its not the bike for such buyer.

The bikes from first batches had some issues like the fuel cap rubber seal cut, the infamous wobbling because of the Pirelli's, RR unit malfunctioned on many bikes, but all of these are sorted in the new ones. As for me, I had 3 issues which got taken care of well by the ASS.

1. Fuel filler cap rubber seal was cut causing water to enter the tank, replaced in warranty
2. Speedo sensor on the front wheel went kaput, replaced in warranty.
3. Engine check and ABS light came up during a ride, RR unit was at fault, replaced in
extended warranty.

The only cons I can think of are,
- The bike is heavy and also seat is high, so taking it out of a tight parking sometimes is difficult, also you can not lift the bike from the rear and drag it out like we usually do with smaller/ lighter bikes
- Given the pillion foot rest position, it is not a comfortable place to be for a pillion on long rides
- The 18" tyre size options are extremely limited in the market. Though I am happy with the Ralco's on my bike with sealed tubeless spoke rims.

What I have come to realize after having ridden the Inty is that there is no replacement for that extra cylinder when comparing it with other bikes in the price segment. Others may match on paper, but riding a ultra smooth torquey twin is different kind of rush altogether.
ishan12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

This thread is about you trying to counter every argument against you getting the Interceptor. Clearly you want it and you can afford it, so what's stopping you ?

Quote:
I just don't want a mechanical nightmare.
It isn't, otherwise you would've already seen threads and the social media on fire by now.

Motorcycles, especially the ones you're riding and dreaming about aren't a "practical" choice in any way, shape or form. Its a matter of what the heart wants and as long as you are in line with its capabilities you're all good to go.
And practically speaking, you're ready for a change after 3 years with the 390 Adventure. Do you really think that the Interceptor would do worse than that ?

The Interceptor is an amazing machine to ride in the hills, good on highways, not very happy in the city but honestly if that was the only bike I had, I would adapt to its nuances. Honestly I would keep the Interceptor with an Ather/iQube in an ideal garage if my city runs rise dramatically.

Was fortunate enough to spend 10 days with a friend's bike and I do share the same experience.
Even if not going out, I used to just fire up the Interceptor and move it around the garage to listen to that sound. And talking of looks, this is from a very memorable ride in the hills where the Interceptor just sang through and earned a unique place in my heart.

Name:  int_crp.png
Views: 690
Size:  896.3 KB

Happy Riding.

Last edited by shancz : 3rd April 2023 at 19:20. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks