Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2023, 12:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Has Royal Enfield overused their J-Series engine platform a bit too much across products?

I don't think so. Why change something if it is working perfectly? And yes, they are doing some minor changes and refinements continuously for that engine. Also they are generating great volumes, then why not? Using one platform gives larger profits and also easy to manage volumes. Just look at Maruti, they use K series 1.2 and 1.5 engines in almost all their cars now and sell over 1.5 Lakhs cars every month. Their profits are also on rise, then why not?
Old 25th September 2023, 12:52   #17
BHPian

Re: Has Royal Enfield overused their J-Series engine platform a bit too much across products?

I, on the other hand, have always wondered why RE didn't put the 411cc engine in a more relaxed, cruiser-style frame. It has more power and torque than the J series engine. It could have made a good highway tourer for relaxed riding.

Having to design a new frame might have helped them make it a bit lighter too.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 14:15   #18
BHPian

When Maruti used Fiat's 1.3L multijet in all their cars, the engine was christened the national engine of India. Now it's turn for a 2-wheeler national engine of India and who better than RE to do it
anshumandun is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 15:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Do we even remember a certain engine made by Fiat & sized about 1.3 L?
AKA the National Engine of India!
Old 25th September 2023, 18:19   #20
BHPian

Nothing wrong, their J Series engines (single and twin) are performing really well. In fact I am waiting for the Himalayan 650.
Old 28th September 2023, 12:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavshet View Post
The products are excellent in their own right, just that their soul has to be matched with the nature of the motorcycle.
Despite the same engine and same tune, they feel quite different across the motorcycles because of the rider triangles, weight and the exhaust.

The classic feels like it's at home in both the city and highway and can do so with loads of style and sound effects.

The meteor feels like it was designed for long dr
Quote:
The products are excellent in their own right, just that their soul has to be matched with the nature of the motorcycle.
Despite the same engine and same tune, they feel quite different across the motorcycles because of the rider triangles, weight and the exhaust.

The classic feels like it's at home in both the city and highway and can do so with loads of style and sound effects.

The meteor feels like it was designed for long rides.

The hunter being much lighter is peppier than these two but has a harder suspension.

I haven't yet ridden the new bullet.

Now for the 650s. The interceptor feels like it's always ready to slingshot you forward.

The super meteor looses the trigger happiness but feels more mature.

I haven't tried the Continental GT.

They have different souls and nature despite having the same heart.

The hunter being much lighter is peppier than these two but has a harder suspension.

I haven't yet ridden the new bullet.

Now for the 650s. The interceptor feels like it's always ready to slingshot you forward.

The super meteor looses the trigger happiness but feels more mature.

I haven't tried the Continental GT.

They do have different souls and nature despite having the same heart.

Last edited by evil_grin : 28th September 2023 at 12:10.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 21:28   #22
BHPian

I don't know if I will sound dumb, but, why don't two wheeler manufacturers think seriously about hybrids like in four wheelers.

And they can use a beefed up Acg starter system and use it as a motor with some LFP battery backup. Especially for bigger size engines.

Ofcourse it will be a pioneering work, but, it might just be the medicine, the doctor asked for and the ailing patient requires.

Old 2nd October 2023, 17:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios9406 View Post
I don't know if I will sound dumb, but, why don't two wheeler manufacturers think seriously about hybrids like in four wheelers.
They do, but only Yamaha. The Fascino uses a beefed up starter motor which could turn into a hub mounted or something in the future.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 18:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

The RX Series had the same story right?

RX100
RX125
RXG
RX135-4Sp
RX135-4SP-CatCon
RX135-5Sp-CatCon
RX135-5Sp-Tiger/Round Speedo/Thin CatCon
RXZ-4sp
RXZ-5sp-CatCon

Am I missing any more?

How many of that legend was sold, any one has data?

---------------------------------

EDIT
On the opposite end of Spectrum... Lol

CD100
CD100SS
Sleek
Splendor
Passion
Joy
Street
Dawn
Pro Classic

Edit-2... My Home Town Boy (Hosur) not to be left behind...
Ind Suzuki
TVS Suzuki
Supra
Samurai
Shogun
Shaolin
Max100
Max100R

Last edited by svsantosh : 2nd October 2023 at 18:13.
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 09:19   #25

Heck no! They all are selling in decent numbers by RE's standards, so they haven't done anything wrong.

Also: more options for the buyers. So, everyone wins!
Old 18th October 2023, 10:55   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Reusing engines is not limited to RE, nor to 2 wheelers. Considering the enormous amount of investment that goes into engine R&D, all automotive sector players, reuse the engines across their product lines as much as possible. Even heavy machinery players, not just car and bike makers.

Maximum application of the same engines, results in faster return on investment and profitability, and better shareholder benefits.

Also - its a model that Maruti (and eventually many others) have mastered & RE is following. Give a lot of options with same basic DNA and small changes in the same showroom. Let the customer have umpteen choices. Internal cannibalization of a product within the same showroom, is far better than the customer going and buying a different brand's product. Also - such cannibalization more often than not - results in an upsell to a costlier product, and more profit margin.

Lower spectrum products eventually are used mainly as a step, to sell the more premium product once the customer is hooked in a showroom. Its sales and marketing 101 really.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 14:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding using the engine as a differentiator, we are well beyond the phase where we made choices solely on engine power/torque. Upping the power has its own development cycle and also a constraint from the emissions etc. Detuned engines don't attract the same junta especially when you are launching flagship products.

My original post was to gauge interest as to how the members of the forum are perceiving the recent strategies of RE.
The topic is interesting but at the manufacturer's end, things are bound by one major factor - to keep the costs under control. Primarily because India is a cost conscious market and brand loyalty has taken a back seat long time back.

Once upon a time, RE used to be called the "Raja Gaadi", but gone are those times. Since the launch of UCE Classic 350, RE has never looked back and has reached out to the masses in an unprecedented manner and reached the pole position in the 350cc category. Now, the most difficult part of any leader is to maintain the pole position, it's no different with RE.

To churn out products which are more affable to the masses, they have created a cruiser and three roadsters with the same engine and there's nothing wrong with that. Because these motorcycles, though with same engine, have very different characteristics.

The Meteor is a successor of the Thunderbird which has its own fan club.
The Classic Reborn similarly replaced the UCE Classic, which became an all time favourite post 2009/10.
Hunter is the new lad in town and probably the first RE shod with 17 inchers, comparatively light weight and for the younger lot.
Bullet has a position of its own especially in some parts of Northern and Southern states where even today the standard bullet with pinstriped tank would account for 50% of the sales. Such is the fan following.

So, if you study the market demand, RE didn't have to do much to find buyers for its new J series based products. Then why would they fix something that isn't broken?

Nonetheless, suffice to know that despite the engine being same, the primary difference between these bikes (except Classic and Bullet which are exactly identical) are the tyre sizes and sprocket sizes which affect the handling, acceleration and top speeds of each bike.

Last edited by aviator1101 : 18th October 2023 at 14:56. Reason: Adding content
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 15:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just FYI
Kawasaki: Uses the same 649cc parallel twin on Z650, Versys 650, Ninja 650 & Vulcan S
Honda: Uses the same 286cc single cylinder on CB300R, CBR300R, CRF300L, CRF300 Rally
Ducati: Uses their 937cc engine on SuperSport, Hypermotard 950, Multistrada 950 & Monster 937
Yamaha: Uses their 847cc engine on MT-09, Tracer 900 & XSR900
Suzuki: Uses their 645cc engine on SV650 & V-Strom 650

Point is: RE is just copycat, they're not alone

Maruti does the same too!!

The same old 1.5L engine across all their cars!
Old 18th October 2023, 16:44   #29
BHPian

Once you have a winning product, it is common to use in various platforms. The practice is not limited only to motorcycle manufacturers. And why only own engine, example the Fiat Multijet diesel engine was India's national engine.

The state of tune does make a big difference. In case of RE, every bike has a slightly different feel and will give you option as per comfort. A Hunter can not be compared to Classic nor can Interceptor to Super meteor, they are so different in ride and performance.

The latest of the lot, Bullet 350 is so close to Classic in every sense, but it still has a different feel because of the seating configuration and paint job. In short you have a product line to capture every segment and age group.

I say it is a beauty the way RE has engineered their engines with a thought of reuse. They have a common assembly line for engines. Such a huge cost cutting advantage.

Last edited by HillMan : 18th October 2023 at 16:53.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 17:09   #30
BHPian

I recently learnt that between the old Classic 350 and the UCE TBTS 350, even though most people thought there might be changed to the engine that made them feel like different bikes and the Thunderbird more relaxed, the difference is only in chassis geometry (heavier too) and the longer exhaust which helped TB to be more refined compared to Classic 350. This was enough for people to call them different bikes. Small things like these matter. It doesn't come down to assuming and genralising things.

For example, I felt that the Hunter engine felt nervous after 80-90km/hr speeds while Hunter was happy to do 100-110km/hr. Haven't tried Classic 350 yet but I've heard that it rides somewhere between both of them. Between manufacturers who have a dedicated marketing and R&D before launching a product, I disagree that comes down to something as simple a "soul of a motorcycle" when launching something. The target is always mass market and if you ask someone on the street, they'll call these as different motorcycles.
Bismaya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks