Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:24   #1
BHPian

350cc to 500cc

Hi,

I own a 2005 bullet electra 5s 350cc.

This question is foe all bullet guru's can i replace the 350cc with the 500cc engine.
i.e i will be replacing only the head and piston all the remaining will be the same like gear box,tappets,tappet rods.

will the head be a direct fit or do i need some modifications.

Thanks
vamsi
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well the answer is Yes as One of my friend has had such conversion done & I have heard other such bikes too.

I believe all you need is to find a competent mech who has done this before. So someone from Bangalore should be able to guide you on this.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:36   #3
BHPian

Anyone from Bangalore done this conversion please give in some details.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Hi,

This question is foe all bullet guru's can i replace the 350cc with the 500cc engine.
i.e i will be replacing only the head and piston all the remaining will be the same like gear box,tappets,tappet rods.

Thanks
vamsi
The mods are not plug and play and easy as they look on paper.
I have seen people riding 350's converted to 500 and myself was toying with the idea but dropped it,since the cost was coming to be around 22K.
The crank of 350 is lighter than 500 and the conversion makes the 350 converted 500 faster than a normal 500 however it vibrates like hell.

If you want to do it,find someone who has the knowledge to do a proper conversion.
A better option will be to sell the 350 and find a decent used 500.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Hi,

Thanks
vamsi
In short no, because it is not a direct fit.

If you want to do this you will have to extensively modify the crankcase of your 350 Bullet. Modifications include welding aluminium to the crank case, relocating the stud holes on the crank case, and boring out the crank case to take the Bullet500's cylinder. 500 crankshaft is different but, 350 crank can be used. Imo this is not worth it and your Bullet will no longer be reliable.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:36   #6
BHPian

You could install a 500cc assembly kit, a 500's carb and do some mods in the jet/valves to see increase in preformance with decrease in mileage.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sankar, Is it this dicey? My friends converted 500 runs absolutely fine without any issues. I have ridden her myself & she is smooth & its been over 4 years that the conversion was done.

I will ask him for details.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

so ,if at all a 350cc to be converted to be 500cc ,can we get the complete engine+clutchbox+carb assembly? is it a direct fit?
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:27   #9
BANNED

First thing - why do you want to convert the 350 to a 500? What gains are you looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
A better option will be to sell the 350 and find a decent used 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
In short no, because it is not a direct fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
so ,if at all a 350cc to be converted to be 500cc ,can we get the complete engine+clutchbox+carb assembly? is it a direct fit?
Thats like buying the 500 without the frame, tank, side boxes and electricals. So yes its a direct fit in the 350 frame.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

heh!that will be interesting! How much will it cost? 25K?
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:46   #11
BANNED

Dont think you can buy only the engine. I had a similiar brainwave when i had the 350 and contacted RE for the same. No one knew whether they can ship me a complete engine in a box instead of in a frame. Even the person i interacted through mails and phone calls to RE suggested in getting a 500 instead of breaking your back on a conversion.

Later better sense prevailed and realised the effort required for the conversion, far outweighed the gains of a converted 500 over a 350.

Also i am not too sure how a converted 350 to 500 is better in performance to a stock 500 - all things being equal.

Better to get a 500 instead. My 2 paisa.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd November 2008 at 13:49.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Dont think you can buy only the engine. I had a similiar brainwave when i had the 350 and contacted RE for the same. No one knew whether they can ship me a complete engine in a box instead of in a frame. Even the person i interacted through mails and phone calls to RE suggested in getting a 500 instead of breaking your back on a conversion.

Later better sense prevailed and realised the effort required for the conversion, far outweighed the gains of a converted 500 over a 350.

Also i am not too sure how a converted 350 to 500 is better in performance to a stock 500 - all things being equal.

IIRC, i stumbled across the barrels of a bullet 500 on the internet once. they were being shipped to the US and the site was a US one. so it's surprising how RE were clueless!
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

@reddy6980: As Sankar & Spitfire already mentioned, 350 to 500cc conversion is not as straightforward as it looks like. If you are interested to understand the differences better, please visit a comptent mechanic & he will tell you whats different in 350 & 500cc.

I will recommend Anand (he is the owner of Teknik motors, Ulsoor). He might encourage you to go ahead with convertion...depending on how you look Just kidding. Speak to Ayub in Teknik motors. Ayub is the senior mechnanic in Teknik Motors garage and he is the one who has good knowledge of both Bullet 350cc & 500cc and he is up for challenges. talk to him...i am sure you will be enlightened.

Ayub has built a oil pressure guage for one my colleague's bullet. He has done slight modifications on my bike for better realiability. He is old fashioned, slow, takes time to understand the bike rather than "turn the bolt as the manual says" kind of mechanic. Hope he can clarify your doubts and give you good assessment about the conversion that you want to do.

Thank you
-Vaspro
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:45   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
they were being shipped to the US and the site was a US one. so it's surprising how RE were clueless!
Ask them to ship you the plastic wrap that they use to package the parts - if your address reads anywhere outside India they will do it for you. If you are like me and go asking for a engine and the address reads India - rest assured its going to be difficult. This was in 2003, not sure about the present scenario.

And yeah i should have mentioned the period in my previous post. Things might have changed now. But looking at what was available then or now i am still being highly optimistic.

It would be great to know if anyone here managed to buy a totally build engine from RE ever? Like, ask-pay up-and-get one just like that. No connections or blood relations to RE.

PS: Hope folks get the humour in my post.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd November 2008 at 16:49.
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:06   #15
BHPian

The conversion can be done and be a reliable setup if done by a competent enough mechanic.

The 5speed gearbox and the clutch assemble be mated with the 500 crank. A converted 500 5 speed would be faster than a stock 500 4 speed. I know of quite a few bikes in chennai who either a modded 5speed 500 or a converted one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks