Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2023, 13:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda patents two e-scooters with 80 km range in India

Honda has filed patents for two new electric scooters in India, called the 'Dax e:' and 'Zoomer e:'. Both quirky-looking models are electric versions of their petrol counterparts.

Honda patents two e-scooters with 80 km range in India-hondaactivaelectricrightsideview0.jpg

The Dax e: and Zoomer e: look pretty basic and utilitarian compared to offerings from Ola Electric and Ather Energy. The Dax e: features a circular headlamp, a single seat and a raised handlebar, while the Zoomer e: has a single seat with a footboard and dual headlamps.

Honda patents two e-scooters with 80 km range in India-hondaactivaelectricrightsideview1.jpg

Both e-scooters are said to be powered by a hub-mounted electric motor sourced from Bosch. They have a claimed top speed of 25 km/h and can cover 80 km on a single charge.

Honda's first e-scooter for the Indian market is said to be an electric version of the Activa. Whether the Dax e: and Zoomer e: will be offered in India remains to be seen.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 29th May 2023 at 13:18.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 14:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda patents two e-scooters with 80 km range in India

I would rather walk 80km than being seen on one of them. I understand they are quirky and stuff, but I am pretty sure 99% of the country agrees with me.

I thought only the 4 wheeler arm of Honda is ridiculous, the 2 wheeler folks are not that far behind. They have an absolute monopoly in the country when it comes to scooters, they have to capitalize on that instead of spending time on DoA models. They have been complacent for far too long, really need a kick up the backside.
professortarzan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 14:17   #3
BHPian

These remind me of the motocompo which folded and fit in the trunk of the Honda City Turbo II. That combination was always very interesting - I am still looking for a scale model replica of the same.

Honda patents two e-scooters with 80 km range in India-capture.png
(image courtesy: BBC top gear)

These could have a use in the last mile connectivity/delivery scene, but can already imagine what level of stress they will add to the already overloaded traffic infra in smaller roads.

Looks cute, should be fun to ride!

Last edited by cr4nkshaft : 29th May 2023 at 14:19.
cr4nkshaft is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 15:22   #4
BHPian

Zoomer e: reminds me traditional Moped. It may be a good replacement for TVS XL100 if priced right.
snallagatla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 12:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snallagatla View Post
Zoomer e: reminds me traditional Moped. It may be a good replacement for TVS XL100 if priced right.
Not Quite a replacement i think, the tvs xl100 provides reliability and robustness and can easily touch at least 50kmph.
With 25kmph as top speed, these e-mopeds have limited usability.
Old 30th May 2023, 12:38   #6
BHPian

The Zoomer e looks lovely. I regret not buying Navi when it was getting sold. I am not hopeful that they will launch Zoomer e here in India because this is one of those Honda products that was made only for China. But if they launch it here, then I am going to buy this ugly thing.
Animesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 13:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quirkier than the Navi. Neither looks too appealing - definitely not the first. Cant carry anything, cant seat a pillion. What would one use it for - going to the ATM ?

The second is a little better with some space to carry a small parcel.

Or are these aimed at school kids to go to school ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 17:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

With 25 kmph speeds these two frail and freak looking two wheelers will fall in the low speed e-2 wheeler category. They will neither need RTO registrations nor licences to drive. This segment is dominated by Chinese imports where every other such two wheeler I see these days is a different design and a different make. Some are retro styled like the Lambretta LD 150's or the newer Piaggio Vespas.

Must say that if at all these are introduced by HMSIL it would be a very shrewd move. That's because in FY 2022-23, of the 1.17 million EV's sold, two wheelers sales at 720,733 units saw YoY growth of 185% (FY2022: 252,539 units) and accounted for 61.5% of total EV sales in India.

These could be aimed at teens, senior citizens, ladies and those fed up paying Rs 105-110 a litre for petrol. Honda has its brand equity and will be preferred over other unknown brands by many buyers. It could grab a good share of the low speed e-2 wheeler pie.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st May 2023 at 05:32. Reason: As requested
Old 31st May 2023, 10:05   #9
BHPian

The models in pictures above are pedal assisted electric mopeds. You can notice the pedal in both these models. These look irrelevant to our market, no one will want to pedal in traffic or under hot sun. The models in these pictures are China specific models launched earlier this year (link). Probably Honda will launch completely different full size electric two-wheeler models under the Dax-e & Zoomer-e name for the Indian market.
Old 31st May 2023, 10:23   #10
BHPian

If you intend to sell something (& I'm sure these e-scooters will easily cost upwards of INR 50K, if not 1L), why not make sure it appeals to the masses? Why would someone, in the Indian market at least, spend their hard earned money on something that looks weird & wacky, doesn't have a basic pillion seat?

When you've better options from Ola, Ather & others in the market, I have a feeling that this will go straight into the trash.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks