Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2007, 12:22   #1
BHPian

Mods/replacement for Apache-150

Hi All,
I own a TVS apache 150 which is 5 months. I wanted to make some mods/replacements and would like fellow bhpians to give their opinion/suggestions for the same.

1) I would like replacement the existing headlamp with a more powerful one. I feel that the current headlamp does not have reach on the high beam though the low-beam is very good. Due to this, I dont feel confident enough to take bikes on long rides. I feel that even my older TVS victor had far far better reach and visibility with the high beam. So what ratings lamps should I replace the current one with? What other modifications are required to get this done? Also will it damage the reflector area?

2) last week somebody broke my sidebox lock. Now just a hole is remaining. Nothing else was stolen as I had not kept the toolbox there as I had got it late from the showroom. Because of this, I will need to replace both the main key unit and the side box key unit. Along with same, I was thinking of replacing the speedometer with the digital one from the RTR. Can this be done?

3) I am tall person(6 ft 1 in). When taking turns the handle bar touches my knee and I have to (most of the times) remove my leg from footrest and create some space to make the full turn. While reading the reviews on RTR, I read that the new handle bars(with adjustible clip-on) liberates good leg space which makes it confortable for long riders. Can I replace my current handle bar with the clip-on version. Will this need any additional changes on the front end?

Also, would appreciate if you can give the costs associated with these mods, if you are aware of the same.

Thanks
askids
Old 12th August 2007, 14:24   #2
BHPian

WHat type of bulb is in Apache? H4 or H3?
Old 12th August 2007, 14:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
WHat type of bulb is in Apache? H4 or H3?
I dont have this info off-hand. I will have to look in the manual which I dont have know. I will let you know tomorrow.

Thanks
askids
Old 13th August 2007, 11:11   #4
BHPian

I checked the manual. It says Halogen HS1 12V 35/35W.
Old 13th August 2007, 12:49   #5
BHPian

Found some info about your bulb type. I think its a variant of H4 and the HS1 pin, middle pin is thicker so we can't fit a H4 bulb. CHeck with your showroom if we can change it to a H4 pin (i think it should be possible).

If possible, then buy Philips +50 Halogen 60W bulb and trust me you will forget any lighting upgrades. I have this in my bull and have stopped using the Fog Lamps

HS1 bulb
HS1 is a new range halogen bulb with a PX 43t fitting. The only difference between the HS1 and an H4 halogen bulb, is that the middle pin at the base is 1-2mm thicker. Hence the notation PX 43t compared to P43t. The HS1 will become the standard bulb for all new 2 wheelers launched.

Lamp Type Voltage Wattage Lumens Base MRP
HS1 12 35/35 825/525 PX43t 79.50

Applications to date:
Bajaj : Boxer CT, Caliber, Caliber Chroma, Eliminator; Bajaj Pulsar 150 (KS),Pulsar 150 (DTS-i), Pulsar 180 (New), Wind 125, Hero Honda CD 100SS Splendor, Splendor Plus, Karizma, Passion, Passion Plus, CBZ, Ambition, CD Dawn Kinetic Velocity; LML Graptor,Freedom 125, Freedom (DLX); TVS Fiero F2

Last edited by madbullram : 13th August 2007 at 12:55.
Old 13th August 2007, 18:35   #6
BHPian

madbullram, wont this affect the reflector because more heat will be produced by the higher rating bulb? Also will it require a winding upgrade or battery upgrade. I think the current battery on apache-150 is rated at 12V 9Ah.
Old 14th August 2007, 09:21   #7
BHPian

Nope...60 is perfectly fine for your reflectors. Anything above 60 will affect it and the reflectors we get these days are damn good. for 60W a 5 ah battery is enough...how?

Amps = Watts/Volts
60 watts / 12V = 5 amps

So don't fret
Old 14th August 2007, 12:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

60W will fry his electricals. If i recall, apache is AC lighting, so 60W will overload lighting coils - and the effective output would only be close to a 35W. You either need rewinding, selective removal of bulbs, or an HID, or run the 60W bulb straight off the battery.

Bullet methinks comes with wiring which can support even 80W bulbs easily (remember navendu of BN posting something like that). never heard similar of apache.
Old 14th August 2007, 13:29   #9
BHPian

That's a good point but it will not overload and fry...it will just still give 35W lighting. Frying happens when more power is sent through the wires...if its A/C lighting then coil is going to give only 35W so should not be any problem.

I dont think TVS would have fed a wire that can't take 60W but better to check with the dealer as I dont know about it. If the DC wiring from the Battery to healight (once connected) can take 60W i dont see a problem.
Old 14th August 2007, 14:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

When i say fry, I really meant that the bulb will cause a greater voltage drop, and hence impact reliability over the long term. He wouldn't wanna find that out on a dark dusty night

how about 60W bulb + removal of pilot lamps and tacho/rear nr plate lighting? Works just fine for pulsars
Old 14th August 2007, 18:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
60W will fry his electricals. If i recall, apache is AC lighting, so 60W will overload lighting coils - and the effective output would only be close to a 35W. You either need rewinding, selective removal of bulbs, or an HID, or run the 60W bulb straight off the battery.

Bullet methinks comes with wiring which can support even 80W bulbs easily (remember navendu of BN posting something like that). never heard similar of apache.
Just wondering, are HID conversion kits available for bikes . I know that that they are available for cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks