Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 08:14   #1
BHPian

Yamaha Gladiator, tested

Was waiting for my new Gladiator and was without a bike for more than two months. This pain of waiting vanished as I got hold of the bike. 125cc, many people called me fool as I was compromising my 180 and a 150cc bike for a 125. As I was very touring specific, I had doubts of my own too. Got the bike, did 800 kms before I thought of going on a ride. Planned an endurance ride to cover atleast 1800 kms. Got the plans right and prepared myself for the ride. But due to unavailability of petrol in most of the parts in Chikkamagalur and other districts, I had to rename the endurance ride to serious offroading.

It went like this:
Started at 10:00 AM on friday with high hopes of covering atleast 1800 kms and check whether the bike is any good for touring. Filled fuel and started towards Hassan. Thought I would top up the tank again and asked for petrol with 2-3 bunks. Similar response. No stock. Started towards Belur, thought I would refuel. No stock. Thought for sometime. Changed my plan.

From Belur, went straight to Horanaadu via Kottigehara. It was evening by the time I reached Horanaadu. Booked a room, dumped the luggage. Relaxed a bit and went to the forest area. Took permission to ride in the forest. Enjoyed off-roading to the core. Worries about the belly pan was not a worry anymore when I had already completed 25 plus kms in the forest area. Enjoyed every moment, clicked a lot of snaps before I went back to the room. Was able to see few peacocks. Unfortunately no snakes this time :-) Went to temple, had dinner and slept off. As I already had taken the Kottigehaara route, I dint want to go back via the same road. Thought I would take Shimoga route.

Started at 8:00AM in the morning next day (5th Jul 2007), took the Sringeri road and reached Shimoga via Koppa. Had lunch at Shimoga and left the place and landed in Bangalore at 6:30 PM the same day.
Had road humps and uncertainities for breakfast, hairpin bends for lunch and unlimited josh for dinner. Felt like sitting on a sofa even on potholed roads. Even with the skinny tyres, I was able to do easy 80kmph on the hairpin bends when it was raining like crazy. I dont know whom to compliment, whether the bike manufacturer or the tyre manufacturer. Was able to reach top speed of 100 kmph and covered a total distance of 889 kms.

Route: Bangalore-->Kunigal-->Hassan-->Belur--Chikkamagalur-->Kalasa-->Horanaadu... Offroading, after that halt

Horanaadu-->Baalehonnuru-->Sringeri-->Koppa-->Shimoga-->Bhadravati-->Tiptur-->Tumkur-->Bangalore

Riding itch reduced a bit. Consumed 15 ltrs of fuel. It was an amazing ride, amazing bike.

Braking is more than adequate and it stops where you want it to. Ride feedback was mindblowing and I wish I hasd spent a few more days on leave with ma new bike.

If asked whether I miss my 180, my answer is a big NO. This bike has everything you want. Small on budget too. Except it is a bit slow on highway.

I always thought the Handling of Unicorn, TVS apache RTR, HH ZMA, HH Xtreme is superior. But now, Gladiator is no less. It is just great and can outperform most of the bigger bikes too :-)

Please check few photos here:
http://renukumarsphotos.fotopic.net/c1540787.html

Regards,
Renu Kumar
Yamaha, Nothing else matters :-)
Old 7th July 2008, 14:31   #2
BHPian

super maga,

awesome pictures, hope to have the same ride on my gladiator RS,

"Yamaha, Nothing else matters " ya, i have heard this before... hmmmmm..

keep on riding.....
Old 7th July 2008, 14:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Some good pics you have there mate. Keep enjoying ur ride
Old 7th July 2008, 15:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats buddy enjoy the bike, nice pictures
Old 7th July 2008, 16:05   #5
BHPian

Nice writeup and pictures of off roading,
Is there any change in the specs from the older version (mine is a type J.A)

How and why did you switch from a p180 to gladiator.
Nice choice though

Last edited by junky : 7th July 2008 at 16:06.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:51   #6
BHPian

Spectacular pics dude! You sure'll be the envy of your friends and your Gladi will definitely be the envy of your gals.
Downgrading (if it can be called so) from a P180 is a bit surprising. HH Karizma would be the first bike to come to mind if touring is high on priority. Nevertheless, if you're happy with it, tension yaake?
Enjoy Maadi!
Old 7th July 2008, 17:08   #7
BHPian

Proves that Gladiator is a very good bike for touring. The new bike is really nice. Good to know that handling is superior.

Trip log was very nice and the photos are very good. Keep it up!cheers:
Old 7th July 2008, 17:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Pr. Good to know that handling is superior.
Yes superior is the operative word here, even with a pillion onboard the bike simply has no problems while leaning and experienced riders could also use this bike for getting new kneepads everyday
Old 7th July 2008, 20:20   #9
BHPian

Nice pics dude,Keep Riding.

CHEERS,
G D
Old 10th July 2008, 00:25   #10
BHPian

Hi all, thanks for the comments :-)

@five46: ZMA only in terms of power. Other depts, the new Yamaha excels :-)

@Sanjay: Hope to ride with you soon...

Regards,

Renu Kumar
Old 11th July 2008, 17:33   #11
BHPian

I am planning to own one. Having small doubts but your experience sums it up all and that was a very nice write up.

-BSR
Old 11th July 2008, 21:52   #12
BANNED

Congrates buddy from this old junk bike collector.
Wheres your RXG?
BTW wont you regreat missing R15.
Old 14th July 2008, 01:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao_battula View Post
I am planning to own one. Having small doubts but your experience sums it up all and that was a very nice write up.

-BSR
@Rao: Glad I was able to assist you with Gladiator :-)

You also end up saving a lot of money.

How?

On road in Bangalore: 53500 for RS version. It is cheap and best. Comes with Disk Brake, Alloy wheels, tachometer and Electric starter as standard.

Yamaha's trust

Great fuel efficiency. Not less than 55kmpl.

Great styling... (my view, other's view might change)

Cost of Yamaha Lube per ltr: 156 Rs. Castrol, per ltr = 200 Rs

@Ajay: Great to see you here bro... so, how are you? I sold my RX 5 speed :-(

I am a tourer and I dont want the R15, waiting for the other 150 :-)
Old 21st October 2008, 23:05   #14
BHPian

Good selection Renukumar.. Congrats. My brother have YBX 125 which has almost the same engine. And its a great engine in the 125 lot. It had very less maintainance cost till date. About the new Gladiator, only the narrow rear tyre is my concern. But still the handling is perfect for its power.
Your photography too is nice..
Keep going...
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:08   #15
BHPian

No comments. Magane come this weekend, we'll talk.
Dont be so lost with one brand man. Have an open mind.
Do you know what makes a good touring bike?
*Loads of torque (the gladiator with its 123cc engine cant offer u that)
*Relaxed ride even at speeds above 100 (the glady wont even get to a true 100 without screaming for mercy)
*Good ride quality (The glady is a commuter man, I'll give u the gyaan later)

The list is pretty long. Going by all this, the most relaxed and acceptable + no nonsense tourer is the karizma. The gladiator can only work well for city sprints.
Now u talking about the FZ, well I have no say. First learn to decide on a bike based on its engine confirguration.

Latest update - Renukumar is all set to sell his powerful 125cc gladiator already and buy something even slower.

Joel

Last edited by fieroid : 22nd October 2008 at 17:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks