Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2007, 16:38   #1
BHPian

exhaust sounds.

owing to my lack of knowledge about the mechanics involved in motorbikes, i am redirecting this question to all of you.
yesterday, me and a friend were having a chat with this performance parts dealer in karol bagh and he says he will be receivng exhausts for karizma in a couple of weeks which will make it sound very close to superbike. obviously, we nodded and left the store. but this thought has been eating me since. the noise produced by any exhaust just doesnt consist of the can alone. the engine's timing and adjustment must play a vital role in producing that melody.

all of your feedback welcome.
Old 14th October 2007, 17:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Getting the exact sound of a superbike is very very difficult, it might be near and little close to one but never exact or very close because SBKs are atleast 2 cylinders to 4 cylinders. The ZMA is a single cylinder bike, and the ZMA has quite a lot of engine knocking it it.

When you say SBK, you need to refer to which one, there are so many and they make so many different kind of noises.
Old 14th October 2007, 17:37   #3
BHPian

Well, the exhaust note does depend on what is in the exhaust. That's why an RD HT pipes sound better than that of an LT (due to the glass wool in the muffler), but then that's because the engine is more keen to revv and is powerful.

My friend has an RD that sounds like an inline-4 (Maverick5490 will second me on this) because of expansion chambers. But then his specs are so good that the exhaust gaskets gave way.
So, as BUSA said the engine does matter as well, to quite an extent apart from the exhaust.

Don't fall for what the dealer is saying until you actually hear the exhaust on another bike. Bright chances are it only make your bike sound irritatingly louder...

And if the exhaust sounds really good...lemme know as well...LoL.
Old 14th October 2007, 20:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

I generally dont like the sound our indian bikes make when fitted with a freeflow....... they just sound irritating most of the time.....the sound of a single cylinder indian bike with a K&N bolted on to the carb is much better.......

And I dont think its possible to make a single cylinder sound like a 3 or four cylinder superbike engine just by changing the exhaust.......but then, i could be wrong....
Old 15th October 2007, 15:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero View Post
And I dont think its possible to make a single cylinder sound like a 3 or four cylinder superbike engine just by changing the exhaust.......but then, i could be wrong....
Bright chances are U can't...So you're right....
Old 15th October 2007, 21:53   #6
BHPian

the sound i was referring to was the sweet humming of any sbk engine.
the sounds that the zma makes is quite pathetic and if i bolt on any aftermarket exhaust, it just becomes unbearably loud.

i dont think the dealer can back up his claims, but the doubt in everybody's minds here has inspired me to visit that dealer one more time.
but i highly doubt it is possible.

there is an old cbr '98 in my colony and the sound it makes it just pure melody to the ears. very discrete. mellow. sweet. i might be getting a bit carried away with this, but does anyone here think that this could be done.

FORGET all the performance mods, wider rubber, iridium plugs and air filters. if i can just get that sound from my zma, it would be worth every penny.

OT: please dont recommend me to go buy any sbk. if i had the budget i wouldnt have waited for your recommendations....
Old 15th October 2007, 23:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

iridium plugs are never termed performance mod!!
Old 15th October 2007, 23:19   #8
BHPian

OT: "performance mods, wider rubber, iridium plugs and air filters....." - all seperate entities here...
Old 15th October 2007, 23:41   #9
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Amit try and check out Auto zone (udit) in moti nagar he has exhausts for bikes apart from other accessories. Yoshimura et all.
Old 16th October 2007, 01:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
iridium plugs are never termed performance mod!!
Hi-end plugs plugs are a performance mod but after a particular stage, very hi performance engines actually will benefit but not stock or mildly modded ones.
Old 16th October 2007, 10:23   #11

Hi Amit,
The air filter from K&N will surely be a gud choise cause there is a gud sound difference cause i have one fitted in my pulsar it really works and the plugs are jus to give u a better pick and better burning of the fuel it is no way connected to the sound. U can try fitting Arrow silencers they really sound great and the one with twin exit chambers sounds awesome by its a little expensive.
Old 16th October 2007, 12:04   #12
BANNED

Amit sir dont spoil your kari with these mods just for getting more sound or sound alike SBK.
Trust me untill n unless ull have twin or more cylenders u wont get that SBK sound and these single cylender bike will do useless f@r+$ if you put free flow.Ill bet you Kari feels better in stock pipes.
Or earn some more molah and get a real SBK no need to do all these circus.
What do you think about a decent RD's sound at powerband .
Old 16th October 2007, 12:46   #13
BANNED

Amit, you want your single cylinder to sound like multicylindered bikes just my changing the exhaust?? Think again when a dealer says that to you. Forget the silencer dont even buy rear view mirrors from him.
Old 16th October 2007, 13:13   #14
BHPian

Hi amitverma,

your'e right!! a single cylinder bike be it zma or whateva cannot sound like a superbike. The reason why the superbike sounds the way it is, is because of it being multicylinder, that is the reason why a very good tuned RD 350 with the stock exhaust would also sound like a SBK.

No mech, can give u the sound of a SBK on a single cylinder bike no matter what he does with it.

Cheers
Shrey
Old 16th October 2007, 13:14   #15
BHPian

Hi amit,

A single cylinder bike be it zma or whateva cannot sound like a superbike. The reason why the superbike sounds the way it is, is because of it being multicylinder, that is the reason why a very good tuned RD 350 with the stock exhaust would also sound like a SBK.

No mech, can give u the sound of a SBK on a single cylinder bike no matter what he does with it.

Cheers
Shrey

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks