Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2011, 12:22   #31
BHPian

Re: Life of a bike engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
My friends Unicorn is going for a overhaul at 30k bcoz of drinking lot of engine oil. He is not a rash driver and maintains the bike very well. Only thing he does is use it for long touring rides.Somehow I dont feel that there is a vast difference between the life of Honda engines and TVS engines.
If the Unicorn is going in for a overhaul at just 30K, then there is definitely something wrong with it. I would agree if this was a general trend, but I have never heard of an engine that has no perceived problems going in for an overhaul at 30K kms. By this, I mean, drinking engine oil would be a one off case.

TVS engines have come a long way and the quality is as good as any in the market.

Prajwal
Old 31st January 2011, 23:17   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
My friends Unicorn is going for a overhaul at 30k bcoz of drinking lot of engine oil. He is not a rash driver and maintains the bike very well. Only thing he does is use it for long touring rides.Somehow I dont feel that there is a vast difference between the life of Honda engines and TVS engines.
Is that manufactured b/w 2005 & 2008 ? They were known to be problematic.
Old 31st January 2011, 23:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

My friend's Unicorn completed 1.3l KM without any major maintenance and still going strong.
Old 26th March 2012, 17:06   #34
BHPian

Thought I would update the thread with the latest info.

The bike completed 9 yrs of ownership and 1.18L kms last week. I was still getting 50-55kmpl and pickup was good and I could touch 75-80 very easily.

On Friday night, while coming back from work, I kick the bike and hear some metallic ting sound in the engine. The kick is jammed. Speak to a mechanic and he advised not to do anything further. Took a train back home.

Early Sunday morning, we reach the office, it is now confirmed that the piston was jammed. Towed the bike back home and the mechanic started working on it around 11.30 am. Being Sunday, markets were open until 2.30pm only.

Got the following changed:
1. Piston and block - Rs. 1400 (MRP Rs.1592)
2. Valves - Rs. 275
3. Gaskets - Rs. 175
4. Oil Seals - Rs. 60
5. Labor - Rs. 750

Filled new engine oil and now back to running in the new block.

So the life of my bike engine was 1.18L Kms - now we know!

Whats shocking is that there were no signs of impending disaster till the very last. The engine just passed away peacefully in its sleep.
Old 26th March 2012, 17:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

I too did a new cylinder kit job on my CT100 recently, costed Rs.7k in total. The bike had run 93k km.

After the overhaul, if the initial run-in is proper(to ride at proper gear for the speed, not to exceed 50 Kmph), then the engine will last 75% of its last cylinder life.

Still, I do get 72 kmpl around 50 kmph speeds.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 17:45   #36
Team-BHP Support

Engine, any engine can last really long, if maintenance is carried out at regular, specified intervals. This particular bike is doing few 1000 mile runs in 24 hours and red-lined whenever the rider got a chance.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th March 2012 at 17:54.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Thought I would update the thread with the latest info.

The bike completed 9 yrs of ownership and 1.18L kms last week. I was still getting 50-55kmpl and pickup was good and I could touch 75-80 very easily.
Now thats really surprising?! How can the piston of a bike that is used daily just jam? "Normal" signs of wear happen gradually.

Btw, which bike is this?
Old 26th March 2012, 19:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Now thats really surprising?! How can the piston of a bike that is used daily just jam? "Normal" signs of wear happen gradually.

Btw, which bike is this?
Yes, it is surprising, no loss of power, no smoke, no nothing. Took my daily ride of 25kms and parked it. On return, its jammed.

The bike is Caliber 115, the one from the first Kawasaki branded lot.
Old 26th March 2012, 20:42   #39
BHPian

I have a 2005 March Unicorn which have clocked 60,000 kms. No power loss, no excess oil consumption, no drop in mileage( which is remaining constant at 68 kms per ltr).
Attached Thumbnails
Life of a bike engine-corn6.jpg  

Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 21:07   #40
BHPian

My take, buy a new bike only and only if you are bitten with the "new bike" craze. Only if you can't keep staring the FZ's, R15's or CBR's or even Hunks and Pulsars running around you. And if not, don't change a trusted bike. There's something different about a bike that has served you well and for long. And as somebody said, If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I am sure, regular servicing, oil changes is all you need to keep it going beyond the 1Lakh kms.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 00:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is surprising, no loss of power, no smoke, no nothing. Took my daily ride of 25kms and parked it. On return, its jammed.

The bike is Caliber 115, the one from the first Kawasaki branded lot.
Very strange indeed! There has to be an explanation...

Guys, when you quote km and time, it could also be useful if you make at least a brief mention on how the bike was maintained; ie. brand & grade of oil, oil change duration, etc., etc.
Old 12th August 2021, 09:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Whats shocking is that there were no signs of impending disaster till the very last. The engine just passed away peacefully in its sleep.
I've seen several bikes like this in my brother's workshop. Discovers, Shine and Unicorns too. The customer would ride their bike to the workshop for regular service. When the bike is started the next time, metallic clangs and jammed kicker/self motor would occur. Upon opening the head, for inspection, the piston will be broken into several pieces. One Shine customer happened to witness it firsthand in his vehicle when he was asked to park it in another place. The engine was jammed. And upon opening it, it was broken piston.
Reason for this is unknown but it's kind of a near regular occurrence.

BTW, my dad's Caliber(1998 model) is still running and has clocked about 2.5l kms. It's running on its second piston-cyl kit. The stock kit lasted about 1.2l kms. Second one lasted for about 90k kms. It still runs proud and starts with a single kick.
John P Daniel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 11:03   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P Daniel View Post
I've seen several bikes like this in my brother's workshop. Discovers, Shine and Unicorns too. The customer would ride their bike to the workshop for regular service. When the bike is started the next time, metallic clangs and jammed kicker/self motor would occur. Upon opening the head, for inspection, the piston will be broken into several pieces. One Shine customer happened to witness it firsthand in his vehicle when he was asked to park it in another place. The engine was jammed. And upon opening it, it was broken piston.
Reason for this is unknown but it's kind of a near regular occurrence.

BTW, my dad's Caliber(1998 model) is still running and has clocked about 2.5l kms. It's running on its second piston-cyl kit. The stock kit lasted about 1.2l kms. Second one lasted for about 90k kms. It still runs proud and starts with a single kick.
Glad to see you here.

Speaking about old Bajaj's my CT100B is at 75k on the odo and still going strong on her second clutch.

Under load makes some drrr....drrr...dr... Sound from the head, it's not audible per say and only noticed if you're particularly looking for it, a fellow enthusiast said it's due to carbon buildup as he has a 400k+ run Joy that makes a similar noise when carbon builds up. Anyhow I'm going to ignore the same till I cross 100k.

Do share your thoughts on the same.

She was parked at a friends place, would be getting her back shortly as my buddy has undertaken a few restorations and can't keep the CT with him anymore due to space constraints.

I'm more excited to get my CT back than when I'd got the CBR250R or the Bullet. Guess the heart really wants what the heart wants.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 14th August 2021, 17:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Glad to see you here.
I'm glad to see you here too bro.

Quote:
Speaking about old Bajaj's my CT100B is at 75k on the odo and still going strong on her second clutch.

Under load makes some drrr....drrr...dr... Sound from the head, it's not audible per say and only noticed if you're particularly looking for it.

Do share your thoughts on the same.
IMO, as long as the bike runs fine in both performance and efficiency, no need for any such special maintenance. It's just 25k kms more for 1 lakh milestone and I'm sure you'd achieve it in a year's time. Wish you many more miles on your beloved steeds!

Quote:
I'm more excited to get my CT back than when I'd got the CBR250R or the Bullet. Guess the heart really wants what the heart wants.
That's for sure. Ultimately, everytime we ride or drive, once the novelty factor fades away, it's the heart that makes us enjoy the journey, not the mind.
John P Daniel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 19:04   #45
BHPian

I have a 2016 TB UCE running at 1,16,000 strong. She just goes through periodic service of 3000k. Still clocks till 90 without a sweat. Want to see how long she runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Life of a bike engine-tb.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks