Team-BHP > Motorbikes


Reply
  Search this Thread
6,579 views
Old 29th October 2023, 19:26   #1
BHPian
 
JDMBOI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Sonipat
Posts: 77
Thanked: 915 Times
1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Purchased
Purchased in May 2022. It has been 1.5 years. Cost- Rs 1,03,000.(Top model) in Sonipat, Haryana.

During Delivery
1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-1651579365095.jpg

Recent picture
1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_145415.jpg

Other scooters considered
Activa and Jupiter. Selected Access as we have old generation access (2012) (Review link - LINK (11 Years with a Suzuki Access 125 | Ownership Review) ) trust factor, good service centre relation, good acceleration and smooth ride.

Odometer Reading
17180
1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_141918_1.jpg

Daily Running - 50 KM ish

Mileage 50 KMPL (Not tank to tank)

Tyre
Front - 90/90 - 12
Rear - 90/100 – 10

Engine - 4- Stroke, 1-Cylinder, Air Cooled.

Brakes
  • Front - Disc.
  • Rear - Drum.
1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_144923_1.jpg

Likes
  1. Acceleration - Less effort to get going from a complete stop and have good power throughout.
  2. Seat - The seat is wide and soft and which provides comfortable ride for both occupants.
  3. Suspension - Ride quality is good, not stiff as old generation access. It absorbs bumps and goes over speed breakers easily.
  4. Disk brake - Appreciate them over drum brakes.
  5. Lock - Love the locking mechanism of access plus they provided a button for shutter lock whereas in old generation you have to do it manually.

    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_142048_1.jpg
    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_142059_1.jpg
  6. Ground Clearance - It's ample, no problem at all.
  7. LED headlight- Throw is good.
    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_142014.jpg
  8. Mobile Charging - Would come in handy when running low on power. Never used it though.
    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_144724.jpg
  9. Exhaust Cover - Exhaust pipe has a cover.

    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_142202.jpg
  10. Storage - It is wide and deep.
    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_144819.jpg

Dislikes
  1. LED Headlight - LED lights don't go well with Fog. I find it difficult to see with white LED light. (You see more when light is OFF compared to when it's ON)
  2. Key - The key can only be inserted only from one side only, not upside down.
  3. Combi Brake - Not a fan of them, I feel less confident with new access. (Maybe I am accustomed to old and use new access occasionally)
  4. Fuel cap - Hate the lock mechanism. Have faced problem many times. (more on that below)
    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_142137.jpg
  5. Button quality - The button quality (Horn, turn signal) provided is a downgrade from old generation.
  6. Fuel pump - Fuel pump noise is high (when you turn on ignition it can be heard) but it goes away after 2-3 seconds.
  7. No headlight button - Can't turn off headlight.
  8. Poor design - Not a fan of new access prefer old design (Subjective)
  9. Protection bar - It protrude more and cover the side foot rest area plus the footrest is little inside to my liking.

    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_144454_1.jpg

    The small foot ride provide good comfort but I don't like this design.

    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_144420_1.jpg
  10. Useless side view mirrors - The Chrome mirrors provided (with top variant) are useless, can't see a thing.
  11. Digital Cluster - Call me old school but I prefer analog over digital.
  12. Fuel - Total fuel bars are 5. As it is direct injection, you have to keep an eye on fuel level (We were told to keep at least 3 bar of fuel and not to fill above 4 bar by the sales executive as low level of fuel means fuel pump has to work more and may lead to pump failure and then possible engine damage too) I wasn't happy, exchanged few words with the service and sales guy because this kind of thing should be told before purchase)

THINGS I WANT
  1. Pass button
  2. Headlight Button.
  3. Fuel cap location under the seat.

Service Cost
Always got it serviced at authorized service centre. Applied for AMC card (Rs 950 ish) as daily use is more. It includes, discount on parts, labour charges, 4 extra washing and few more items.

Problem faced
First

Have faced starting issue. Sometime, it won't start (battery is good) IMO it has to do something with engine kill switch. Was testing the switch for educational purpose and it would not start. What I did?
1- Started it using self start.
2- Pressed the engine kill switch.(after waiting for 5 second)
3- Tried to restart it with self start, it cranks but won't start.
4- Turned off ignition waited few second, turned ignition to ON, tried starting it, still no luck. (Did this step 2 more times)
5- Finally decided to use kick and it started after 2-3 kicks. weired eh! Lesson learned don't use engine kill switch.

Second

Fuel cap - Faced problem multiple times with the cap (not closing).
  1. Within few months of purchase, encountered problem (fuel cap not closing) went to service centre and they said it working fine.
  2. After few more months faced it again went to SC again, told them to change it under warranty said they are going to call Suzuki engineer to take a look, he would come after a week and will decide whether to change it or not (was unable to go when engineer came)
  3. In September 2023 had devastating experience closing the stupid cap at Petrol Station. Went again to SC and strictly advised them to do something (Was given excuse, Sir we told you to come when engineer was available but you didn't) I checked other access too at the SC and same problem on them too, looks like it is in all new Access. I asked them to change it but they said you will have to change the front lock too (Expense out of our pocket). After all WD40 was applied, now it's somewhat easier to close it. Looks like need to apply oil to the lock every month.

Parts that need replacement
  1. Back tail light has developed cracks in 1.5 years.
    1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-img_20231029_144606.jpg
  2. Turn signal switch need replacement.
  3. Rear tyre will need replacement around 20K KM.

Ride was dirty, my apologies.
CIAO

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th October 2023 at 21:47. Reason: Correcting tyre size.
JDMBOI is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:23   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TSTN
Posts: 6,212
Thanked: 9,538 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBOI View Post
Tyre
Front - 90/90 - 12
Rear - 90/100 – 12
Has Suzuki bought down the tire size in recent times or the website is outdated? Could you kindly confirm the size of the rear tire pls? Thanks

1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125-a1.jpg

Source: https://www.suzukimotorcycle.co.in/p...specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBOI View Post
Daily Running - 50 KM ish
No intention to offend you, but sharing as it could help someone else: for an average of 50 Km a day X even for 5 days a week, an EV like Ather 450 will work out more economical & the ROI should perhaps be roughly around 2 years.

Quote:
LED Headlight - LED lights don't go well with Fog. I find it difficult to see with white LED light. (You see more when light is OFF compared to when it's ON)
Combi Brake - Not a fan of them, I feel less confident with new access. (Maybe I am accustomed to old and use new access occasionally)
Fuel pump - Fuel pump noise is high (when you turn on ignition it can be heard) but it goes away after 2-3 seconds
No headlight button - Can't turn off headlight
Poor design - Not a fan of new access prefer old design (Subjective)
Protection bar - It protrude more and cover the side foot rest area plus the footrest is little inside to my liking
Digital Cluster - Call me old school but I prefer analog over digital
Pass button
Headlight Button.
Fuel cap location under the seat.
Most of the issues you've mentioned are not really an issue & more of subjective as that is what the mass market prefers & Suzuki cannot leave alone them. So IMHO, you've bought ONE OF THE BEST scooters available in the market today & these issues can be really overlooked

Quote:
Fuel - Total fuel bars are 5...this kind of thing should be told before purchase)
I think the ASC is trying to be cautious than feel sorry; the fuel pump has to be submerged inside the fuel tank to prevent it from overheating that's all. Once you know the fuel range {for instance 50 Kmpl X 5 liters = 250 Km}, you can start riding safely up to 200 odd Km & then start looking for a fuel station as you're sure to find one within 5-6 Km within major cities

Quote:
Have faced starting issue
This is a never ending issue for Access is what I've been told {like all vehicles have some kind of persistent issues} & looks like Suzuki hasn't overcome with their newer model of start/stop switch

Last edited by aargee : 30th October 2023 at 12:36.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 14:06   #3
BHPian
 
JDMBOI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Sonipat
Posts: 77
Thanked: 915 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Has Suzuki bought down the tire size in recent times or the website is outdated? Could you kindly confirm the size of the rear tire pls? Thanks
It is 10 inch. Typing mistake, my bad.

Quote:
No intention to offend you, but sharing as it could help someone else: for an average of 50 Km a day X even for 5 days a week, an EV like Ather 450 will work out more economical & the ROI should perhaps be roughly around 2 years.
Was considering to go electric at that time but infamous fire news changed our decision plus wanted reliability, by the way thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
I think the ASC is trying to be cautious than feel sorry
They told us to keep at least 3 bar and not to fill above 4 bar. Can't be staring at the fuel level all the time.

Quote:
IMHO, you've bought ONE OF THE BEST scooters available in the market today & these issues can be really overlooked.
Yes, I know that that's why we have 2 Access 125.
JDMBOI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 18:52   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 175
Thanked: 112 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBOI View Post

THINGS I WANT
  1. Pass button
  2. Headlight Button.
  3. Fuel cap location under the seat.
Congratulations and wish you safe miles ahead. last month I also bought the Access 125 which has the disc and alloys but no Digital meter and BT connectivity. So far so good.

Pass button can be installed in place of the existing high/low.
Headlight (on/Off) can be installed below the kill switch, i am waiting for regitration to complete, will most likely install the Headlight on/off switch.

Thanks
zaveed is offline  
Old 30th October 2023, 18:57   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 175
Thanked: 112 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This is a never ending issue for Access is what I've been told {like all vehicles have some kind of persistent issues} & looks like Suzuki hasn't overcome with their newer model of start/stop switch
Starting issue is sorted out in the new ones that are coming out now with e20 compatibility . there was a sensor in the earlier version and it has been removed it seems( Got this info from the showroon technician after my known mechanic spoke to him).

in the 3 weeks of ownership this issue has not popped up and i hope it stays the same way
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 21:15   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
shancz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 1,931
Thanked: 5,278 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Congrats on the scooter

Adding to everything that aargee said :

Quote:
Back tail light has developed cracks in 1.5 years
I have seen similar cracks when a cold aerosol was sprayed over a hot tail-lamp surface.
Like when I directed a perfume spray towards the instrument panel on a hot day on our previous Activa and I think even the Access.
Essentially hot plastic component + cold droplets will cause this. Not sure if this was your case.
The "tail light glass" is a separate component. But I would suggest to live with it as long as feasible since I am not very confident of the water proofing post the change. I had changed it on the Access(BS4) but during rains it gets fogged up. And once water/mist starts entering the assembly it will start degrading the reflector eventually requiring a replacement of the entire tail-lamp unit.
shancz is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 21:48   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 8,415
Thanked: 13,896 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Has Suzuki bought down the tire size in recent times or the website is outdated? Could you kindly confirm the size of the rear tire pls? Thanks

Attachment 2523380

Source: https://www.suzukimotorcycle.co.in/p...specifications
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBOI View Post
It is 10 inch. Typing mistake, my bad.
Mod Note: Corrected spec in the original post.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 07:51   #8
BHPian
 
JDMBOI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Sonipat
Posts: 77
Thanked: 915 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
I would suggest to live with it as long as feasible since I am not very confident of the water proofing post the change. I had changed it on the Access(BS4) but during rains it gets fogged up. And once water/mist starts entering the assembly it will start degrading the reflector eventually requiring a replacement of the entire tail-lamp unit.
Thanks for the heads-up, will replace it before it damages the reflectors, there are other cracks too (above these minor cracks) and it's on both sides.
JDMBOI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 09:52   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBOI View Post

Have faced starting issue. Sometime, it won't start (battery is good) IMO it has to do something with engine kill switch. Was testing the switch for educational purpose and it would not start. What I did?
1- Started it using self start.
2- Pressed the engine kill switch.(after waiting for 5 second)
3- Tried to restart it with self start, it cranks but won't start.
4- Turned off ignition waited few second, turned ignition to ON, tried starting it, still no luck. (Did this step 2 more times)
5- Finally decided to use kick and it started after 2-3 kicks. weired eh! Lesson learned don't use engine kill switch.

Second

Fuel cap - Faced problem multiple times with the cap (not closing).
[/center]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Starting issue is sorted out in the new ones that are coming out now with e20 compatibility . there was a sensor in the earlier version and it has been removed it seems( Got this info from the showroon technician after my known mechanic spoke to him).

in the 3 weeks of ownership this issue has not popped up and i hope it stays the same way
I have faced both these issues on my 2023 (E10 compliant). Scooter was parked for 10 days and it refused to start. There was no cranking sound at all but all electricals were working fine. Kick start also did not work.Towed to the service center and they said that it was rat bite to the side stand wiring which had disabled the engine start detection sensor.

About the fuel tank lid, I am also feeling that it is not easy to operate and I always struggle to close it properly. Next time I'm going to raise a complaint during service and keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 1st November 2023 at 09:59.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:03   #10
BHPian
 
jalsa777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 1,677 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBOI View Post
[*]No headlight button - Can't turn off headlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Pass button can be installed in place of the existing high/low.
Headlight (on/Off) can be installed below the kill switch, i am waiting for regitration to complete, will most likely install the Headlight on/off switch.

The head light remains ON because that is now the rule in India. This is for your own safety. It's called day time running lights.
Ever noticed that it is much easier to spot someone on the opposite side or in the mirror if their headlight is ON even during the day time?
Similarly, others can spot you approaching easier and from farther away if your headlight remains ON. These are called passive safety features, i.e. They avoid accidents.

Please do not underestimate the power of this safety feature.


On that note:
I would like to know why does the headlight remaining ON bother you? Does it have any disadvantages?
jalsa777 is offline  
Old 2nd November 2023, 14:17   #11
BHPian
 
JDMBOI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Sonipat
Posts: 77
Thanked: 915 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
The head light remains ON because that is now the rule in India. This is for your own safety.
I do know that it was implemented with BS4.

Quote:
Ever noticed that it is much easier to spot someone on the opposite side or in the mirror if their headlight is ON even during the day time?
Yes, somewhat easy when people are coming from wrong side.

Quote:
I would like to know why does the headlight remaining ON bother you? Does it have any disadvantages?
I hate this feature as people don't know how & when to use Low and High beam, blinding driver coming from opposite way and secondly this affects the battery life too.
JDMBOI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 10:17   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 175
Thanked: 112 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
It's called day time running lights.
Ever noticed that it is much easier to spot someone on the opposite side or in the mirror if their headlight is ON even during the day time?
Similarly, others can spot you approaching easier and from farther away if your headlight remains ON. These are called passive safety features, i.e. They avoid accidents.

Please do not underestimate the power of this safety feature.


On that note:
I would like to know why does the headlight remaining ON bother you? Does it have any disadvantages?
Aren't DRL's different? if it were small strips of lights like we have have on our cars i would not be worried but on this bike Whole lighting system is ON ( headlight, parking lights, Rear lights).
Agreed it helps to an extent if the bikers are coming in a wrong direction but its waste of resources IMHO.

I am not underestimating the feature but rather feature has been implemented in a wrong way. if it was the case why not just have the parking lights ON? no need for the headlights to be ON all the time.

thanks
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 21:03   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
shancz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 1,931
Thanked: 5,278 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
The head light remains ON because that is now the rule in India. This is for your own safety. It's called day time running lights
Does it have any disadvantages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBOI View Post
I hate this feature as people don't know how & when to use Low and High beam, blinding driver coming from opposite way and secondly this affects the battery life too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Aren't DRL's different? if it were small strips of lights like we have have on our cars i would not be worried but on this bike Whole lighting system is ON ( headlight, parking lights, Rear lights).
Quoting all of your related points but will answer together.

The removal of the option to switch off the headlight is called AHO(Always Headlight On) and is self explanatory. Your manual should mention it.
It was supposed to be a stop gap measure to the proper solution which are the DRL(Daytime Running Lights) and was introduced with BS4 two wheelers to improve their visibility.

Disadvantages are :
- Premature failure of headlamp and tail lamp bulbs as they're always on. I am on my second headlamp bulb and 3rd tail lamp bulb in 18000kms.
- Potential of premature deterioration of headlamp unit due to constant usage and high heat.

While some manufacturers like TVS have provided DRLs even on the XL100 Bajaj and Hero have it on their economy ranges too(maybe not all models), some are still working cheap with AHO at the customer's expense.

My question to better informed folks is that with the expensive LED setups a lot of two wheelers have either of the beams switched on in AHO. But to my knowledge LEDs have a service life measured in hours and the electronics around it are impacted by heat.
Then isn't this AHO business instead of DRLs against the customer?

Last edited by shancz : 14th November 2023 at 21:06. Reason: acc
shancz is online now  
Old 15th November 2023, 13:26   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 175
Thanked: 112 Times
Re: 1.5 years with a Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
My question to better informed folks is that with the expensive LED setups a lot of two wheelers have either of the beams switched on in AHO. But to my knowledge LEDs have a service life measured in hours and the electronics around it are impacted by heat.
Then isn't this AHO business instead of DRLs against the customer?
You are correct, LED's life is gauged in number of hours.
I went ahead and installed a Headlight On/off swtich today. just the headlights,parking lights and the rear are still On. For me the mfrs/Suppliers are just trying to make more money wth the headlights.
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks