Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 16:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Heat resistant paint for exhaust

Bumping an old thread.

Hi,

I have a free flow exhaust on my Suzuki Fiero. I need to get it painted. The exhaust's bend pipe is steel and the end can is aluminum. What is the best method to paint it so that it does not get affected by the heat/rust/etc.

Chroming would not work as per the chromer, since the end is all aluminum and chrome supposedly would not stay on it.

In one of the above posts, heat resistant paints/enamels are mentioned. So that is one option. Anything better in the market now?

What are my options? All suggestions and advices are welcome.

MaSh
Old 19th February 2011, 17:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Best thing was the way i fooled the surveyor.
my ride has a K&N and another stock one was standing along i said just look at the difference in the sound the damage is internal

^^ I Sincerely hope that your surveyor is not on Tbhp.
Old 20th February 2011, 12:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Bumping an old thread.

Hi,

I have a free flow exhaust on my Suzuki Fiero. I need to get it painted. The exhaust's bend pipe is steel and the end can is aluminum. What is the best method to paint it so that it does not get affected by the heat/rust/etc.

Chroming would not work as per the chromer, since the end is all aluminum and chrome supposedly would not stay on it.

In one of the above posts, heat resistant paints/enamels are mentioned. So that is one option. Anything better in the market now?

What are my options? All suggestions and advices are welcome.

MaSh
I would suggest that it would be better to get it chromed, by painting the aluminium end can with some cheap paint until the entire unit is e-plated. later while buffing the end can also be buffed to a shiny finish, in this way you can get a nice looking & weatherproofed exhaust unit.
Old 14th March 2014, 19:43   #19
BHPian

Hi,

apologies for bumping up an old thread.

My rtr is facing rust issues on the silencer near the head as seen in the pics. I would like to powder coat or paint it - dont know which is the right thing to do. Kindly advise what is needed to be done and where I could do it in Bangalore.

Thank you!
sai
Attached Thumbnails
Heat resistant paint for exhaust-img_20140212_123647.jpg  

Heat resistant paint for exhaust-img_20140212_123651.jpg  

Heat resistant paint for exhaust-img_20140212_123656.jpg  

Old 15th March 2014, 03:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, powder coating paints are limited to temperatures of around 430* C. Unfortunately, your exhaust pipe will reach temperatures of over 650* C if the engine is run hard.

There are paints, usually black in color, that can withstand the higher temperature I mentioned above but even these will fail over time.

On the positive side, these black high temperature paints will last a long time if they only have to withstand the temperatures the exhaust pipe will reach with normal (not spirited) riding.

If you can find a auto parts store they sometimes have these special exhaust manifold paints for sale.

In the USA, Krylon and Rust-oleum sell paints intended to be used on BBQ's and wood burning stoves. These paints are inexpensive and do a good job of withstanding the high temperatures these stoves are capable of.
Perhaps you can find a store that sells a similar BBQ/Wood Stove paint in India?

If you do find a suitable paint, you will have to remove all of the rust from your exhaust pipe before you paint it. No paint will adhere to a rusty surface like that.
Old 18th March 2014, 17:50   #21
BHPian

I know of a company called Kwality Paints in Pune which manufactures heat resistant paint coatings for car exhausts for Tata, Hyundai, Hero MotoCorp, Honda Cars and bikes and Bajaj. Their website is www.kwalitypaints.co.in. But I think they only supply to manufacturers. But no risk asking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks