Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2023, 18:35   #1
BHPian

Which fully synthetic engine oil for Enfield J series engines?

How is your experience using fully synthetic engine oil on the RE classic 350 J series engine?

Which brand do you use and why?

The recommended oil change interval is 6 months, so do you change the oil every 6 months, or much after that interval?

Given that the standard RE oil is already semi-synthetic, I wonder if it's really useful to shift to a fully synthetic oil. If one were going on long tours in the mountains with a full load, but not cruise at more than 90 kmph, would it really make a significant different to engine health if I used fully synthetic?
Old 23rd September 2023, 19:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which fully synthetic engine oil for Enfield J series engines?

If I were you, I would stick to what the manufacturer recommends. Not what some (anonymous) guys on the Internet, without any research facility's, tells you.

Just a thought of course.

Let’s face it, without access to literally tonnes of data, the capacity, the capability and the knowledge to go through the data and come to meaningful conclusions, any advice on the Internet about oils is highly suspect.

There might be the occasional person, who actually has access to all of the above and it would be interesting to hear what he or she says. People who drive cars, or even folks, like dealers who fix cars are unlikely to have meaningful data and or insights into what different oils do to an engine.

I know, because I have actually been testing lub oils as part of my professional career. And I keep telling people: stick to the manufacturer recommended oil grade and stick to the specifications your car/engine manufacturer recommends. Don’t worry too much about brand. Worry about what the manufacturer recommends. You can’t go wrong with that.

Jeroen

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 21:15   #3
BHPian

Re: Which fully synthetic engine oil for Enfield J series engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsvaga View Post
How is your experience using fully synthetic engine oil on the RE classic 350 J series engine?

I don't have any idea, as per internet API SL 15w50 is used in this bike. Is it correct?

Which brand do you use and why?

When it comes to motorcycles, Motul is the best brand

The recommended oil change interval is 6 months, so do you change the oil every 6 months, or much after that interval?
Never overshoot recommended interval no matter what diamond studded oil you use. But, if the motorcycle is used very rarely, you can extend at risk

Given that the standard RE oil is already semi-synthetic, I wonder if it's really useful to shift to a fully synthetic oil. If one were going on long tours in the mountains with a full load, but not cruise at more than 90 kmph, would it really make a significant different to engine health if I used fully synthetic?
Some answers in bold. For the last one, semisynthetic oil should be good enough. If you are looking for the best oil, Motul 300v and 7100 are the best. You can also opt for equivalent Shell or Mobil grades, like Shell Advance Ultra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
If I were you, I would stick to what the manufacturer recommends. Not what some (anonymous) guys on the Internet, without any research facility's, tells you.
I agree that manufacturer recommended grades are best (but not the oil brand, I myself suggest the same. However, some factory filled oils, or manufacturer provided motorcycle oils (like Yamalube or Bajaj dtsi 10000 etc.) are too much uncomfortable to ride, especially in the first 20k kms. Moreover, I have never seen anyone riding a pulsar for 10k kilometers on Bajaj 10000 oil, although it is claimed to be usable for this duration.

If I were OP, I would experiment myself and find out which oil suits my riding style the best, which oil has the smoothest gear shifts and which oil is not impacting my budget. But not everyone enjoys experimentation and getting stuck with an uncomfortable oil for few thousand kilometers.
Hence, asking for other rider experiences is an easy fix and a workable (not best) solution to the problem.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 23rd September 2023 at 21:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks