Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2024, 18:10   #1
BHPian

Brass chain set for my motorcycle

Hi all my stock chain + sprockets (DAIDO) on the vstrom sx 250 is coming to 'End Of Life' and I am on a lookout for a good replacement and am considering a brass chain set.

Currently I do not see Brass chain set for the vstrom sx 250 from the popular brands (RK, Rolon, DAIDO). Rolon has regular O ring set only as of now.

OEM specs:
Front Teeth : 13
Rear Teeth : 40
Chain : 520 pitch, 114 links, Rivet Master Link

I see that KTM ADV 390 comes with 520, 114 chain and has considerable options to buy in the market. But the sprockets are (15T, 45T).

Questions:
1. Anyone aware of a complete set of Brass sprocket and chain set for Vstrom SX 250.
2. Can I get away by using the sprocket set from Adv 390? Is it compatible? Has anyone tried?
3. Potential issues from using out of spec sprocket teeth count?
4. Rivet vs Clip Master Link
kaizengadi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 23:04   #2
BHPian

re: Brass chain set for my motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizengadi View Post
Hi all my stock chain + sprockets (DAIDO) on the vstrom sx 250 is coming to 'End Of Life' and I am on a lookout for a good replacement and am considering a brass chain set.

Currently I do not see Brass chain set for the vstrom sx 250 from the popular brands (RK, Rolon, DAIDO). Rolon has regular O ring set only as of now.

OEM specs:

I see that KTM ADV 390 comes with 520, 114 chain and has considerable options to buy in the market. But the sprockets are (15T, 45T).

Questions:
1. Anyone aware of a complete set of Brass sprocket and chain set for Vstrom SX 250.
2. Can I get away by using the sprocket set from Adv 390? Is it compatible? Has anyone tried?
Why not use the Gixxer 250/SF options from Rolon. From what I know, the sprockets are identical in size to Strom. KTM sprockets are most probably not going to fit.

https://lrlmotors.com/products/rolon...250-gixxer-250
Old 25th February 2024, 11:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Why not use the Gixxer 250/SF options from Rolon. From what I know, the sprockets are identical in size to Strom. KTM sprockets are most probably not going to fit.
I initially thought this option as well but it appears the Gixxer uses a shorter 110 links chain with 15T, 39T combination. I guess another option would be to use just the 114 link brass chain (520 pitch) available for KTM and OEM sprockets if KTM sprockets are not compatible.
Old 25th February 2024, 11:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I initially thought this option as well but it appears the Gixxer uses a shorter 110 links chain with 15T, 39T combination.
13/40T, 108 links.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 12:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
13/40T, 108 links.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks for the correction, I assumed the numbers from the Rolon Brass chain kit for the gixxer 250 were congruent with the OEM specs.

https://www.rolonpremium.co.in/produ..._KIT_HPORC_388
Old 25th February 2024, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OEM specs:
Rolon doesn't have brass chain yet for Suzuki V-strom SX 250. When I had enquired with them in December, they hadn't started working on set for V-strom SX 250. Now, at least they have a regular chain, sprocket kit. One friend from local V-strom group has installed it on his V-strom SX250 and he is quite happy with smooth transmission delivery.
It will take some more time for Rolon to come up with Brass chain for V-strom SX250 provided they see a demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Why not use the Gixxer 250/SF options from Rolon.
Yes & no. It's not a direct fit as wheelbase is longer on V-strom SX250. If one manages to procure extra 6 links, then it's feasible. Not sure if Rolon sells only links.

Quote:
I initially thought this option as well but it appears the Gixxer uses a shorter 110 links chain with 15T, 39T combination.
Gixxer uses 108 links, V-strom SX 250 uses 114 links.

Quote:
I guess another option would be to use just the 114 link brass chain (520 pitch) available for KTM and OEM sprockets if KTM sprockets are not compatible.
This is another alternative, however that means procuring 2 separate sprocket, chain kits. Hope you have a known garage which has customers for both of these combinations.

As of now, I see couple of choices.

1. Go ahead with current Rolon kit and switch to Brass kit when it's available.
2. Try out expensive DID kit albeit at higher cost. In terms of price and compatibility, this is an overkill in my opinion. Price is at par with international $120 price, no additional import duties.
sukiwa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 13:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Now, at least they have a regular chain, sprocket kit. One friend from local V-strom group has installed it on his V-strom SX250 and he is quite happy with smooth transmission delivery.
It will take some more time for Rolon to come up with Brass chain for V-strom SX250 provided they see a demand.
Thanks sukiwa for the suggestions,

I contacted Rolon as well, they mentioned it will take a month to release the brass version but not definite.

DAIDO X ring chain is out of my budget, Will try to source the OEM sprocket and RK chain separately or else will squeeze another 1k km and will hope they release the brass edition. Only concern with Rolon are the clip type master links opposed to the rivets on the DAIDO O ring normal chains (OEM).
Old 26th February 2024, 21:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OEM specs:

Questions:
The stock comes is a DID or DAIDO made one which itself is a good quality chain. Remember, a rivet chain is much more robust and basically a redundancy incorporated. Master link types are equally strong and offer the added advantage easy serviceability i.e. easy to remove a chain and install a chain and it's pretty much an 10 minute job. I personally love master link chains, it makes life 10x easier.

Rolon Brass is what a buddy of mine is currently using on his Strom and he's happy. It's just brass coated and not 100% a brass chain, with that caveat out of the way. Brass coating basically reduces friction between each plates and hence offers smoother and silent operation. RK is another excellent candidate, where most KTMs folks opt for it, price for value it's an excellent chain, Made in Japan.

The ADV's sprocket won't fit the V Strom, as the Strom uses a NUT to secure as opposed to two 8 mm bolts with a locking plate on the KTM series. Even still, the output shaft milling perhaps might vary. Even if the milling is the same, the 14/46 would make the V Strom unrideable in highways.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 08:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The stock comes is a DID or DAIDO made one which itself is a good quality chain. Remember, a rivet chain is much more robust and basically a redundancy incorporated. Master link types are equally strong and offer the added advantage easy serviceability i.e. easy to remove a chain and install a chain and it's pretty much an 10 minute job. I personally love master link chains, it makes life 10x easier.

Rolon Brass is what a buddy of mine is currently using on his Strom and he's happy. It's just brass coated and not 100% a brass chain, with that caveat out of the way. Brass coating basically reduces friction between each plates and hence offers smoother and silent operation. RK is another excellent candidate, where most KTMs folks opt for it, price for value it's an excellent chain, Made in Japan.

The ADV's sprocket won't fit the V Strom, as the Strom uses a NUT to secure as opposed to two 8 mm bolts with a locking plate on the KTM series. Even still, the output shaft milling perhaps might vary. Even if the milling is the same, the 14/46 would make the V Strom unrideable in highways.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Is there an RK model that's a fit for the Speed 400?
Old 28th February 2024, 10:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
It's just brass coated and not 100% a brass chain, with that caveat out of the way. Brass coating basically reduces friction between each plates and hence offers smoother and silent operation. RK is another excellent candidate, where most KTMs folks opt for it, price for value it's an excellent chain, Made in Japan.
VJ
Thanks Vijay,
I was not aware that Rolon is just coating!
Given that OEM set is ~3.5k INR, Rolon still appears to be a better choice will try it out once brass set is released.
Lack of accessories for Vstrom is little disappointing
Old 28th February 2024, 11:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi, what accessories do you need for the VSTROM 250?
Quote:
Lack of accessories for Vstrom is little disappointing
Old 28th February 2024, 11:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi, what accessories do you need for the VSTROM 250?
Hi,
1. I was not able to find polycarbonate touring windshield natively designed for the strom. There is the BMW GS 310 (3k) with adapter (700) but it is too costly.

2. Exhaust set Full system or slipon. Currently I believe only Roar exhaust is available but no other popular options to choose from. (eg: Red rooster, powerRage)

3. Chain set

4. Wraps/Skins

5. Center Stand

For Himalayan you can find above products from atleast 3-4 companies and at competitive prices.

I understand these addons are applicable to a small percentage of riders. Given that the percentage of vstrom riders itself is small there is no push for production of these items.

Last edited by kaizengadi : 28th February 2024 at 11:59.
Old 28th February 2024, 13:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

1. I could not find a polycarbonate touring windshield natively designed for the storm. There is the BMW GS 310 (3k) with an adapter (700), but it is too costly. - Check MOTOTORQUE and there is another chennai based company I forget the name (Must be MOTOTRIBE). Google will show that.

2. Exhaust set Full system or slip-on. Currently, I believe only Roar exhaust is available, but there are no other popular options. (eg: Red rooster, PowerRage) - Yes, Roar is available, but yesterday, I saw one more modded bike with enhanced travel suspension and a new exhaust option on YouTube

3. Chain set - Apart from what the dealer provided, Rolon should be available now

4. Wraps/Skins - No idea. But there are numerous shops that personalize wraps. My friend got it done cheaply in Bengaluru itself

5. Center Stand - Available (MOTOTRIBE)

Last edited by navin : 28th February 2024 at 15:26. Reason: typos
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 13:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. polycarbonate touring windshield
Check Inscape dreamz

Quote:
5. Center Stand
MotoTribe, from Belagavi(Belgaum)

I have been using both of these for quite some time; will be posting about these soon in my ownership thread.

Quote:
2. Exhaust set Full system or slipon. Currently I believe only Roar exhaust is available but no other popular options to choose from. (eg: Red rooster, powerRage)
I won't go towards modifying exhaust, so no idea.

Quote:
3. Chain set
After-market: Rolon; stock: DID

Quote:
4. Wraps/Skins
Prefer local who understands, agrees to your taste and doesn't impose their own.

Quote:
For Himalayan you can find above products from at least 3-4 companies and at competitive prices.
Sales volume is vastly different, so no point comparing with after-market parts/accessories for Himalayan.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 15:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

I struggled for accessories for CB 350 and VSTROM back then. But the RE family, especially the Himalayan 450, am spoilt for choices

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks