Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2024, 15:02   #1

Starting problem with Motorcycles & Scooters

I have 1yr old KTM in good condition and good maintenance. Recently have started having this issue. When i go out and stop for a while and then try to start the bike, it does not start. This happens once a week. I can hear the battery is trying to crank and it is in good condition. There is no low battery indicator. But the engine is not igniting or perhaps no sparks in the cylinder. No combustion in the cylinder. I had even changed the spark plug too. I had shown this to the service center and they say there is no issue. I have to keep the bike for 1-2hrs and then it will start. Very strange behaviour for new bike.
Can anyone help me by watching this video and tell me what problem it may have. I tried searching other threads and they say low battery issue. But battery is in good condition. Some say its some sensor issues. I have now decided to sell this and buy a simple old style hero honda.

Last edited by sameerchavan : 1st January 2024 at 15:26. Reason: spelling correction and video link
sameerchavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Starting problem with Motorcycles & Scooters

- Air, fuel and spark look fine since it runs okay before and after.
- The engine hasn't overheated.

I have encountered random starting troubles traced down to a faulty relay but it doesn't add up in your case.

Suggestions :
- Have them check the error codes and see if anything comes up. Change the service centers if the current one isn't helpful.
- To rule out a faulty battery, use a 12V battery monitor to see what is the voltage you get when that happens.

Outside of these I am afraid I don't have anything else to suggest.
Hopefully someone better informed will.
Good Luck and do update on the progress.

Last edited by shancz : 1st January 2024 at 20:13. Reason: added battery monitor rec
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 20:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerchavan View Post
I tried searching other threads and they say low battery issue. But battery is in good condition.
Can you check the voltage while its cranking and when its idle? This sounds like a battery problem. If its an intermediate problem then the alternator might be faulty which is causing the battery to not get charged fully in between.
advstreak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 21:43   #4

Thanks you. I will ask the service center to check the battery. But i was imagining that if the battery is week, it will not even crank the engine. But here the battery is doing its job and the cranking sound is also fast and loud. Its just that the engine is not sparking the fuel and there is no combustion happening. So the engine is not getting ignited.
Old 2nd January 2024, 07:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

I've recently experienced a 390 Duke with random starting issues and even shut-off while riding.
Reason is a faulty side stand sensor, but in that case it actually starts in neutral but stalls the moment its put into gear. But since you're already in neutral that's less likely as no side stand warning is visible as well. But do get that checked too.

If KTM are sure of a sensor issue it might well be as the bike looks mechanically sound but a faulty sensor could be preventing the start.
For fuel injected bikes specifically I too look at the battery as the first option due to the complexity with the sensors which are best handled at the ASC.

In the non sensor world my experience says :
Battery fine + random starting issues -> Check relays -> Check Fuel system.

Last edited by shancz : 2nd January 2024 at 07:54. Reason: add chk cls
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 10:26   #6

Thanks for suggestion. I also experience all of sudden engine stopping while riding in city. It feels like engine stopped and started on its own. And this happens when accelerating from normal speed. May be this related to side stand sensor then. I will check with service center.
Old 12th January 2024, 17:31   #7
BANNED

Quote:
I have 1yr old KTM in good condition and good maintenance. Recently have started having this issue. When i go out and stop for a while and then try to start the bike, it does not start. This happens once a week. I can hear the battery is trying to crank and it is in good condition. There is no low battery indicator. But the engine is not igniting or perhaps no sparks in the cylinder. No combustion in the cylinder. I had even changed the spark plug too. I had shown this to the service center and they say there is no issue. I have to keep the bike for 1-2hrs and then it will start. Very strange behaviour for new bike.
Seen the same issue in a Duke because of a dying battery(1 cell was on deathbed).

Go to a knowledgeable battery store and check the battery condition.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:49   #8
BHPian

All the other comments have addressed possible causes. In case those are not the root cause, check the condition of the bike's stator coils. These also display similar symptoms when they are about to fail.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 10:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
But the engine is not igniting or perhaps no sparks in the cylinder. No combustion in the cylinder.
Missing the good old kicker eh?. I too feel that the battery has enough CCA left in it. Do you know how to check for spark?. Just remove the plug along with the ignition wires and place it on any part of the engine and start the bike. If everything is OK then there will be a continuous spark between the spark gap.

Please excise a lot of caution while doing this. The ignition coil wires give a nasty (3kV) shock if mishandled. if you have not done it then take it to a mech and observe how he does it.

If it sparks is OK then we can check the fuel injector.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Missing the good old kicker eh?. I too feel that the battery has enough CCA left in it. Do you know how to check for spark?. Just remove the plug along with the ignition wires and place it on any part of the engine and start the bike. If everything is OK then there will be a continuous spark between the spark gap.

Please excise a lot of caution while doing this. The ignition coil wires give a nasty (3kV) shock if mishandled. if you have not done it then take it to a mech and observe how he does it.

If it sparks is OK then we can check the fuel injector.
I have also replaced the spark plug. i had this thought immediately when I saw the battery was strong. Then who is preventing the spark plug from igniting the fuel in the combustion chamber? So tried changing the spark plug too. But I have not checked if the current to spark plug is consistent or its a loose wire. Thanks. I will check.
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:45   #11
BHPian

Have you checked the starter motor for any issues. I don’t know about your area, but in areas with a lot of rats those pesky things have a tendency to cut the wires. Also when your bike used to start normally, did it hit rev limiter before the normal rev limit ( lower cut off than usual) ? Replacing your ignition coil can at times fix this issue.
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:47   #12
BHPian

May try using injector cleaner (1% mixing with petrol) like this (can be bought from Amazon). No harm, but may do some good.
Starting problem with Motorcycles & Scooters-719bxao7thl._sx522_.jpg
Old 2nd February 2024, 14:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

When you insert the key and turn off the kill engine switch, do you hear a clear long sound of the fuel pump or is the sound too short or not consistent?

This can also be a fuel pump issue. Did KTM check the fuel pump and it's pressure?

With faulty side stand sensor, I don't think it would even crank.

Last edited by Gordon : 2nd February 2024 at 14:08.
Gordon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 14:57   #14
BHPian

Suzuki Avenis Starting issue

Hi All

I have a 2022 Suzuki Avenis, I've done about 16,200KM and my Last service (6th Paid) was done at 14800 KM at the end of November 2023.

I have been having an issue where my Avenis won't start unless I give it throttle and It won't stay idling. Even when I come to a stop, the scooter just dies. There are no Check engine lights or anything on it. It started as an Intermittent issue early January but ended up becoming worse towards the end of the month.

I'm wondering what to do because Suzuki ASS won't check on the issue unless I give it for a proper service and I am afraid to find an outside mechanic fearing it'll get worse. At the moment, my Avenis is the only vehicle I have and I need it for day to day commute. I am planning to give it for a full service this weekend, just wondering what I can expect.

Any idea what could be causing this issue or if any other Avenis owner has faced the same issue I'm facing?
Old 2nd February 2024, 15:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

It might be a faulty roll over sensor, thinking the bike has flipped so it wont let it start. Unplug the sensor and it should work. Its located under the ignition key switch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks