Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:53   #1
BHPian

Does Unicorn have an inherent problem of stability?

Hi guys,

I've been using the latest model of UNI since October. My Uni seems to be fine in every aspect except for the stability. This is more noticeable when there is a pillion. The bikes feels like it jerks sideways when going on a rough or potholed roads.

Also, when ladies sit one side, I feel the bike isn't stable when I'm riding. I'm not able to explain this problem to the service center guys as they don't understand the issue and don't look like professionals who know the in and out biking and associated issues.

Can someone please help me understand this problem and suggest some good and knowledgeable mechanics in Hyderabad to whom I can show my bike.

Thanks!

P.S. If this is not the right forum to post this thread, please move it to the appropriate forum.
Old 23rd April 2008, 20:20   #2
BHPian

I did not understand the jerking sideways part. How is the bike on a straight line above 70kph?

You could check if the alloys and see if they are defective.
Get the swing arm checked.
Maybe the handle bar's clamps too need to be checked too.
Lastly, maintain correct tyre pressure.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi, i have a 05 unicorn..No problems though..but the first time i took it on highway at 500 kms after first service..the bike skidded while changing lanes in the wet. Changed tyres from OE to 90/100 at rear and problem solved..
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:31   #4
BHPian

What about going in smooth roads?? Are you experiencing same effect when you ride along rough roads?

If there is Jerks and side pulling on booth rough & smooth roads, check Cone - Ball set & Forks.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

I have not ridden an Unicorn but
1. air pressure -- too much or too little will cause stability issues.
2. improperly fitted tire. there will be a line in the tire running parallel to the rim. Is it at the same distance throughout.
3. stupid pillions. I once had a friend who would lean in the opposite direction of a turn.
4. women sitting sideways- no comments.
5. bad riding posture. try to stand straight, hands lifted up and then sit on the bike, bring hands down to the handlebar. This way you will sit right in the center line.
6. twisted handlebar. bring handlebar all the way to the right. check distance between end of the handle to the tank. Repeat in opposite direction. distance must be equal -+5%.
7. on a slope let go of the handle and check body pull. --careful.
Old 23rd April 2008, 23:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have not ridden an Unicorn but
1. air pressure -- too much or too little will cause stability issues.
2. improperly fitted tire. there will be a line in the tire running parallel to the rim. Is it at the same distance throughout.
3. stupid pillions. I once had a friend who would lean in the opposite direction of a turn.
4. women sitting sideways- no comments.
5. bad riding posture. try to stand straight, hands lifted up and then sit on the bike, bring hands down to the handlebar. This way you will sit right in the center line.
6. twisted handlebar. bring handlebar all the way to the right. check distance between end of the handle to the tank. Repeat in opposite direction. distance must be equal -+5%.
7. on a slope let go of the handle and check body pull. --careful.

i completely agree with all the things bblost has said, and as far as i can think if you ride regularly on rough roads and if your bike has seen a lot of pot holes then i suggest you check out the suspension.
I say this because i am on the heavier side and do ride on the rough regularly and my suspension has given way already, i ride a 07 apr unicorn and it does not feel all that stable now after all that punishment.

well if your bike's tyre are up for a change then this time put in 100/90 profile and see if you still face this problem. check out my gallery for the pics of my unicorn i have a 120/80 profile rear tyre.

also some times when using the rear brake you can make out if there are any bends in the tyre or chassis or the rear swing arm etc,

lastly i would say the best way would be to get hold of the works manager at a service center ask him to provide you with the senior mechanic at the service center and make this mechanic your pillion rider and may be you can explain him the problem exactly.

well i would suggest, you first try out the pratul honda guys then the fortune honda guys then autofin and then the aadi guys,

well this is the order in which they have made name based on their service they have provided all these years , i mean at least by and large based on people's experience and mine that i have come across i say this, rest is your wish, if you have some one you know in one of these service centers then nothing like they will take proper care of the bike.

all the best buddy.
Old 24th April 2008, 00:23   #7
BHPian

Also check out the front fork. If one of the oil seals are out, and if the compression is slightly different, this unstability may come up.
Old 24th April 2008, 11:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Also check out the front fork. If one of the oil seals are out, and if the compression is slightly different, this unstability may come up.

to add to that, i already have the experience, i have a shorter handle on my bike and due to occasional hard braking i have already changed the shocks twice too, they cost like 300 bucks which includes the springs and the oil from the honda after sales service.

i want the mods to change the title please, unicorn is one of the most stable bikes in the country and the title is just not right, IMHO, please change it to 'my unicorn's stability problem' unicorn does not have any inherent stability problems at all. Thank You in advance moderators.

all the best once again.

Last edited by rider60 : 24th April 2008 at 11:25.
Old 24th April 2008, 12:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
to add to that, i already have the experience, i have a shorter handle on my bike and due to occasional hard braking i have already changed the shocks twice too, they cost like 300 bucks which includes the springs and the oil from the honda after sales service.

i want the mods to change the title please, unicorn is one of the most stable bikes in the country and the title is just not right, IMHO, please change it to 'my unicorn's stability problem' unicorn does not have any inherent stability problems at all. Thank You in advance moderators.

all the best once again.

I've had a Unicorn too since 3 years and have done some pretty decent highway hi speed 100+ non stop riding..both single as well as with a pillion. It is one of the smoothest bikes around and does not feel stressed or unstable especially after i changed my tyres.
Old 24th April 2008, 12:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
hi, i have a 05 unicorn..No problems though..but the first time i took it on highway at 500 kms after first service..the bike skidded while changing lanes in the wet. Changed tyres from OE to 90/100 at rear and problem solved..
i think u meant 100/90 right ??
Old 24th April 2008, 12:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
If you need to replace an oil seal, then replace for both the shocks.
Same with rear shocks, always replace the pair.

The rear shock absorber has a lenght adjustment setting.
Check if its the same on both the sides.
Old 24th April 2008, 13:38   #12
BHPian

with pillion/ladies on back no bike is stable .As it depends on the seating of the pillion (how they sit ,their weight etc) and the bike will not be as stable as compared to riding single.this problem is much more worse in scooters as the front becomes so light.
Old 24th April 2008, 16:44   #13
BHPian

Hi Guys, Thanks a lot for your response and valuable suggestions!

hyper123 - The bike is stable above 70kph even when driving with pillion. However, occasionally i feel the handle stiffens when the vehicle is running and the bike tends to sway and then the feeling goes away. But this is a very rare occurrence, say 2-3 times out of 10

bblost - Thanks a lot for your point by point suggestions. I will certainly try out in the order u have mentioned and see if there is any improvement.

However, i didn't understand your statement "The rear shock absorber has a lenght adjustment setting. Check if its the same on both the sides." Uni has just mono shock so which both sides are you referring to?

rider60 - I usually get my bike serviced at autofin. Guess I will try Pratul next time coz I'm not really happy with autofin's service. Thanks for making me aware of where to go for service.

Sorry for the title though. I love the bike as everything else about it is perfect. I can live with this imperfection infact but thought I can make my bike perfect in all aspects.
Old 24th April 2008, 17:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
However, i didn't understand your statement "The rear shock absorber has a lenght adjustment setting. Check if its the same on both the sides." Uni has just mono shock so which both sides are you referring to?

Sorry for the title though. I love the bike as everything else about it is perfect. I can live with this imperfection infact but thought I can make my bike perfect in all aspects.
Even the Monoshock has a stiffness adjustment in the shock absorber, maybe bblost was lost here. Its not the length but the stiffness of the ride.

Its a wonderful bike and has one of the best gearboxes..
Old 24th April 2008, 18:33   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post

woops, me bad.

I forgot that.
reminder to self: there are bikes and then there are more bikes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks