Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2008, 17:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

there is a thread running about his ZMA mod's/
Old 9th November 2008, 18:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Srijit, the cost for the jets and the filter that's it. Around 5k total. Jets would've costed less if i dint have to experiment. Prices are given in my mod thread.

Ok this might sound stupid

Does polishing the exterior reduce aerodynamic drag? I am referring to bikes with fairing and car exteriors.

The reason i ask is some polish manufacturers claims to reduce the drag when applied to the body of aircrafts.
Old 9th November 2008, 19:09   #33
BHPian

What use would polishing be in the dust thrown up by buses and cars? It would very quickly lose its drag reducing properties.

@Sankar, I just wanted to know if modding a bike for perfomance would be worthwhile, even if someone is looking for just fuel-efficiency and not power. Obviously, you were looking only for power and the FE is a nice bonus. That is why I wanted to know the cost and the FE gains/losses over stock.
BTW, what is the stock FE for the zma?
Old 9th November 2008, 19:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

I'm not aware how much HH claims as the mileage of Karizma. Maybe someone else can throw some light on this.

To answer your question, i say if you are interested in fuel efficiency then tuning it to yield better fuel efficiency would be better than tuning it for power. Tuning for power may or may not yield a better fuel efficiency, depends on a lot of things.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

The things I use

1. Kill the engine and coast to a stop, when you've reached a parking or a traffic signal, or stopping just for the heck of it
  2. I don't start the bike, then reverse it, adjust the mirrors, put on the helmet and stuff like that and still keep the engine running. Once I start the bike, its into gear and i'm ready to go
  3. Idling it to get it up to temperature is a waste of fuel. A better way is riding it very slowly for upto a kilometer without straining the engine
  4. Wearing loose clothes also reduces mileage.
  5. Anticipatory riding helps a lot. watching out for potholes, other vehicles slowing down and stuff like that stops you from applying the brake and controlling the bike with the accelerator
Old 12th November 2008, 15:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Bike hit reserve today at 329Kms on the tripmeter, previous reading was 228, fuel filled was 3.9 liters. So the mileage is now 25.8kmpl!

Don't snigger guys The bike was given for second service yesterday and some fuel must've been used/taken by the Service center as is usual always.
Old 12th November 2008, 19:27   #37
BHPian

Seems about right, if you take into account them pilfering about 1 - 1.5 litres :(
Old 12th November 2008, 20:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Sankar- actually this is the right mileage that you have got
Old 12th November 2008, 20:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Sankar- actually this is the right mileage that you have got
Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Seems about right, if you take into account them pilfering about 1 - 1.5 litres :(
Techno, like Srijit said pilferage was very much expected. Never was any of my bikes returned from any service center or any workshop with the amount of fuel intact as i left it at the garage.

I have given here the data of two reserve to reserve runs and i can't be wrong twice In the second run i was particular to rule out any error while i took in the data.

But the fact is i don't care much about fuel economy as long as the bike is running like i want to. Btw I changed the jet to 135 to make you guys happy lol
Old 12th November 2008, 21:02   #40
BHPian

I get 40 kmpl in City without much ripping and just maintaining under 5000 rpm with occasional bursts to 100 kmph. But if rip, I would get only 32-35 kmpl.
Old 13th November 2008, 13:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Techno, like Srijit said pilferage was very much expected. Never was any of my bikes returned from any service center or any workshop with the amount of fuel intact as i left it at the garage.
I agree & thats why i keep bare minimum fuel while giving my car\bike for service

Quote:
I have given here the data of two reserve to reserve runs and i can't be wrong twice In the second run i was particular to rule out any error while i took in the data.
Chill man I was just pulling your leg

But yes I am certainly surprised by the mileage especially with the Heavy PSD at rear, may be mods are helping or the riding style or the ZMA R has better mileage.

Happy experimenting & keep reporting
Old 13th November 2008, 17:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
But yes I am certainly surprised by the mileage especially with the Heavy PSD at rear, may be mods are helping or the riding style or the ZMA R has better mileage.

Happy experimenting & keep reporting
Yeah even i was surprised at the mileage i am getting and that too since i was not babying the bike. Shall report the mileage with the bigger jets. I changed the mains to 135 coz the plug colour wasn't exactly chocolate brown as i'd like, instead it was very light tan, so dint want to risk it.
Old 13th November 2008, 17:36   #43
Team-BHP Support

Plug colours do tell a lot about the condition of an engine.
This is a very handy chart.
Verrill: Plug Color Chart
Old 13th November 2008, 17:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

The problem with reading spark plugs is that it's not accurate just to compare the colour of the porcelain with a plug chart. Plug charts can be taken as a good reference but jetting is lot more than just plug colours.

Here's a good plug colour chart:
Spark Plugs

MY Karizma's plug looked like No 16. I'm hoping to get the colour of No 14 plug with the upjet, coz it felt slightly lean at WOT but excellent at midrange. Probably the jet i need might a 132 which i didn't buy.
Old 13th November 2008, 20:56   #45
BHPian

Got a classic pulsar 180 (2002 model-First lot to arrive in chennai). Till date the bike gives me between 42-46 kms to the litre in everyday traffic and dips to 38 under heavy ripping. Follow all the tips listed in the forum religiously including kicking first thing in the morning. Bike is still in stock condition with the front tyre not having a single punture till date touch wood. Make sure I get the pressures checked every week without fail. I guess zappers made back then musta been real good quality stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks