Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which suits the requiremens?
Petrol Scooter 51 36.96%
Electric Scooter 87 63.04%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2023, 13:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Electric vs Petrol scooter | Need advice

Even though I voted for electric. My recommendation for you is to look for a pre owned ICE in good condition. I got an 2019 activa 5g with only 7k on it for 40k. It works like a charm. If you can find a similar one then go for it.
Now coming to your cons for EV 2W.
1. It won't happen. Even if the battery is low it'll only
enter limp mode. Power delivery is better compared to
ICE If you and your mother are fine on ICE you'll be fine
on EV as well.
2. Charging Infrastructure is issue for electric cars. For
2W do you have access to charging at home or not is
a deciding factor.
3. Can't do anything about it.
4. Takes time but not an issue. Just go for a TD and all
will be clear.
Your running is low to go for EV. But if you can justify the premium you'll be paying to yourself, the go for it by all means. VFM doesn't exist in today's market. Whether you buy EV or ICE. Ola Air is a good option for 85k, costs almost same as the new activa. But Ola's front fork is not that confidence inducing. Ather is way overpriced for what it's offering compared to others. iQube is also good option. Your running not enough to warrant you to spend 1L or above on EVs. Go for lower spec variants but not for Ather, you'll do just fine with the range lower spec variants as well. Rest is all up to you.
P.S. For Ather pro makes more sense. X is just waste of money. Better to go with Ola or TVS.

Last edited by Clown Prince : 23rd June 2023 at 13:55.
Clown Prince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 00:05   #32

In the case of Electric Scooters, need to know what is proceedure adopted to ensure the motor doesnt overheat. Recently happen to read about Hero Vida V1 Pro doing 1780km in 24 hours. How is it done without the motor getting over heated.
Shiv7154 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 05:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
Cons of getting an electric scooter (Mostly quoted by my mother) :
1) May struggle to take 2 people (?)
No, you can easily commute with a pillion. There are adjustable power delivery modes, when you need that push to clear a hill.
Quote:
2) Charging infrastructure is still not very developed
Depends on how you ride. The actual range figures are adequate for city rides. One needs to adjust to the dynamics of an EV.
Quote:
4) After being used to a petrol, adjusting may be difficult.
You would be surprised that it will be the other way around. I've ridden Ather and the Warp mode in it is addictive and helpful for those small window overtakes. In contrast, I need to plan my overtakes well in advance in my personal ICE scooter (125 CC Honda Grazia)

Quote:
Pros of getting a petrol scooter :
1) Have run in the past, Is running in the present, and will run for a long time to come.
Electric may not the defacto solution, but it sure is to stay.
Quote:
2) Convenient in terms of fuel compared to Charging stations
Depends on the use case, but true.
Quote:
3) No range anxiety
Again depends on riding style, use case.
Quote:
4) Something that we are obviously used to.
EV's are easier to adjust than how people think about it. But of course, your mileage may vary.

For scooters, as its mostly used intra city, EVs make sense. Options from Ather seems expensive, but worth the price from my experience. Can't comment about iQube.

If you plan to go the ICE route, avoid Honda at all cost. They have poor quality control these days.

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 24th June 2023 at 13:13. Reason: Incorrect quoting
subie_socal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 23:13   #34
BHPian

I'm thinking of buying a scooter for short rides. We have not had a two-wheeler in the family since... I don't know, may 10-15 years. Now I have a daughter who I need to take to a daycare that's like 2-3kms away and then my table tennis academy which is again a single-digit km away. I hate to take my Hector for these trips because of the bulk and also I come back from table tennis all sweaty and it gets the leather seats all mushy and smelly. I'd ideally like to buy an Alto or such but there is no parking space in my apartment.

Given the daily run of less than 10km or such, I don't even need a very high-performance scooter. I looked up the electric scooters on offer and some interesting options came up in TVS iQube, Hero Vida, Bajaj Chetak, Ather, Ola, and Simple One. I'm kind of inclined towards something that has a detachable battery since that's more convenient to charge for me, but I'm yet to check them out in the flesh.

On the other spectrum is Activa 6G which is 30-60K cheaper and more established. But I think electric scooters will have better NVH which could be a day-to-day difference. Also, no trips to fuel bunks

Cost is no bar. Considering the usage, I'm not too concerned about the range or performance either. Might even settle for a cheaper but reliable scooter as long as it drives well. Will update this post once I test-drive a few electric scooters and make up my mind.

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 16th November 2023 at 23:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks