Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 19:54   #1
BHPian

Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78

Dad owned one of these when I was a teen and she was clearly an idea way before her time. For one she was a 100cc machine when none had fathomed such miniscule engines could be pushed to efficiency levels adequate to power a motorcycle, or for that matter were even necessary (if I remember right, the stuff they took intravenously only cost Rs 5 a litre at the time): the contenders at the time plodded along with what could almost qualify as agricultural power plants in comparison- the Rajdoot was a 175 (dad's next bike), the famed Bullet, and of course the Jawa/Yezdis. She sported a 5-speed gear box which was one helluva thing if you imagine the 3 of the Rajdoot, and would whistle and scream at revs delivering sound bytes that were literally unheard before.

Any idea what they revved to?

To put it all in perspective, however, she fell victim to poor engineering (read: manufacture) and was constantly plagued by all sorts of problems from faulty electrics to a poor 'box; also came from the factory with a twist in the frame. Dad's boys stripped and modded her with a squint for a headlight, paint job via Flit pump and what not, and we did have some fun on her- slipping gears notwithstanding- before dad was whacked by a truck while trying to dehydrate the carb in torrential rain at the side of some Godforsaken highway (he and what was left of the Saund were carted home by truck and she was sold as scrap).

End of story? Nope. It took the Japs to revisit and take this '100cc' neck-of-the-woods many years on, and boy did they do it with finesse. Sure, the chaps at Saund wrote their own epitaph, not even requiring Samurai competitors to wipe them off the 2x motobiz paradigm...but they and their 'Zweirad' knowhow were the start of something big.

Any memories out there? Any pics of these bikes? We've none I know for sure.
Old 17th April 2009, 20:40   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Dad owned one of these when I was a teen and she was clearly an idea way before her time. For one she was a 100cc machine when none had fathomed such miniscule engines could be pushed to efficiency levels adequate to power a motorcycle, or for that matter were even necessary (if I remember right, the stuff they took intravenously only cost Rs 5 a litre at the time): the contenders at the time plodded along with what could almost qualify as agricultural power plants in comparison- the Rajdoot was a 175 (dad's next bike), the famed Bullet, and of course the Jawa/Yezdis. She sported a 5-speed gear box which was one helluva thing if you imagine the 3 of the Rajdoot, and would whistle and scream at revs delivering sound bytes that were literally unheard before.

Any idea what they revved to?

To put it all in perspective, however, she fell victim to poor engineering (read: manufacture) and was constantly plagued by all sorts of problems from faulty electrics to a poor 'box; also came from the factory with a twist in the frame. Dad's boys stripped and modded her with a squint for a headlight, paint job via Flit pump and what not, and we did have some fun on her- slipping gears notwithstanding- before dad was whacked by a truck while trying to dehydrate the carb in torrential rain at the side of some Godforsaken highway (he and what was left of the Saund were carted home by truck and she was sold as scrap).

End of story? Nope. It took the Japs to revisit and take this '100cc' neck-of-the-woods many years on, and boy did they do it with finesse. Sure, the chaps at Saund wrote their own epitaph, not even requiring Samurai competitors to wipe them off the 2x motobiz paradigm...but they and their 'Zweirad' knowhow were the start of something big.

Any memories out there? Any pics of these bikes? We've none I know for sure.
Yes, netchef, just today I picked one from Chennai & I was told that it was a 50cc machine
The bike has an " Victoria Type V2 " Powertrain
Tommorow I'll post some pics of the bike.
The chassis badge says it is 1981.......as year of manufacter
Manufactered by " Union Industries" Gwalior.
it is a 3 speed one !!!
cheers!!!
Old 21st April 2009, 19:12   #3
BHPian

My Saund Zweirad ( EXPORT 50cc) bike

My recent addition to my Garage..........Saund-Zweird 's 50cc bike.
Though, bike is not in good shape, no idea ,how the stock bike looks(?)
its clear the front & rear mudgaurds are from a TVS 50 moped.
The 50cc integrated power plant of " Victoria" screams to its best,it has a 3 speed gbox!!
* This bike was manufacterd by " Union Industries", Gwalior
Can any one from this part of the country, throw some details of this bike.
find the pics of my S-Z
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78-07.jpg  

Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78-04.jpg  

Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78-01.jpg  

Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78-05.jpg  

Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78-02.jpg  

Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78-06.jpg  

powertwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Yes, netchef, just today I picked one from Chennai & I was told that it was a 50cc machine
The bike has an " Victoria Type V2 " Powertrain
Tommorow I'll post some pics of the bike.
The chassis badge says it is 1981.......as year of manufacter
Manufactered by " Union Industries" Gwalior.
it is a 3 speed one !!!
cheers!!!
powertwin: Sir, that's not a Saund but a Vicky II (or Vicky something). It was launched in 1978 0r 1979- I can't remember exactly, and came with the same if slightly uprated engine from the Vicky (the step-thru scooterette/moped which had 3 had operated gears and access to the carb thru the centre of the pressed steel chassis).

Also, I think it was 65 cc- NOT too sure.

We had a Vicky that I used to ride and tune. Nice machine. I remember doing 70 Kmph on her two-up in torrential rain.

Quote:
The 50cc integrated power plant of " Victoria" screams to its best,it has a 3 speed gbox!!
find the pics of my S-Z
powertwin: sorry I took so long to respond to your PM/this thread- I had no clue what you were talking about (failing memory ) and even if I did remember the Saund story, would have had little hope of finding the thread!
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

I remember vicky in early 80s which generated much of fanfare.
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
find the pics of my S-Z
This is a Vicky 2 with the old 50cc engine and 3 speed gearbox. It gives phenomenal milage. interesting vehicle
Old 23rd April 2009, 19:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
This is a Vicky 2 with the old 50cc engine and 3 speed gearbox. It gives phenomenal milage. interesting vehicle
Suresh bro, let it be " Vicky 2", just see the gussete plate & foot rest rubbers of the below posted bike ( mine )
Any details regarding this...??? or any pics of VICKY 2 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78-04.jpg  

Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78-01.jpg  

Old 29th October 2011, 11:36   #8
BHPian

My dad used to have a saund 100, super performance but bad metallurgy. Parts would wear out real quick.
The bike was made by the same people that made the vicky moped
Old 1st January 2024, 00:31   #9
BHPian

Re: Anyone owned/rode a Saund (Zweirad) circa '78

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
My dad used to have a saund 100, super performance but bad metallurgy. Parts would wear out real quick.
The bike was made by the same people that made the vicky moped
Hey! Any pictures of your Father's bike that you might have? I am about to restore one and any pics would be of great help! Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks