Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 20:11   #1

Starting problem with my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

I have a problem with my Interceptor 650 which is only three months old (bought in March 2023). Specifically, the issue is with the ignition of my motorcycle. Two months ago, I went to a friend’s place and when it was time to leave, I put in my key and turned it to switch on the ignition. Doing this turned on the usual lights/indicators in the cockpit and turned on the headlight. However, when I pushed the self-start button, there was a slight clicking noise and the cockpit lights and headlight went off and the engine didn’t start. I pressed the self-start button a couple of times but nothing happened. Then I turned the key to the “off” position and turned it back to the “on” position after a couple of seconds and this time the cockpit lights and headlight didn’t even turn on.

I thought of calling roadside assistance and turned the key again to the off position before making the call. However, a couple of seconds later I thought of giving one last try and turned the key back to on position. This time, the cockpit lights and headlight turned on and pushing the self-start button also started the engine. This was weird.

I came back home and then dropped my bike at the service center next day and explained this issue to them. They asked me to leave the bike for a day as they would need time to analyze it. They kept my bike for that day at their service center and called me up next day to inform that white coating had accumulated on electrical wiring which they had cleaned now. I picked up my bike that day and it was running fine till yesterday when ignition issue appeared once again but this time turning key on and off a couple of times did the trick. I am not sure what’s causing this issue.

I should mention that before yesterday, my bike was not used for 2weeks straight as I was not keeping well and didn't go out for a ride. Also, I am thinking getting my bike inspected by my non-RE mechanic but I was thinking if getting the fault (if any) serviced at non-RE garage voids my warranty?.
satypal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:12   #2
BHPian

re: Starting problem with my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

There seems to be loose connection with battery. Get these rechecked.
ajay0612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:43   #3
BHPian

re: Starting problem with my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

This happened on my 2019 Interceptor. The battery-dropping charge is the culprit here. I use a battery tender since day 1 and only 1 month shy of completing 4 years I have encountered this problem. The bike being idle for only two weeks should not be cause for worry on a 4-month bike with a new battery. Do check the terminal connections and relays.
Any battery shop will check your battery's fitness and charge them overnight for 100 bucks.
Do keep us informed of your findings.

Happy motoring.
adrift@life is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 10:32   #4
BHPian

Re: Starting problem with my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

There was a recall for the earlier 650 bikes. My friend had the exact same issue as yours and it turned out to be some relay's and fuses that were replaced with a higher grade material! Please speak to your asc if your bike is in warranty!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 13:01   #5

Thank you guys. Earlier when this happened for the very first time, I asked the service coordinator at RE service center to check for the battery connections as well. However, he said that it was okay. So, I wanted to have a second opinion from a non-RE mechanic but let me visit the RE service center once again and ask them specifically to look for the battery's fitness as well as for loose connections.
Old 18th July 2023, 13:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Does not seem like a fuse issue, as you are not getting crank at all, plus yours is 2023 model which already comes with upgraded Relays.

Get the connection and battery checked, that seems to be the main culprit at thsi point of time, or probably the switch assembly itself.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 09:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satypal View Post
They kept my bike for that day at their service center and called me up next day to inform that white coating had accumulated on electrical wiring which they had cleaned now.
Where exactly was this white coating found? I assume thats the battery terminal.

If you have a multi meter, check the battery voltage at idle (as in engine off) and even when you crank. As long as the voltage recovers in an instant, you're all good. Maybe a case of premature battery failure too.

2 weeks of idle time is fine as these bikes are fitted with a AGM battery. They can hold charge for a couple of months, even without a battery tender attached to them.

I'd use a trickle charger or battery tender only if the bike is left unused for extended periods of time. Its more to keep the health of the battery in check. That said, a battery tender cannot help a failing or faulty battery.

Observe for some more time. While you're in warranty, its best to stay with the Authorized Dealer.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 10:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satypal View Post
I have a problem with my Interceptor 650 which is only three months old (bought in March 2023).
Had this been a problem with battery voltage, the bike wouldn't have started on subsequent attempts. It may be a problem with the ignition switch. Please get it checked and changed under warranty.

Quote:
They kept my bike for that day at their service center and called me up next day to inform that white coating had accumulated on electrical wiring which they had cleaned now.
There is no place for salt deposition except the battery terminals which should be cleaned during the routine service. Please check details what they are referring to.

Quote:
Also, I am thinking getting my bike inspected by my non-RE mechanic but I was thinking if getting the fault (if any) serviced at non-RE garage voids my warranty?.
You may always get it checked at a FNG if there is a reliability issue with the service centre. Just get the fault diagnosed but get it repaired under warranty.

Please update once the fault is diagnosed and rectified.

Last edited by aviator1101 : 19th July 2023 at 10:07. Reason: Adding content
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 15:57   #9
BHPian

The problem is with the relays. I had the exact same issue and was resolved with the change of relays, the relay replacement was recommended in the RE system for my bike. One of the issues which the technician pointed out was that the relays were also interchanged between the starting relay and the accessory relay..
praveen.ba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 16:46   #10

Quick Update on my issue-

This afternoon, I dropped off my bike at the RE service center. It has been quite a busy day for me, so I wasn’t able to contact the service person after dropping off my bike. I was expecting a callback from them by now but haven’t received one yet but I plan to call them up soon and will post an update here afterwards.
satypal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:40   #11

Final update-

I received my bike yesterday and the RE service guy said that there were two reasons for my problem. Firstly, the connection to the battery terminal was loose and secondly, there was rust in the coil inside the spark plug cap due to which the engine was failing to start. He said that because of this, once the key was turned on and after the system check, the bike was failing to start. They also replaced the spark plug cap.

While I understand the issue with the loose connection to the battery terminal, I am not sure if the rusted coil of the spark plug cap was also one of the reasons for the issue with my bike. However, I did ride the bike yesterday night for 4kms roughly while halting at few places but the issue didn’t crop up again.

The cost of the replaced spark plug was 250/-
satypal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 20:28   #12
BHPian

I can't say about battery issues in Interceptor per se but it is surely not related to either the battery as a component or bike lying idle for a couple weeks.

I have perhaps treated my bike's (Yamaha R-15 v3) battery the worst, never connected with any sort of external charger and sometimes don't use my bike for months at a stretch with longest being maybe 6 months.

Bike (and battery) is 4.5 years old but even yesterday (after lying unused for 4 months) bike started in an instant, AGM batteries (and perhaps Yamaha's engineering) are great!
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 14:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
I can't say about battery issues in Interceptor per se but it is surely not related to either the battery as a component or bike lying idle for a couple weeks.

I have perhaps treated my bike's (Yamaha R-15 v3) battery the worst, never connected with any sort of external charger and sometimes don't use my bike for months at a stretch with longest being maybe 6 months.

Bike (and battery) is 4.5 years old but even yesterday (after lying unused for 4 months) bike started in an instant, AGM batteries (and perhaps Yamaha's engineering) are great!
Yamaha even in India is at another level, forget their international offerings. It is very unfortunate that we get none of their best bikes here, even their sub-500cc bikes would be a great addition to our motorbike scene.
Old 24th August 2023, 13:50   #14

Just wanted to share the following which might be of help to someone referring this thread. My friend's interceptor (which was previously mine) had similar issues which was difficult to troubleshoot - starting problem, turning off randomly etc. It was diagnosed to be problem with the ignition switch - which when cleaned the problem was resolved - so it could be due to dirt/dust accumulation within it.
sreejithsin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 08:17   #15
BHPian

I faced stalling issue after battery drain out incident regarding which I had posted earlier. In a 48 Km ride, bike stalled 21 time and it was terrible, even when your riding in 55+ kmph in highway. Was totally annoyed. Luckily without a fall brought back bike home and booked for next available service slot. At home checked battery connection and cleaned relays. But still while going to ASC issue existed up but not so frequent. By 9 am was in ASC and explained service advisors about issue and asked them to check relays, battery health and spark plug. They asked me to leave bike at service center since they have to do a proper check up and have to ride it after diagnosing the problem. By evening 4 go the call informing bike is ready for collection and they have replaced spark plug caps under warranty. Since then have ridden it for 300+ km and didn't faced any issue.
And to my surprise after two days service advisor Mr Arun of Company service center in Cochin called me and check on present condition and asked to call him anytime if any issue pop ups. While on regular 2nd service another service advisor informed they are replacing spark plug caps of all OBD2 Interceptor 650 under warranty. Happy to know RE is prompt to rollout fix and are not hesitating to replace parts under warranty.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5645733 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)
Attached Thumbnails
Starting problem with my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-int.jpg  

Last edited by Turbosailor : 29th November 2023 at 08:23. Reason: Inserted link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks