Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 16:22   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rusting Rims

I had a flat in my bike the other day.
When checked found that the inner liner on the rim was narrow and not able to protect the tube from the rust that forms on the inside.

Replaced the tube rather than fix it.
Got a broad liner made using an old cycle tube and got it fixed for about 40 bucks.

Riders, you might want to check this out.
Old 28th July 2008, 16:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I had a flat in my bike the other day.
When checked found that the inner liner on the rim was narrow and not able to protect the tube from the rust that forms on the inside.

Replaced the tube rather than fix it.
Got a broad liner made using an old cycle tube and got it fixed for about 40 bucks.

Riders, you might want to check this out.
Why don't you do rubber paint inside RIMS? It is very effective and protect your RIM with rust. I had done it in my first bike.
Old 28th July 2008, 18:37   #3
BHPian

Even I noticed rust inside the rims when I was changing the tyres, but I am planning to re-chrome the rims, so when I dismantle the rims, will paint it at the same time.
Old 29th July 2008, 13:41   #4
BHPian

Rubber paint works as does regular enamel paint. I treated my ancient Triumph to some 26 years ago. The rubber 'band' that's often fitted is not good enough-it's only a mechanical guard between the potentially sharp/at least uneven spoke ends and the tube; this calls for the close sealing with metal that paint provides. Besides moisture/water creeps in via the spoke orifices and the rubber band would do zip about that.

Any inputs on whether the bronze looking stuff they paint on chrome in Mumbai will work?
Old 29th July 2008, 18:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Any inputs on whether the bronze looking stuff they paint on chrome in Mumbai will work?
My rims are bronze at the moment. Anti-rust. lol.
Old 5th August 2008, 15:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
My rims are bronze at the moment. Anti-rust. lol.

Ah, so there's a solution. If it works on the external chrome, it should protect the insides just as well. What is it? Is it permanent or do you re-apply it every monsoon?
Old 5th August 2008, 16:45   #7
BANNED

The Bronze one looks good but very tough to remove i lost my bikes decails from left side cowl while getting it clean, better stick to the darker shade.
Old 25th June 2010, 21:46   #8
BHPian

:)

I have found painting red oxide inside the rims keeps the rust at bay for years. Its a simple DIY job and doesn't cost a fortune! Hope it helps!
Old 26th June 2010, 09:03   #9
BANNED

Rust on the rims is not totally avoidable , We can take following care
1) exrernal suface: keep it clean , coating it with anti rust (in monsoon)
2) Insides, Periodically scrubing cleaning,sanding (light) & coating it with Red Oxide paint , this need not be done much frequently ,once in 3 to 4years . ( doing this on my Yezdi ,25 years )
3) Most Important , the tyre guyes tend to fit a dripping wet tube (specially at puncture repair ), Always fit a throughly dried & powdered tube .
Point 3 IS the most important .
Yours Sudarshan.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am my bike's anti-rust. In its 5.5 years, I've never applied anti-rust to protect it. I wipe off ALL chrome surfaces after a wet ride. Its a painstaking process, since I use the Bullet everyday (even in the rains). But the moment I park it, I make it a point to wipe the wheels, handlebar, handlebar mounts, chrome bolts/nuts, Speedo/key/ammeter rims, chrome tank, silencer, bend pipe, kick lever, engine oil dipstick, crash guard, suspensions chrome covers, chrome mudguards completely dry! Friends and others tell me they do not have time to do all this. Even I don't, but I remove time off. They say they spent a lakh or over for such a bike and it rusts so fast. Little do they know that one has to MAINTAIN it since they paid so much. Its not like the Pulsar or CBZ that have comparitively much much lesser things to rust.

I have tried the golden anti-rust just once. I used it for three days, hated it and removed it off. I guess my bike is the ONLY chrome Bullet I see in good shape while most others hide the chrome away with anti-rust solution.

Last edited by Gordon : 26th June 2010 at 12:43.
Old 26th June 2010, 13:08   #11
BHPian

u get Stainless steel rims for bullet...try royalenfieldzone.com
Old 26th June 2010, 15:47   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I am my bike's anti-rust. In its 5.5 years, I've never applied anti-rust to protect it. I wipe off ALL chrome surfaces after a wet ride. Its a painstaking process, since I use the Bullet everyday (even in the rains). But the moment I park it, I make it a point to wipe the wheels, handlebar, handlebar mounts, chrome bolts/nuts, Speedo/key/ammeter rims, chrome tank, silencer, bend pipe, kick lever, engine oil dipstick, crash guard, suspensions chrome covers, chrome mudguards completely dry! Friends and others tell me they do not have time to do all this. Even I don't, but I remove time off. They say they spent a lakh or over for such a bike and it rusts so fast. Little do they know that one has to MAINTAIN it since they paid so much. Its not like the Pulsar or CBZ that have comparitively much much lesser things to rust.

I have tried the golden anti-rust just once. I used it for three days, hated it and removed it off. I guess my bike is the ONLY chrome Bullet I see in good shape while most others hide the chrome away with anti-rust solution.
Hi do you have any solution for the 'Inside' rusting of tank & rims ?
Old 26th June 2010, 15:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrock View Post
u get Stainless steel rims for bullet...try royalenfieldzone.com
I have 100% stainless steel unused cutlery manufactured by Vinod Steel, rusting at my home. The quality of steel now is not what it used to be. Its a simple funda, if you do not wipe it, it will rust for sure....
Old 26th June 2010, 23:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi do you have any solution for the 'Inside' rusting of tank & rims ?
For the inside's I do not have a solution, because I haven't encountered it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey
you do not wipe it, it will rust for sure....
Completely agree. And the rusting process unusually speeds if you cover a wet vehicle (car OR bike).
Old 26th June 2010, 23:55   #15
BHPian

I completely agree with Gordon. After riding in the rain, I wipe my bike dry even in the office parking lot. My colleagues think that I am a psycho -- one have even named me Bikosexual!!!
Removing the mud and the muck is also equally important. Polishing with the regular wax once a week would also do wonders I guess!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks