Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2005, 09:15   #1

Help...Please

Here's the deal....I'm moving back home to Hyd. soon, currently residing in the States. I'm 18 and I'll be comming home to study medicine, and I'd like a badass bike. I didn't like the HH Splendor I rode around on my last vist, too weak. Honestly I want a sportbike, and from what I here there are no sportbikes for sale in Indian. I have to get one imported. Is that a 100% true?
Old 14th February 2005, 09:42   #2
BHPian

Take my advice! dont come you will suffer !

if you come, get a bike which can be taken back with you when you leave. get a big ass 1200 cc one not a 600cc for christ sake

and by the way my name is Kalyan. recently returned from US and got sports car sickness. Phno is 9393001950 get in touch

which college are you tryin to join in hyderabad. call me so tht I can go for a ride on your bike!! hehehe just kiddin.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 14th February 2005 at 09:50.
Old 15th February 2005, 00:31   #3

Some place called Mediciti? The only downside about India is the lack of sportbikes, looks like I'll have to get one brought in for me. Do I have to make arrangements here or can I go to a Yamaha dealer there and they'd help me out?
Old 15th February 2005, 08:33   #4
BHPian

Hi Indieboy...

The dealers here, can't/won't help you in any way.

If you want a big bike in India, you have two options

First, if you are coming here from abroad, you can bring one in under the "Transfer of Residence" rule. I think you need to have been away from india for atleast 2 years.
The duty you will have to pay is around 25% of the bike's value.
If you already have a bike there, this would be perfect.

Note, that even if you do everything legally, expect to grease a palm or two, so that things move smoothly.

Some one posted this website that has all the info
->->->Clicky<-<-<-

Secondy there are quite a few people in Bangalore and Pune who will be willing to import the bike for you. They will either find a person who is moving to India, and import it under their name, or import it as spare parts, and assemble it here. If it is assembled here, it will have the Registration as a RX-100 or Pulsar or something. In which case, insuring the bike for the real value will be a problem

If you're going to be in India for a short while(2 or 3 years), the best option is to go to Pune or Bangalore and pick up a second hand bike. It would be cheaper and easier. You can find most of the 600 and litre bikes available.

Idea of prices

The local dealers charge anywhere between 7-9 lakhs for brand new bikes(600 and litre supersports)

Used ones can be had for around 4-5 lakhs for 3-5 year old models.
Old 15th February 2005, 14:49   #5
BHPian

Vulken, u advice him not to go for a 600c one and to go for a 1200cc one... I fell the R6 is a very good bike.. Considering indian roads, i really doubt you can use the big machine to its max potential.... 600cc is perfect, saw epyupc's bike.. Damn, it was good....

_CheerS_
Old 15th February 2005, 14:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity
Vulken, u advice him not to go for a 600c one and to go for a 1200cc one... I fell the R6 is a very good bike.. Considering indian roads, i really doubt you can use the big machine to its max potential.... 600cc is perfect, saw epyupc's bike.. Damn, it was good....

_CheerS_

what is wrong in havin extra power, if he can get it for free he

how much did epyupc's bike cost? which year or some details abt it?

Man I always wanted a biggy but couldnt get it, It was not practical at all In US all these 4 years.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 15th February 2005 at 14:58.
Old 16th February 2005, 04:57   #7
BHPian

IMHO, its not all about power in big bikes...

Its about how and where the power is.

Regarding supersports, the litre bikes have a lot more power than the 600s.

But in the litre bikes, its more steady power all the way from 3-4k to 10k (RPM), with great torque through the range.

The 600s are more like two strokes. all the powers is between 9k and 13-14k. You have to keeps the revs up to get the push. But once at 9k, its glorious!!!

You have to decide what you want.

The 0-100 and 0-150 times for both will be almost identical. its after 150 that the litre bikes have an advantage. And after 200, they have the torque to really fly. Basically, at the track and even in quarter mile drags, its not about the bike, but about the rider. My ideal bike would be a 750. But yamaha don't make one :(

Of course, if you don't want a supersport, then its all about
torque vs weight.

I personally like the 1000 naked bikes, but any bigger, and they get too heavy for me to handle well. Then again, thats my personal opinion and riding skills.

Most Viewed