Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 12:18   #1

Motorcycle for a beginner | What's the suitable cubic capacity?

Hello everyone welcome to this thread. I searched far and wide across the lands of Team-Bhp and could not find anything related to which CC (engine capacity) is the best for a first time biker. I am 5'3 and will turn 18 next year and wanted to know a could beginner motorcycle that provides a balance of performance and practicality. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by graaja : 28th May 2023 at 20:37. Reason: Adding “engine capacity” to better define CC
OffTheLine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 18:10   #2
BHPian

re: Motorcycle for a beginner | What's the suitable cubic capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheLine View Post
Hello everyone welcome to this thread. I searched far and wide across the lands of Team-Bhp and could not find anything related to which CC (engine capacity) is the best for a first time biker. I am 5'3 and will turn 18 next year and wanted to know a could beginner motorcycle that provides a balance of performance and practicality. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you !

Hello @OffTheLine! Welcome to TBHP I think that there are two things that you need to consider whilst buying your first bike.

1. Displacement/CC isn't all that big a deal. The Power that the bike produces is more important
2. The Purpose of the Bike you're looking for and what you're looking to achieve with your motorcycle.

With regard to the first point, we have a wide range of options in the motorcycle market today across various price points, having various styles and of course, various types of engines suited to various purposes. To better help you understand this, let me tell you about my use case. My 2022 Himalayan is my first motorcycle, which I purchase just about a year ago. I had owned an Ather for a few months prior but hadn't ridden anything beyond a couple of scooters or a cycle prior to that.

My intentions with my bike were pretty clear. I wanted a comfortable motorcycle and also always wanted to tour the country and travel to different places. Hence ADVs always appealed to me over other types of bikes. I learnt to ride a motorcycle on my friend's Yamaha FZS and SP 125 (Not because they were low on displacement, but because those were the only bikes at my disposal at the time ). After this, I test-rode my friend's Himalayan and fell in love with the bike. A lot of people said, "Listen, 400cc is way too much for a beginner", but I would be quick to point out to them that it makes only about 24hp, which is IMO perfect for a beginner (Not too much to get carried away, but not too little to get bored easily). The high low-end torque also helped me better master my clutch action whilst being forgiving.

So I would say look for a bike that has between 20-25 HP, coupled with your purpose for this bike. Make sure to test-ride the bikes in contention before making your choice, and do update this thread with your contemplations/decisions. Cheers!

Last edited by graaja : 28th May 2023 at 20:39. Reason: Updating quoted text
WhiskeyTangoFox is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 19:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone welcome to this thread. I searched far and wide across the lands of Team-Bhp and could not find anything related to which CC (engine capacity) is the best for a first time biker. I am 5'3 and will turn 18 next year and wanted to know a could beginner motorcycle that provides a balance of performance and practicality. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you !
My sister was in similar situation, as she wanted to start motorcycling with "basic" bike and but couldn't decide where to start. She is 5'2" and around 57 kgs. We started our hunt with TVS Sport. Following were our shortlisted bikes before we finalized Avenger street 160.

TVS Sport - She said would better ride her Access

Splendor - Narrow body and handlebar, Short seat height but again, she didn't want to be seen on Splendor (understandable),

TVS Raider - She didn't like front look (She said its front is "exposed" and ugly),

Apache 160 2v/180 2v - She liked looks, was comfortable riding it but SA didn't know when they would get next lot with updated emission norms. SA was pushing towards 4V but she didn't like looks,

Hero Glamour 125, Xtreme 160, Pulsar NS 125/160/200, Scram 411, - No problem with looks but rejected due to taller seat height,

TVS Ronin - Felt heavier and didn't like meter console placement,

RE Hunter 350 - Loved looks and torque but riding posture not comfortable, after test ride she felt pain in wrist,

Unicorn 160 - Loved its simple looks and smoothness (test rode friend's Bs4 model), but seat is taller and felt hard to manage in city,

RE Meteor 350 - Loved looks and torque but was VERY heavy to manage in city and traffic, plus she was getting too much attention on road which she didn't like,

Avenger Cruise 220 - Too much chrome,

Avenger Street 160 - Loved new all black look, very Comfortable, Neither heavy nor light, larger bike feeling without noise, low seat height.

Booked one on 15th April, made full payment next day and got oven fresh BS 6.2 piece delivered on 17th with E20 sticker on tank . According to SA our bike was the first E20 Compliant Avenger in our city.

So, for you I would recommend Apache 180 2V and Avenger Street 160 / Cruise 220 considering your height and you are being new to riding. I would not suggest entry level bikes as you would outgrow them in literally no time and well, though they are practical you are too young to consider that kind of practicality. But at the same time also advice you to focus on mechanicals, ride quality, comfort and not some fancy screens and riding modes and connectivity and all.

Motorcycle for a beginner | What's the suitable cubic capacity?-aveng-160-1.jpg
Mandatory Pooja

Motorcycle for a beginner | What's the suitable cubic capacity?-avenger-160-han.jpg
That big bike feeling with no non-sense simple controls

Motorcycle for a beginner | What's the suitable cubic capacity?-avenger-160-tus.jpg
Happy rider, Happier us.

Happy and Safe Riding.

Last edited by graaja : 28th May 2023 at 20:40. Reason: Updating quoted text
JJay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 21:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Hello @OffTheLine! Welcome to TBHP I think that there are two things that you need to consider whilst buying your first bike.
Thank you so much for such a detailed answer. This is very helpful ! I will check it out and short list some bikes available in the second hand market in accordance to this information.

Congratulations on the new bike ! I will definitely check the Avenger out. In also not sure how much taller I will grow but this seems like a good place to start with. Thank you !

Last edited by Eddy : 28th May 2023 at 23:22. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
OffTheLine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 09:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post

1. Displacement/CC isn't all that big a deal. The Power that the bike produces is more important
2. The Purpose of the Bike you're looking for and what you're looking to achieve with your motorcycle.

Mods please move this to a new or relevant thread if this is inappropriate here.
Hello fellow BHPians,
I ride a 2016 TVS Victor 110cc which has completed 54,806 KM on the ODO.
I have a daily commute of 35 kms.
I fill fuel for Rs.500 every week.
My bike returns 37KMPL.
Should I get a new two wheeler or continue with this bike?
If I should get a new one, then please help me to choose the right vehicle for me.
Old 29th May 2023, 09:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am 5'3 and will turn 18 next year and wanted to know a could beginner motorcycle that provides a balance of performance and practicality.
I hope you have first learnt to ride a bike? If not, first do that! Beg, borrow or steal, get a second hand bike that fits your frame and where you can flat foot your feet. Grab it from a relative or buy. I would suggest anything from the 100~125cc capacity to start off with. It may be 10-12 years old, doesn't matter. After living with it for a couple of months you will be able to understand what really excites you. Take a new bike decision then.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 16:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle for a beginner | What's the suitable cubic capacity?

If you are specifically asking what cubic capacity is appropriate for a beginner then I'd obviously say the least whatever that is be it 50cc or 100cc. That said, there is a lot of merit to owning a bike with a confidence inspiring chassis as that will help you learn more as well as afford you more control over the bike. Keeping that in mind I'd say something like the Yamaha MT-15 is the perfect beginner bike in our country.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 16:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
beginner motorcycle that provides a balance of performance and practicality. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Honda Shine 125 or R15 or KTM 390 or Interceptor 650 or Versys 650 or Z900 or even Versys 1000

Noticed any similarity? Almost all the motorcycles above are trouble free including ASC. That relieves 50% headache on the ownership experience.

The remaining aspects, namely balance, performance, and practicality, rely on the dexterity of your right wrist and its ability to act rationally, independent of the impulsive tendencies associated with the adolescent limbic system.

Point - You can buy any motorcycle you want provided you're always in control of it
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 17:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Depends on how old the beginner is and how experienced he is on the road. My suggestion for you would be something in the Splendor - Unicorn range of displacement, air cooled. Maximum of 200cc, no more. Liquid cooled engines for the same given displacement will pack more power, so watch out.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 17:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Honda Shine 125 or R15 or KTM 390 or Interceptor 650 or Versys 650 or Z900 or even Versys 1000

Noticed any similarity? Almost all the motorcycles above are trouble free including ASC. That relieves 50% headache on the ownership experience.

The remaining aspects, namely balance, performance, and practicality, rely on the dexterity of your right wrist and its ability to act rationally, independent of the impulsive tendencies associated with the adolescent limbic system.

Point - You can buy any motorcycle you want provided you're always in control of it
Thank you for this advice. This certainly makes things easier for me to understand. But another reason I want a lower capacity bike is because I'm not sure where I'm going to go to college yet.

Due to this, I want to purchase a bike to make daily commuters and rides to places I want easier. But thanks for the advice !
Old 29th May 2023, 18:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone welcome to this thread. I searched far and wide across the lands of Team-Bhp and could not find anything related to which CC (engine capacity) is the best for a first time biker. I am 5'3 and will turn 18 next year and wanted to know a could beginner motorcycle that provides a balance of performance and practicality. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
My 2 cents. Since you are a beginner please go with any bike with 100 to 150cc and not more than that. Blindly suggesting motorcycles under 150cc because you have not mentioned your requirements.. Is it for Commuting? Daily Errands? Touring?

If i were you i would have picked up a well maintained second hand bike, would have learnt riding properly, gain experience and once i started earning would have upgraded to a higher capacity motorcycle.

By doing so you are gaining riding experience plus saving a huge sum of money of your parents! along with you getting to know whether you like motorcycles or not!

Do think about it.

Last edited by Oppanna : 29th May 2023 at 19:02.
Oppanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 19:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for this advice. This certainly makes things easier for me to understand. But another reason I want a lower capacity bike is because I'm not sure where I'm going to go to college yet.

Due to this, I want to purchase a bike to make daily commuters and rides to places I want easier. But thanks for the advice !
You should also set a price point, how much are you going to spend. Also consider at least single-channel ABS as a must. As per your requirements, few good suggestions can be-
  • Yamaha FZ, MT-15 or FZ25 depending on which you prefer.
  • TVS Apache 160 2v or 4v
  • Bajaj Pulsar N160 or NS160 (Both have dual-channel ABS, unique in the segment)
  • Hero Xtreme 160r or Xpulse 200T 4v
  • Honda Hornet 2.0
ProLearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 20:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Any bike in 150CC-200CC range is good for a beginner because the bike offers a right balance between being easy to learn and also give you the rush when needed. My first bike is a P180 UG3 which met this requirement quite well back 15 years ago. For you I would suggest any bike in the range mentioned above with a dual channel ABS.
Old 30th May 2023, 22:33   #14
BHPian

First motorcycle is like getting a set of wings for yourself off the showroom floor. It is once a lifetime experience and better be enjoyed responsibly. As it's so simple to get carried away while at it. I have had many unpleasant experiences in the past as I had over estimated my skills. Only later I realised that I should have been a more logical with my pick. Engine size or displacement doesn't matter at all if the process of enjoying your first ride couldn't be sustainable. So I suggest you pick according to your skill set and not on the basis of others opinion (especially your mates). I personally want you to have a great time riding your first motorcycle and not want you to get overwhelmed by it and end up in a tricky scene. It could be either a humble 100cc or an 1L in line four but it should suit you first and not others. I say make a list of top 5 bikes and test ride them each. Go for the one that strikes a good balance between fun and logic.
Thanks!

Last edited by Phantom 510 : 30th May 2023 at 22:34.
Old 31st May 2023, 04:58   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

One Size does NOT fit all.

I learned to ride (under the radar) on a 50cc Enfield Explorer. And a little more on a TVS50XL. I also learned a little about power on a Yezdi D 250 Classic. And fell off a Bullet many times. However the typical 100cc commuter bikes were easy peasy to ride and use.

During this same period in those faraway teenage years, I learned how drive multiple vehicles, Jeeps, Tractors (with trailers), Column shift geared cars, light trucks and all.

I chose 4 wheels or 6 right then, over 2 wheels.

So, it is NOT at all about the Cubic Capacity, Size and Weight and all. It is ONLY about what YOU are comfortable with.

So I would say do lots of test rides. And you’ll find the perfect fit, which makes for a great companion in your motorcycling adventures.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks