Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvvkumar View Post
So, you are talking about the reverse EMF creating a self induction right?
actually it's the other way round. and this will be applicable to a motor (which is same as a generator, in DC world). we are discusing a generator.

terms don't matter as long as you got the concept right.
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
in most auto-choke scooters the automatic choke solenoid is activated by the battery when the ignition is turned on and not by the starter button. so its unlikely to have any effect on fuel consumption. the blaze does not have this system, its got a manual choke.
Im not very sure about this. i have seen it in Kinetic old models. They have the choke activation dne only when you turned on the ignition and you pressed any of the brake engaged.
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Im not very sure about this. i have seen it in Kinetic old models. They have the choke activation dne only when you turned on the ignition and you pressed any of the brake engaged.
The only kinetic I drove once would not start unless front brake was applied.
Old 3rd January 2008, 22:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
choke is activated once the ignition is switched on and it deactivated after about 10 seconds automatically by an inbuilt timer device. brake engaging turns on the electric starting circuit and its not connected to the choke. all kinetic hondas pre 1999 are with auto choke and its from the y2k series that a manual choke was provided below the left handle bar grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
The only kinetic I drove once would not start unless front brake was applied.
like i have said above, the brake circuit is a safety system to minimize the chances of the bike leaping forward upon self starting since there is no neutral gear, being a variomatic. when kick starting the vehicle the brake need not be applied.
Old 4th January 2008, 15:50   #20
BHPian

Thanks guys! Sorry for having got the terms mixed up (it has been a while since i used them out side the class room).
Old 4th January 2008, 23:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

The kinetic never had the system where you had to apply the front brake. Its always been the rear brake, even with the activa. All the Suzuki bikes have the same system where you have to pull in the clutch lever.
Old 6th January 2008, 01:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
The kinetic never had the system where you had to apply the front brake. Its always been the rear brake, even with the activa. All the Suzuki bikes have the same system where you have to pull in the clutch lever.

WRONG my dear straight6. front or rear makes no diff to starting. what are you referring to? on varios, either brake is sufficient to operate the starting circuit be it a honda, suzuki, tvs, kinetic etc etc.
Old 6th January 2008, 01:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

I still have a kinetic('94)and it only starts with the rear brake being applied not the front, and I can remember another one that belonged to an uncle of mine with the same system. And my cousins activa('05) will also start only with the rear brake being applied not the front. I have no idea when they have changed this.
Old 6th January 2008, 18:46   #24
BHPian

On the blaze, either of the brakes is ok. You have to have any one brake applied when you start the vehicle.
Old 7th January 2008, 00:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I still have a kinetic('94)and it only starts with the rear brake being applied not the front, and I can remember another one that belonged to an uncle of mine with the same system. And my cousins activa('05) will also start only with the rear brake being applied not the front. I have no idea when they have changed this.
there has been no change in the system since 1985 since the launch of the kinetic. on the kinetic or activa or access or scooty or pleasure or kristal or wave or dio, either brake can be used to engage the starting circuit for the starter motor, unless the front brake light switch has failed in the cases that you have mentioned. check with any decent kinetic mechanic and he will confirm the same.
Old 12th January 2008, 20:38   #26
BHPian

I have one more question.

Suppose if i increase the winding of the magneto, would it have an effect on other components like the speedo/indicator/tail light bulbs and the battery? If so, what are the precautions that need to be taken?

Thanks in advance for taking the effort to answer!

Kumar.
Old 13th January 2008, 02:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
The battery is charged by an alternator driven by the engine. It has negligible effect on the observed FE.
A kick start bike will have a lesser ampere battery, hence a less powerful alternator, hence lesser fuel consumption, in theory, however in practice, they might use the same alternator, and the difference if any would be marginal,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks