Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 13:14   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi guys,

I've been using the latest model of UNI since October. My Uni seems to be fine in every aspect except for the stability. This is more noticeable when there is a pillion. The bikes feels like it jerks sideways when going on a rough or potholed roads.

Also, when ladies sit one side, I feel the bike isn't stable when I'm riding. I'm not able to explain this problem to the service center guys as they don't understand the issue and don't look like professionals who know the in and out biking and associated issues.

Can someone please help me understand this problem and suggest some good and knowledgeable mechanics in Hyderabad to whom I can show my bike.

Thanks!

P.S. If this is not the right forum to post this thread, please move it to the appropriate forum.
Hi,

I own a sept 2006 unicorn with self start, been done 26,000 km since.
I experience the same problem from about 10,000 km. I have stopped going over long distance on account of this terrible stability problem.

The exact problem is when the bike meets any uneven or inclined surface it automatically tilts on its own to make itself perpendicular to the new surface. This strange problem occurs even if run over the thick median paint on the road. It is still there like daylight and I have failed misserably in convincing the honda service people who never acepts it.

I have done everything from checking every possible tyre pressure to replace front shock oil seal etc to a cone-set overhaul. Nothing had changed even then.

It is like riding a car with four wheel independent shock. I even posted this at rd-dreams forum. People suggested the front fork stem might be twisted towards right due to hard braking.

Sometimes the steering gets locked when passed over a pothole, this gets very scary if at a higher speed. I soon pull to stop and pump the front shock with front brake locked tight or find a better pothole to unlock it.

It is impossible to ride on a bumpy surface so I dare not take it off tarmac.

The rear shock is the worst from honda. it last for just 10k km after its a dead one.
The condition of the tyre is like new one since I keep optimum pressure and is checked twice a week.

My bike had never fallen or crashed either.

Only thing peculiar is, I ride fast, brake late and hard..

Any help please..

thanks
Old 13th May 2009, 14:09   #17
BHPian

I own Unicorn for three year and completed 42k KMS. This was second Version of Unicorn. It was having smaller rear Tyre compared to New Unicorn.
I was also facing the same problem. I tried to explain this to Service Guy but he was unable to solve this problem.

But when I showed my bike to local garage. He adjusted my rear wheel. I do not know exact part name, some say it is dog clip. It is at end of swing arms on both sides. It has marking for reference. Just do this and see if it helps.

Before this fix, my bike sometimes was starting to wobble in the middle of road after I go over pothole. At uneven surfaces or edges it was pulling it to some side.

But after this fix everything is changed. Then I changed my tires to New Unicorn tires. Now bike is perfectly stable.
Old 13th May 2009, 14:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I own Unicorn for three year and completed 42k KMS. This was second Version of Unicorn. It was having smaller rear Tyre compared to New Unicorn.
I was also facing the same problem. I tried to explain this to Service Guy but he was unable to solve this problem.

But when I showed my bike to local garage. He adjusted my rear wheel. I do not know exact part name, some say it is dog clip. It is at end of swing arms on both sides. It has marking for reference. Just do this and see if it helps.

Before this fix, my bike sometimes was starting to wobble in the middle of road after I go over pothole. At uneven surfaces or edges it was pulling it to some side.

But after this fix everything is changed. Then I changed my tires to New Unicorn tires. Now bike is perfectly stable.
Yes.. Its the same problem with mine too. Seems loke toppling over to the other side like on an edge of a cliff. Can you detail more about the part or work done please, where excatly is the dog clip located and what is it. Is it something to do with rear wheel alignment(not trueness but straight line alignment).

Changing to bigger rear tyre will reduce the top end. Top speed of unicorn prior to 100/90 18 inch rear was 103kmph and now it is 101kmph. 3.5x18 was the best suited size for this bike they just killed that for cheap show.

thanks
Old 14th May 2009, 08:02   #19
BHPian

Its the just the handle assembly!

Hi,

My elder brother has a Unicorn and even he was facing this issue. The handle feels like it cannot be turned on a rough patch, right?

If this is true, then all you have to do is get the bearings changed with a new set and everything will be fine.

Even I had a similar issue with my Ambition and did the same thing of replacing the bearings and it worked!

Maybe on your next serving you can get it done, wont cost too much even if your bike is out of warranty now.

Regards,
Abhishekh
Old 14th May 2009, 11:41   #20
BHPian

steering bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hi,

My elder brother has a Unicorn and even he was facing this issue. The handle feels like it cannot be turned on a rough patch, right?

If this is true, then all you have to do is get the bearings changed with a new set and everything will be fine.

Even I had a similar issue with my Ambition and did the same thing of replacing the bearings and it worked!

Maybe on your next serving you can get it done, wont cost too much even if your bike is out of warranty now.

Regards,
Abhishekh
Hi,
I had this part as my primary culprit for the stability problem.
So I got every thing in the steering collumn replaced few thousand km before. But its still giving scary twist weave and lock kinda feeling. The steering automatically steer itself when on an uveven surface. Even the front shock was done with new oil and seal etc along with the steering collumn overhaul. Do no what to do now. Should try to refit rear wheel this weekend.
Thanks

Most Viewed