Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 10:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Is the colour of the brake fluid Yellow? That's what my Karizma has.

Well, it's easy to find out when the brake fluid level gets low. If reservoir is full the metal disc behind the viewing window will be red or yellow as per the colour of oil. Once the level starts to come down you can see the metal disc in steel's colour. Isn't it easy to spot the colour difference?
That is exactly the problem here. It is as good as transparent! Its neither green nor red or yellow. That's why I had that small oil "box" opened to see if its over or not. Will post a pic in a day or 2 to make it even more clear.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

amtak while getting this done it might also be a good idea to check the wear and tear on your brake shoes.
Old 28th August 2008, 12:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
amtak while getting this done it might also be a good idea to check the wear and tear on your brake shoes.
True. But Would it go haywire on a bike which is just 2.5 months old?
Old 28th August 2008, 13:24   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
True. But Would it go haywire on a bike which is just 2.5 months old?

No I am sure it would not be worn out so soon unless something drastic is done.

My disc brake pads lasted well over 4.5 years and an estimated 60k+ kms.
Old 28th August 2008, 13:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

In that case I needn't worry. My bike has just completed 1100 Kms so far! avoided riding it in monsoon. Now all it needs is some rust removal!
Old 30th December 2008, 10:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Where to buy KBX dot4 brake oil for bikes in bangalore? .I searched was not able to get one .
Old 30th December 2008, 17:31   #22
BANNED

Castrol is good enough. 85 bucks the tiny bottle.

I have a DIY brake line bleeding technique somewhere, i will try and dig it up. Used to bleed the brake line on my 01 HH CBZ. Was quite easy, but messy.
Old 1st January 2009, 14:18   #23
BHPian

As other member informed , KBX dot 4 will do the job perfect
Old 1st January 2009, 16:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I have a DIY brake line bleeding technique somewhere, i will try and dig it up. Used to bleed the brake line on my 01 HH CBZ. Was quite easy, but messy.
Spitfire, that would be very useful for many! proper brake bleeding is a procedure most bike service centres fail to do upto satisfaction.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

The brake fluid in my CBX-x was over 2.5 years old, so decided it was overdue for change. What transpired has left me fuming.

When I gave the bike for servicing (Prathamesh Motors, Bhandarkar Road, Pune) I asked what they use and how. I learnt they buy big bottles of brake fluid (DOT 3) and use it according to need. No guesses regarding how long a big bottle will last them! When questioned, they had no concept at all about brake fluids being highly hygroscopic and that once a bottle is opened, it should not be stored even if capped properly. In fact one the mechs (who actually seemed like quite a nice guy, compared to the mechanics I'v seen at Automark Motors, Kothrud; who are in short, simply appealing) even told me they were not told anything of the sort during training. So they use it like any other oil... in fact they even refer to brake fluid as brake oil, which is of course technically quite incorrect.

So after getting to know all this I asked if I could bring my own bottle, to which they readily agreed. So next day I go with a bottle of KBX DOT 3 (could not find DOT 4 readily, and really didn't have time to hunt). Now the way they replaced the fluid was really amazing!

The mech simply, opened the master cylinder, sucked out brake fluid with a syringe and then topped it up using a tiny bit from my bottle! When I pointed out that this is no good, as the old fluid has to be bled from the bottom, I was told that nobody does that as it is too time consuming and this was the standard procedure they use on all bikes and they have never had any complaints.

Well, I guess I got nothing more to say, except that Hero Honda service has absolutely gone to the worms.

So beware dudes, do not expect anything to be done right behind your backs. Not even critical stuff like this. Your safety is in your own hands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks