Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2023, 14:31   #16
BHPian

Re: 2024 Honda NX500 unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
I swear, I always thought the old CB500x was the best thing for pure touring and some off-roading. Dreamed of getting that as a middle-weight bike. While this looks great, anything above 6 L ex-showroom is going to kill this thing dead. The CB500x was 6700 pounds in the UK (OTR), and 6.8L OTR here, if I'm not wrong. The Transalp 750 is 9800 pounds in the UK, and 11 L in India. Going by that, this is 6800 pounds OTR in the UK, so it could be 6.9 L or thereabouts on road on the lower side, to 7.8 L on the higher side.
Just like you, even I feel this is one of the best things for touring and mild off-road, out there. I connect with such bikes and not into the hardcore off-road bikes.

And couldn't agree more with you on the pricing part. And that's exactly how Honda will spoil this party and kill this model in India for most of us. They will not be clear on the launch timelines or the sell type of CBU/CKD, over-price it, not provide regular updates to it, and smash! Dead is the product!

Wonder whatever happened to the make in India plans of Honda for this one.
Cyber_Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 22:30   #17
BHPian

Well, another Honda pipe dream starts here!

With the current new generation 500x not having made it to our shores in the past year and a half or so, I’m wondering when, or rather if Honda even considers releasing this bike here.

Coming to the pricing, Honda being Honda might mess up the pricing upon launch!
They have a great potential here to launch it and capture quite a portion of the market, who might be waiting for the next gen 390adv from KTM, or are waiting for the new Himalayan to prove itself.
If priced right, under 6.5L on road, Honda might have a real winner. But, one can only hope!

hope the bosses at Honda have a change of heart & mind for the better, and get it to India soon!
Old 8th November 2023, 22:57   #18
BHPian

How nice it'd be for Honda to take a leaf out of Bajaj's page, and try to manufacture this bike in India, under HSMI's manufacturing facilities.

They can build a vendor base to help support the project. The lesser cost of building the motorcycle will translate into better numbers sold within India.

But the boffins must be busy coming up with Activa 10-12-15GGGGGGGGGG. :/
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 07:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Neither the KTM Adventure nor this bike are true off road machines. They are best suited for long distance touring and the occasional off road jaunt. In that regard the 20 kg weight difference won't make a big issue and the much better low end torque of the Honda will make it a lot easier to ride especially in traffic.

I had a big problem with the KTM Adventure 390 in slow-moving traffic as the low end torque was very poor.
I beg to differ. Strongly differ actually. 150-170 kilos if the perfect sweet spot for Dual Sport/ADV motorcycles.

These are not single track dirt bikes and must not be confused with "dirt bikes". They are supposed to do some off-road and some touring and are usually touted for their off-roading capabilities more than anything else.

Some examples of Dual Sport motorcycles are:

KTM 690 Enduro
Suzuki DR650
Suzuki DRZ400
Honda CRF450RL

These 4 motorcycles are under 170 kg wet weight. The Honda CRF450RL is a much more superior Dual Sport motorcycle.

Dirt bikes on the other hand (single track) almost always are not street legal and hence do not have turn signals, license plate holders, etc and usually weigh around 100 kg.

I ride in a few dual sport groups and it's common knowledge that what one can achieve on 170 kg and under becomes almost impossible at 200 kg. Riders reduce their Dual Sports even further to bring them closer to 150 kg.

Here's my DR on a light off road day. It can do much more difficult terrains as well and for this reason the 390 Adventure will turn out to be superior on off-road while the Honda may have some edge with touring.

2024 Honda NX500 unveiled-20230412.jpg
iron.head is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 08:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
How nice it'd be for Honda to take a leaf out of Bajaj's page, and try to manufacture this bike in India, under HSMI's manufacturing facilities.

They can build a vendor base to help support the project. The lesser cost of building the motorcycle will translate into better numbers sold within India.

But the boffins must be busy coming up with Activa 10-12-15GGGGGGGGGG. :/
Suzuki actually does this for the baby V-Strom. The Indian model goes out to Japan, while Australia and the rest get a 250cc twin that's lower on power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
I beg to differ. Strongly differ actually. 150-170 kilos if the perfect sweet spot for Dual Sport/ADV motorcycles.

These are not single track dirt bikes and must not be confused with "dirt bikes". They are supposed to do some off-road and some touring and are usually touted for their off-roading capabilities more than anything else.
I agree with that based off the opinion of Adam Riemann, but the NX500 and its bigger sibling aren't ADVs or dual sports. They're ADV-styled tourers. I suppose the closer comparo here is the Yamaha Tracer series, or maybe even a Versys, or a Tiger 660 (both of the last are more sports tourers if anything). This is a touring bike with ADV-styling so that you can stand on it to ease the rear end without having to stop. They can handle rough roads as well as the next bike, but nothing like a proper ADV or a dualsport.
Old 9th November 2023, 11:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Suzuki actually does this for the baby V-Strom. The Indian model goes out to Japan, while Australia and the rest get a 250cc twin that's lower on power.
@Aulus, I wish Suzuki brought the SV650 tooling to India, now that its production in Japan has almost come to an end, and make a well priced 650 V-twin.

The engine is bulletproof. And their build quality is legendary.

Imagine how good it'd be to be able to afford a reasonably priced 650 V-twin.
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 16:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post

From a Indian perspective we don't have a robust off roading culture here. Most of what off roading is done in India can easily be done on a Splendor. These bikes are used 99% for touring and not off roading. Till last year the KTM adventure came only with Alloy wheels which can break or bend under any hard core off roading. There is only one KTM model with spoke wheels.

The Honda doesn't even come with spoke wheels because it isn't meant for any serious off roading but for touring which is why even Ktm puts the Adventure 390 under the Travel category in India.

Honda has the CRF300L for those who want to enjoy both roads and off roading alike.

Last edited by bf1983 : 9th November 2023 at 17:02.
Old 11th November 2023, 21:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
The vehicle looks amazing all around. All that remains is too see what Honda does, do they continue with CB500X or bring this NX500.
They'll bring a new paint scheme of CB350 and run a huge campaign
2nd_gear_7krpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 12:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

For any bike Suzuki brings, we have to contend with horrible service. Honda Bengaluru is leagues ahead in that regard. Parts are cheaper and available, thats most important too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
@Aulus, I wish Suzuki brought the SV650 tooling to India, now that its production in Japan has almost come to an end, and make a well priced 650 V-twin.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 16:36   #25
BHPian

This is a good looking motorcycle. Much better than the CB500X. Expecting Honda to launch this in India soon is a story for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
For any bike Suzuki brings, we have to contend with horrible service.
Agree with you completely here. Friends with the VStrom 650 always crib about the pathetic service experience. Honda seems to be better they say but if they aren't able to get any of the big bikes to India even that remains to be seen.
Old 12th November 2023, 18:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_gear_7krpm View Post
They'll bring a new paint scheme of CB350 and run a huge campaign
I think there's a trademark for the name Brigade floating around, suspected to be a CB350 cruiser. Nothing's out yet though. I guess it was supposed to go up against the Meteor 350.
Old 13th November 2023, 09:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I think there's a trademark for the name Brigade floating around, suspected to be a CB350 cruiser. Nothing's out yet though. I guess it was supposed to go up against the Meteor 350.
Unless Honda brings in powerful engines (35+ bhp, twin cylinders) nobody will take them seriously. As a CB 350 owner and having ridden the motorcycle for 10k kms mostly on highways, I can attest that their 350cc engine is way too underpowered and not enjoyable to ride beyond 200kms in a day. Underpowered engines strain your body and mind way too much.

Last edited by graaja : 13th November 2023 at 11:56. Reason: Minor typo: beings -> brings
2nd_gear_7krpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 22:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
As a CB 350 owner and having ridden the motorcycle for 10k kms mostly on highways, I can attest that their 350cc engine is way too underpowered and not enjoyable to ride beyond 200kms in a day. Underpowered engines strain your body and mind way too much.
I second you on that having ridden it, the sensation is that of a smoother Classic 350. For 90% of our highways, we need atleast 45 hp of raw power like the 390 Adventure for long distances (>500 km) or 70 hp linear power like a VStrom 650, just my opinion. I remember reading on an ownership thread that a friend of his wanted more power on his CB500X.

Quote:
Most of what off roading is done in India can easily be done on a Splendor. These bikes are used 99% for touring and not off roading.
Absolutely, except some sections, its majorly severe trails. Watching Aaron Knox hustle up the Himalayan among extreme rocky trails or Pol Torres on his Tenere has me jealous of their skill and the extent of offroad culture abroad.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 14th November 2023 at 22:17.
Old 20th November 2023, 20:54   #29
BHPian

Seems like Honda will be sensible and keep it to 6.5 L or so ex-showroom, or around 7.5 L on road, as per Zigwheels. Launch is expected early next year.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 08:24   #30
BHPian

What's the official ground clearance of this thing? I see a conflict on the Honda UK website.

2024 Honda NX500 unveiled-screenshot_20231123_081728_chrome.jpg

2024 Honda NX500 unveiled-screenshot_20231123_081748_chrome.jpg

Or is there an "adventure" variant that provides 250mm?

As usual, looks mouthwatering in terms of how it would lend itself to everyday use + touring. We can only hope stars align. Maybe if it's named NX500 "G"?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks