Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 22:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Even iv faced something similar.

I get this faint pain in the right knee whenever i drive my cousin's Indigo but nothing happens when i drive our Vtec, Innova or Wagon R.

I guess it has something to do with the "angle/position" that your body is used to.

Try altering the angle of the handle bar, it might just work.

Shan2nu
Old 19th November 2008, 23:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

CTS/RSI etyadi it is. Talk to Recoup when you next go to blr.

PS: I have had quite similar symptoms. Result of excessive comp usage in my case.

Activity, some minimal exercise, less typing, may help. Did for me. PM offline if you wanna chat about the same. Recoup treatment helps. Know a friend who was banned from biking from life and had severe RSI (so severe he couldnt unscrew a bottle cap). Recoup helped.

Last edited by phamilyman : 19th November 2008 at 23:02.
Old 19th November 2008, 23:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Exact symptoms due to which I was forced to give up biking 6yrs ago. It's CTS in all probability. It was due to a combination of posture at the comp, excessive keyboard gaming and biking for me. It became pretty severe for me, to the extent that I was almost unable to type with my right hand. Every keystroke meant a shooting pain from fingertip to shoulder.
Got a car, took rest, stopped gaming had some Neurotop. I was better in 6 months. But the damage has been done. Even today, long stints at the comp gives me shoulder/arm pain. Touchpads have helped. Mouse aggravates, since the arm is a tad stretched.
Consult a doc asap.
Old 21st November 2008, 09:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. So, it is not as trivial as I thought it to be. Given what I have read about CTS, it deserves immediate attention.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I have a '95 HH-CD100 that I use quite regularly alongside my car. Though 13 years old, it still runs without any issues, with just regular oil changes and a service every year or so.

Due to some reasons, I have had to use the bike to commute to work (20kms one-way) for the past few months and it is when I noticed this strange problem. Around half-way into my commute, my right hand wrist and fingers seem to pain and feel numb. When this happens, I take my right hand off the handlebar and fold/flex the fingers, which makes it OK for the next few kms, after which the same numbness re-appears.

The left wrist/fingers have no such issue - maybe because while biking we use the right hand more - accelerate, braking etc.

Anyone else has had the same problem ? And any idea why this happens and what is the solution ? One reason I see is the handlebar alignment being wrong or handlebar being bent - the bike had a serious accident many years ago.

Would appreciate inputs from bikers on the forum. Thanks.

P.S.: A search did not yield any relevant threads. Hence a new thread.
SB: Even i have a similar problem. But i had a fracture in my right writs 7 years ago. Like everyone said, try to change/lubricate the accelerator cable and change the right accelerator grip too!

cheers
Old 21st November 2008, 11:31   #21
BHPian

Been living with numbe hands for a decade. Did all the battery of (painful) tests for CTS , but it wasn't CTS. My issue is a pinched nerve in the neck. Not serious enough to demand surgery.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Apart from CTS, it could also be Spondylitis. Please consult a ortho immediately, easy to treat at early stages.

Gawd , this is becoming a medical thread in the bike section.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 21st November 2008 at 12:23.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:38   #23
BHPian

SB, It could be RSI. I can relate to this issue as I had and am living with the same. Numbness on the finger is not a good sign and it would be a good idea if you meet an Ortho. As someone has put, it is something similar to Spondylitis, but may not be exactly the same. My case is called 'Radiculopathy' and I still have numbness on my right hand thumb and inner areas of the wrist. No problems on the left hand.

It may not be affecting your day-to-day activities, but will recur as a trouble occassionally. So it is wise to follow-up and find a possible solution.

Take care.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 21st November 2008 at 12:42.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Apart from CTS, it could also be Spondylitis. Please consult a ortho immediately, easy to treat at early stages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Been living with numbe hands for a decade. Did all the battery of (painful) tests for CTS , but it wasn't CTS. My issue is a pinched nerve in the neck. Not serious enough to demand surgery.
I fully agree with esteem lover and prabhuav.
I am also facing the similar problems for last 12-15 years, while riding a two wheeler and have gone through a lot of tests incl CTS where they even suggested surgery of the wrist (which I avoided four years ago) and have now come to the conclusion that it is basically due to spondylitis, which is the main reason for the ailment. Sometimes its severe in one hand and at other times in both but I myself think that it could be some nerves in the neck being responsible and have learnt to live with it and continue riding my two wheeler (as I can't do without it!) although it is like torture to ride through the city's crazy traffic with hands that do not co-operate and have practically no sensation after riding a few kms.
I do not know what is next for me, but until I have a good will power and have some response from the palm and the wrists, I shall continue my daily rides with a strong mind rather than falling prey to all these surgeries and medication for which we are not given any guarantee and are unsure of the final result.

Last edited by President : 21st November 2008 at 12:48.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:45   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Gawd , this is becoming a medical thread in the bike section.
+1 to that.

For all you know, some very simple stretching exercises may be prescribed.
5 Mins a day and a lot of comfort.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
+1 to that.

For all you know, some very simple stretching exercises may be prescribed.
5 Mins a day and a lot of comfort.
I too have spondylitis, and it started a few years ago with numbness on my left hand while driving a scooter.
I've managed to live with it, though my IT job aggravates it. Exercises for 5 mins in the morning and also in the evening bring immense releif.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks