Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2023, 10:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Budget sports bike or sports tourer for commuting and touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolp View Post
Hi, I am looking for a budget superbike or a sports tourer which I can use for daily commute as well as on occasional long tours.

My budget is 2.5 lakhs (on road). I can stretch it to 3.

Suggest me a bike please. I don't plan to buy a second hand bike.

Additional preferences:
  1. Something that's comfortable for hours of ride. 3-4 hours of continuous riding/driving shouldn't be an issue. Pillion support isn't mandatory.
  2. Suspensions that allow running over potholes/bumps without too much of an issue. Take the Meteor 350 for example - you'll fly off if you miss one (pothole/bump) .
    [

I'll keep my recommendation to 1 bike - Suzuki SX250 V-strom.
This is a very competent motorcycle and I think will suit your requirements well.

The quarter litre engine is a gem. And it will give enough bang for the buck with its ride quality, build and performance.

You may book a week long test ride for this bike from any good rental service and experience for yourself. Also compare with other bikes recommended by other enthusiastic members

And let us know how this went.
Old 14th November 2023, 11:37   #17
BHPian

I will suggest CB 300R now after the recent price cuts.

Pros are absolutely niggle free ownership even if you plan to keep it for a really long time. Do it all, city and highway cruising with same bike.
Old 14th November 2023, 13:01   #18
BHPian

Hi bigolp,

Well, if I may share my thoughts, your requirements have Suzuki Gixxer 250 SF written all over it. The bike is sufficiently sporty to handle highway runs / breakfast rides / weekend outstation trips while being practical as well to handle daily commutes, not to mention reliable enough. I found the fueling of the bike to be spot on, and had me grinning ear-to-ear for the time I was with the bike. Though I would say there were some vibration related issues reported and discussed in detail in this forum(I believe distinguished bhpian neil.jericho has written detailed posts on that issue, worth checking out). Otherwise, the following bikes come to my mind(avoiding bikes with long stroke motors as I have a feeling that it's not to your tastes):

1. Honda CB300R : Seconding suggestion from another bhpian after the recent price cuts. Reliable, sporty and nimble, might serve you well for years as long as parts availability ain't a problem.

2. Yamaha FZ25 : Quite under-rated and a little outdated due to the lack of tech package. Torquey and frugal quarter mil. Reliable too. However, Yamaha's approach towards continuation of this bike in our market needs to be seen.

3. Kawasaki bikes in the used market : If you're lucky enough to find a well maintained one, then by all means go for it, as it would be any day better than the current single cylinder offerings.

Hope this helps, cheers!

SS
ss11011988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 13:27   #19
BHPian

The biggest bang for your buck will be the KTM Duke & RC series. While a little crude & vibey due its huge piston for the 390 series (its bigger than even the Enfield 500cc) its a light bike that provides enough trills to keep one satisfied for a long time. It’s well put togeather and has all the current “must have” features.
Old 14th November 2023, 14:45   #20
BHPian

Hi.
If you are okay with street or adv motorcycles, the options open up. However should you be insistent on a faired motorcycle, there are only 5 options within 5 lakhs.
1. Gixxer Sf 250/150
2. Hero Karizma 210/hero xtreme 200s
3. Something 300cc from Keeway
4. R15
5. Ninja 300

Of these, I have owned the sf250 after extensive riding of the other options (except Keeway and karzima 210) and found it to be hands down the best faired motorcycle in the sub 5 lakh category for the following pros and cons. I'm also writing down just the cons of the other 2 equally good engines in this price segment - the Ninja 300 and the R15.

Gixxer SF250 pros - superb engine rev range without weak spots/great gearing/zero heating or annoying fan sounds/ excellent suspension/comfortable rider seat for long hours/superb body balance/ very responsive chassis/lightweight to manage/both radial tyres, widest in class/well put together body/truly flexible indicators/minimal electronics (a merit in my books)/ sober colour options (a merit to my living + riding environment) / inexpensive parts and service /good acceleration and top speed figures/very good mileage/ good headlights

The cons are - not a head turner (except in anniversary colours)/ Service experience may vary in quality, verify your neighbourhood dealer/ not a special sounding exhaust/ not tech laden (a merit for me)/ lower resale value/high pillion perch

Now compare that to cons of the other two top contenders in the range -

R15 cons- aggressive rider posture/ almost nil pillion comfort/ smaller displacement engine/ chappri image and you will soon outgrow it for anything else aside from track use/tearing around bylanes.

Kawasaki 300 cons - horrible ground clearance/ super expensive service (in comparison to above two) / very poor service network across India (just 30 centres or so, almost just 1 per state)/ expensive parts, prolonged waiting period in case unique damages arise/ uncomfortable pillion seat / lesser mileage than above two (tho more fun, but only in higher rpms) / enjoyable only at higher rpms...

Both these have pros as well, but the very fact that you are asking for public opinion makes me presume you have no prior experience in this segment so would not be looking for specialized skill set usage that they cater to. As a do-it-all bike, tough to beat the Gixxer at its price.

Do try the Karzima 210 if you feel attracted to it visually...i found the seating comfortable for long hours, you could assess the rest. I'm leaving out the xtreme 200s for it's extremely middling highway performance.

Have left out KTM RC since u explicitly mentioned not being interested and you've got to anchor yourself somewhere, else will be going in circles.

All the best with whatever you choose.
AnAntinspired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 15:07   #21
BHPian

Check out the Pulsar F250/N250. They're sport bikes. Comfortable for touring. Have enough power to get some decent mile munching done. I wouldn't really suggest to go with Suzuki. The rr310 is also a great tourer. The riding position is not that aggressive and the engine is very reliable.
venukrithish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 17:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
The biggest bang for your buck will be the KTM Duke & RC series. [..]
Since many of you are suggesting KTM Adv bikes, I would like to mention once again that those bikes are too tall for my comfort. Please see post #12 (Budget sports bike or sports tourer for commuting and touring) which is now mentioned in the thread starter post as an EDIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venukrithish View Post
[...] I wouldn't really suggest to go with Suzuki. [...]
Could you please explain why you won't recommend Suzuki? Given many have recommended the Gixxer 250 SF and it was also one of my initial picks, your response will help me better decide a bike.
Old 14th November 2023, 19:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolp View Post

Could you please explain why you won't recommend Suzuki? Given many have recommended the Gixxer 250 SF and it was also one of my initial picks, your response will help me better decide a bike.
It's a dying brand as far as motorcycles are concerned. The sf and Gixxer especially haven't been updated in years. The inherent oil cooler design has a flaw where vibrations are observed post 6k kms of running. Im not sure if it's fixed in the v Strom 250 but there are threads abt this issue on team bhp. I'll stick to my suggestion and say avoid Suzuki. Bajaj or TVS is a better fit in the long run.
Old 14th November 2023, 20:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a dying brand as far as motorcycles are concerned. The sf and Gixxer especially haven't been updated in years. The inherent oil cooler design has a flaw where vibrations are observed post 6k kms of running. Im not sure if it's fixed in the v Strom 250 but there are threads abt this issue on team bhp. I'll stick to my suggestion and say avoid Suzuki. Bajaj or TVS is a better fit in the long run.
My son rides a September 2019 Suzuki Gixxer 250SF. Mainly college and now commuting, with a few 200+ km highway rides thrown in. His bike has 15k+ km on the clock, so well past that supposed 6k km mark.

The bike is a joy to ride. Butter smooth. Slick gearbox. Comfy and plush (brilliant seats and suspension setup, coming from a Gen 1 Duke 390 rider lol). And near zero vibes. And even then, just a barely audible buzz off and on much lower down in the rev range, in the first two gears, at traffic speeds (sub 40).

For a 250 cc mill, it has a truly impressive turn of highway speed too. And does not feel stressed reaching those numbers. And it is a joy to ride hard in the twisties too. Very important for any bike in my book. If anything, three weak points of the bike are vendor supplied parts. The chain sprocket kit. The indicator stalks. And the brake disc pads. This is my feedback and that of my son as the primary rider.

I completely forgot this gem in my earlier recommendation. And that too because of the brilliantly priced Triumph with 40 bhp that trumps the Gixxer's 26(?).

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 14th November 2023 at 21:01.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 20:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My son rides a September 2019 Suzuki Gixxer 250SF. Mainly college and now commuting, with a few 200+ km highway rides thrown in. His bike has 15k+ km on the clock, so well past that supposed 6k km mark. The bike is a joy to ride. Butter smooth. Slick gearbox. Comfy and plush. And near zero vibes. And even then, much lower down in the rev range.
Cheers, Doc
Of course it's a brilliant machine. I personally have test rode it twice and did see prominent vibes. I also felt too much weight at the front (just a personal preference, I like bikes that just tip into a corner effortlessly). My point is that it's outdated and for someone who's buying a brand new motorcycle, there are now much better options out there.

And here's the thread I was talking abt:
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/suzuki...ems-motorcycle

Last edited by venukrithish : 14th November 2023 at 20:46.
Old 14th November 2023, 20:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course it's a brilliant machine. I personally have test rode it twice and did see prominent vibes. I also a felt too much weight at the front (just a personal preference, I like bikes that just tip into a corner effortlessly). My point is that it's outdated and for someone who's buying a brand new motorcycle, there are now much better options out there.

And here's the thread I was talking abt:
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/suzuki...ems-motorcycle
I've gone through the entire thread of Neil and his travails.

In fact till I chanced upon it yesterday and read through all 6 pages, I did not even know there had been an official company recall. I've asked my son to cross check anyways.

I was sharing the personal feedback of our own bike.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 14th November 2023 at 20:47.
Old 14th November 2023, 20:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I've gone through the entire thread of Neil and his travails.

I was sharing the personal feedback of our own bike.

Cheers, Doc
I see, then I'd say your son is very lucky. I was seriously considering purchasing this motorcycle earlier this year and it just wasn't meant to be. I could definitely sense the lack of refinement at higher speeds.
Old 14th November 2023, 20:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see, then I'd say your son is very lucky. I was seriously considering purchasing this motorcycle earlier this year and it just wasn't meant to be. I could definitely sense the lack of refinement at higher speeds.
My son and I. Since I paid for it.

Interesting trivia. It's the most expensive bike I've bought in 30+ years of riding.

Also, refinement is a very subjective thing. Sometimes you will have Royal Enfield riders riding bikes that tear mirrors and rear tail lights and number plate assemblies loose, hop on to modern Jap bikes and quibble about a slight buzz felt in a certain gear at a certain rpm.

I'm certainly not saying that's the case with Neil or any other Gixxer SF rider. But have seen that personally in many other cases. Tolerating something as character or endemic to one brand. But expecting perfection and complete diametric opposite from another.

As a Bullet and a Gen 1 Duke rider, I think personally that refinement comes very low down in my list of must haves from a machine. If it does the basics right and plasters a smile across your face doing it.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 14th November 2023 at 21:01.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 20:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
My son and I. Since I paid for it.

Interesting trivia. It's the most expensive bike I've bought in 30+ years of riding.

Cheers, Doc
Glad to know your son isn't the only one who's having fun
Considering the current prices, I'm postive that trivia will need to be updated with your next purchase.
venukrithish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 22:16   #30

I don't know if its just me but I don't agree with the V-Strom 250 not being a looker comments in this thread.

I upgraded to a Black V-Strom SX from the Gixxer SF about 7 months ago, and have received multiple compliments for the bike from various people mostly strangers.

Apart from the looks the bike is a joy to ride, though I have only done just about 3k kms so far. I agree it's not as nimble to handle in city traffic same some of the other bikes listed here mainly because of the seat height for me.

Given your extended budget range my suggestions would be:
  • BMW G310R: ( This was my first choice, but I got a sweet deal on the V-Strom & went with my head over the heart at the moment, but No Regrets on this decision)
  • Triumph 400: (Just check about the after sales service situation)
  • Apache RTR 310: Going by the segment first features on this bike, its hard to not consider this in the price range.
Zeon12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks