Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2023, 09:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Your motorcycle doesn't have to be the best motorcycle

My two cents to this.
I have always bought a bike that pulled the right strings of my heart. Never cared about what others said about the bike.
My first bike was the 1st gen TVS Apache in the era of Bajaj pulsars. I had a lot of fun on that bike.
The second one that I bought was RE thunderbird twinspark. Again, a bike that was considered as unreliable and problematic but believe me in all those 20,000 kms, never ever it left me stranded.
The bike had its limitations but then I knew about them when I bought it.

I ride a cb300r these days. It was never in my consideration list when I went shopping. But then again, it brought a smile on my face when I test rode it. It has its drawbacks ( stuff suspensions) but I am always smiling when I am on the bike.

Coming to these reviews, I must admit that I didnt remember most of the stuff they said on the bikes I had shortlisted. My shortlist was based on certain criteria and was happy to select a bike not in my original list.

And here, I disagree with Samba. The best motorcycle is the one you are riding.

Last edited by Samegoodkid : 30th May 2023 at 09:27.
Samegoodkid is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 10:32   #17

Agreed, Society in general has become very sensitive, one should not care what the society thinks if he/she finds happiness (legally) in whatever one desire's.
Cheers.
Old 30th May 2023, 11:36   #18

I agree. Great post, one should not care what 'negative' opinions other people have towards his choice. After all its 'his choice', he paid for the bike, he will be enjoying the bike. Why should we even care what negative comments other people have to make about our choice. For example if i love an Apache then its my choice, if any other person comes to me and tells me that this bike has more power than yours, etc. Then why would i even care. I will simply agree with him and still enjoy my own choice.

Cheers.
Old 30th May 2023, 21:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Jeroen summed it quite nicely in his last post what path could have been taken. No sense telling people "it's about the spirit of motorcycling which they wouldn't understand anyway". Hope you get the drift.

Cheers...
@dkaile sir, I truly believe that @SaintAdventure's lack of using double quotes for that particular sentence, has been misunderstood as though he himself is saying it to the reader.
I am fairly certain it was meant as a way to casually sum up the response/quip/argument from the people defending the insults thrown at REs.

To me, not one point in the entire post felt like it was condescending. I did have to re-read to try and understand how it might have come across as so, but I believe that was a misinterpretation.

I cared to respond because the subject at hand is relevant in a philosophical sense, and I find it difficult to comprehend that OP would speak about the spirit of motorcycling, while lecturing the reader that they "wouldn't understand anyway"

P.S.: I don't mean to be condescending with my usage of the word "misunderstood". It is the best word I could come up with to describe what I believe might've occurred. Basically, "Shabdon pe mat jao, bhavnao ko samjho"
shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 22:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Shumi explains this quite well here
I agree that its pointless to seek validation of others. Other than that, what he says just doesn't add up completely though. Does it? He has 3 bikes that he calls the best, but he says he may replace one of them. Now, why would anyone with best bikes do that. Reading moto reviews and watching the features available is a favorite past time of people who admire them. Eventually, the enticement gets the better of you, you test ride, and may succumb to the temptation. Nobody does this if they truly believe they already have the best.

I rode a NC700x for 10 years, and I knew from the bottom of my heart that the BMW GS1250 was a much better bike, comfort, handling, accessories - most departments. I just did not want to spend that much money at that time, given how much I used to ride. That said, owning the best does not mean contention. One could be super content/happy knowing very well of the short comings. I was super duper happy to ride my tiny NC700, I am just as content to ride my GS. I am sure the novelty will wear, and I will be back looking for the answer to the question, "what is the best bike for me, right now".

People make mistakes in bike selection all the time. Too many nagging tech issues, too uncomfortable, too expensive to maintain, hard to handle, etc. They cant wish the issues to vanish, lying to themselves that they have the best.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 08:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I agree that its pointless to seek validation of others. Other than that, what he says just doesn't add up completely though. Does it? He has 3 bikes that he calls the best, but he says he may replace one of them. Now, why would anyone with best bikes do that. Reading moto reviews and watching the features available is a favorite past time of people who admire them. Eventually, the enticement gets the better of you, you test ride, and may succumb to the temptation. Nobody does this if they truly believe they already have the best.
They are the best motorcycles because they have your name on it. Not because of their capabilities.
The fundamental here is not that one motorcycle is better than another so on and so forth. It is that once you get something home, it is yours and yours alone to do with as you choose. In that sense, to each individual, it automatically becomes the best motorcycle they own
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 11:32   #22
BHPian

I had discussed this with Shumi about this a year ago on Instagram when I started having the itch to upgrade barely 3 months into my Himalayan ownership because of the lack of power. Shumi makes the same points on that video. I had covered 3000 km at that point and he just asked me to ride it more in different conditions, including off-road. What may appeal to you may not appeal to others. It’s not our botheration to think that someone is saying something about your bike. You have to be concerned if YOU aren’t happy. Upgrade if you feel the need to upgrade.
Regarding the Dominar, I’m accustomed to fast motorcycles now, even if they’re heavy, thanks to my Himalayan being my daily driver. I was amazed at the many people calling it heavy, stiff etc. Its a horse if not a cheetah. 40 hp that can excite you. I thought of buying it as my city bike but my larger goals to buy a bigger ADV for touring a little later made me change my plans, and that the Himalayan would feel lighter. It does, compared to the Multistrada 1200S used example that I test rode recently.

Others were outright critical of RE - typical heavy, problematic etc etc. 1 year and 5 months, 15700 km , Powerage exhaust later, I’d say I love my Himmy. The need for power? Yes. All rounder? Yes. The feel of a proper ADV? Yes! Ride some more everytime anyone passes their opinion and show them what it’s capable of.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 1st June 2023 at 11:38.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 19:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
@dkaile sir, I truly believe that @SaintAdventure's lack of using double quotes for that particular sentence, has been misunderstood as though he himself is saying it to the reader.
I am fairly certain it was meant as a way to casually sum up the response/quip/argument from the people defending the insults thrown at REs......
Thank You. I was just thinking of how best to say that, but I'll go and correct my mistake first I guess. I didn't think a double quotes would be needed.
SaintAdventure is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks