Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 21:58   #1
BHPian

The History of Royal Enfield

I shared this article in my blog with my readers and thought I can share it with T-bhpians too! - Deepak

The History of Royal Enfield

Royal Enfield did not just manufacture motorcycles; indeed the English engineering company portrayed a strong lineage of necessity beyond boundaries of ordinary realms. Yes! Driven by sheer necessity and manufactured with the state-of-the-art engineering capabilities, Enfield was initially associated with military requirements. In its earlier days, the company built lawnmowers, bicycles and even rifle parts for some Arms Factory. The company’s motto of “Made like a Gun and goes like a Bullet” reflects Enfield’s strong involvement with the military needs.

Spanning over three centuries the company is in the path of making its impact felt in even now in this new millennium. Lets sift through the Enfield’s landmark achievements since it raced against cars and fought the wars.
  • 1898: Produced first motorized vehicle equipped with a 2.75hp De Dion-Bouton engine. Today, this motorized vehicle is known by the name Quad.
  • 1901: launched a bicycle that’s fitted with a 150cc engine on the front wheel.
  • 1902: improved vehicle with a 239cc Enfield engine mounted over the front wheel of the bicycle.
  • 1907: produced an all-day automobile with company name as All days & onions. However, the vehicle manufactured was there in production until 1925, popularly referred as All day Automobiles with the word onion dropped.
  • 1910: launched V-twins type, a Motosacoche 344 cc engine.
  • 1915: during the World War I, Enfield needed to manufacture motorcycles that would be equipped to carry machine guns with stretcher-bearing capacity, on request of the British Armed Forces. It was during this time that the first small 2-stroke engine seen the light of the day.
  • 1917: Royal Enfield supplied machines to Russians as well. The phase saw a team of women police force riding the 600cc Royal Enfield bikes.
  • 1924-1930: the phase of WWI and the aftermath did not affect the growth of sales of Royal Enfield. The company upgraded its engine and added features such as girder front forks, saddle tanks and center spring to give the bulls of Royal Enfield a more contemporary look. Further upgrading led to the launch of 488cc machine with a four-speed gearbox in the year 1927 and soon by 30s, Royal Enfield had thirteen featured models and the birth of famous Bullet cylinder took place during this phase.
  • 1939-1945: As the world again fought the bloodied wars, Royal Enfield rose to the occasion and supplied the countries with machines and motorcycles for military purposes. The model 125cc Flying Flea became quite popular, and was referred as Airborne, because of its capacity of being dropped by a parachute. War instruments were also manufactured by Royal Enfield during this period.
  • 1950s: Enfield India began manufacturing machines with parts being brought from Britain.
  • 1962: Enfield India began producing complete motorcycles indigenously while it retained all essential traditions from Enfield.
  • 1965-Until Now: Shifting of production from Redditch England to Chennai plant in India.
The name Royal Enfield lived on with its full life, as Indian bought the denomination rights. However, in the year 1986, Raja Narayan, a civil servant from Britain created an Export arm for Royal Enfield India, and as of now, it’s the most famous model Bullet that is being marketed in Britain.
Thus, Royal Enfield claims to be the “world’s oldest motorcycle” still striving to stride well in the global as well as Indian market nevertheless been enticing Enfield enthusiasts but more importantly has become a benchmark standard for other bike manufacturers and still dedicating to the biking in the truest sense!
Karizma Fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2008, 03:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

that most of em knows .Tell us about the quality standard and Is there any difference in quality after Eicher Bought RE from madras motor company ?
Old 21st November 2008, 05:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
that most of em knows .Tell us about the quality standard and Is there any difference in quality after Eicher Bought RE from madras motor company ?
thats funny but beleive me KARIZMA it seems that this is a article rite off the internet so please do post up a link to that page.

thanks for the info anyways.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
thats funny but beleive me KARIZMA it seems that this is a article rite off the internet so please do post up a link to that page.

thanks for the info anyways.
Ok Desdeep, here is the link - The History of Royal Enfield | BikeAdvice.in
Karizma Fan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:45   #5
BHPian

royal enfield flying flea exhaust wanted

i am looking for military royal enfield flying flea exhaust complete any leads will be appreciated.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:08   #6
BHPian

In the sixties RE brought out a 250cc continental GT. It had all the extras a boy racer wanted,clip-ons,swept back exhaust, 5 speed box, turbo disc (a cooler for the front brakes) and fly screen and a huge gear box breather pipe. It was the most popular lightweight and very sought after, just the mention of RE conjured up images of the GT
Old 5th March 2010, 20:31   #7
BHPian

What are the AVL engines introduced by RE?
Old 10th March 2010, 12:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
What are the AVL engines introduced by RE?
AVL is an Austrian Precision Engineering Company which now providing all aluminium engines for enfields (instead of the old cast iron ones). the new engines meet the newer stricter emission norms. Shortly, the old engines will be phased out.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok_balsekar View Post
AVL is an Austrian Precision Engineering Company which now providing all aluminium engines for enfields (instead of the old cast iron ones). the new engines meet the newer stricter emission norms. Shortly, the old engines will be phased out.
Thank You alok
Please tell the full form of AVL. A= V= L=
Old 10th March 2010, 20:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Thank You alok
Please tell the full form of AVL. A= V= L=
Hey, I am not sure if this will help but AVL is the name of the Company from Austria who designed the engine for RE bikes.

AVL is the world's largest privately owned company for development, simulation and testing technology of powertrains (hybrid, combustion engines, transmission, electric drive, batteries and software) for passenger cars, trucks and large engines.

Source :- AVL - AVL List GmbH

Last edited by mantrig : 10th March 2010 at 20:46.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:24   #11
BHPian

Inside the factory video..

source : Royal Indians - Enfield Owners Club
Old 26th May 2010, 11:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hey, I am not sure if this will help but AVL is the name of the Company from Austria who designed the engine for RE bikes.
AFAIK, even the scorpio as well as the safari's latest engines were designed by AVL, Austria.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

A little

Has anyone seen a video documentary of the Royal Enfield - on any channels or anywhere? I love watching "Mega Factories" and other programs like that about cars and bikes. I also loved watching the show on Ducati and Yamaha on Discovery Turbo recently. I've been looking to see if there is an "official" documentary like this anywhere. Would love to see this aired on some of these channels. One of the longest production bikes but no documentary?
Old 12th November 2011, 23:41   #14
BHPian

Re: The History of Royal Enfield

Have been a proud owner of a RE Std 1989 model and to add to this thread there are the following points:

Mostly unchanged lookwise, the bike has a legacy. Calling it as our own harley sort of club bullet would be a major understatement. Bullet is truly a Bullet.

The bike did have a lot of changes though, the best engine yet is the UCE which is the most refined of all the bikes engines produced till date (technically speaking). But the cast iron ones had their own charm. And its this engine which made bullet a legend. The sheer thump of the engine made it popular amongst the "Men". Upto one point it was thought that only a hardcore macho could ride this bike but frankly its not that hard to ride a bullet. Infact its an art. Riding a bullet is an art. No one can drive the bike... one can only ride the bike. The most thrilling part about old bullets was it was always an unsure thing that how will the bike behave on the next corner. And that feel keeps the thrill going on and on for years.

My first bike - Yamaha Ybx - Then, was wondering how do i better my driving.

My second bike - Enfield 350 - Then, was wondering what modifications can i do to make it look unique. (Succeeded doing 3 different looks in 10 years span) with still hunger for more. To my regret to this day i feel why did i ever sell my beloved bike..... why didn't i source money from somewhere else to repay a debt.

My third bike - Yamaha Rx 135 - Am wondering where do i buy parts from - Locals are drooling to con, dealers are drooling to con, factory workshops are wondering.... what parts is he talking about??

I promised myself to buy a bullet not when i should but whenever i CAN.

Last edited by The Great : 12th November 2011 at 23:48.
Old 16th November 2011, 07:34   #15
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: The History of Royal Enfield

A copy paste from another internet article on the Royal Enfield Interceptor. Little known fact about how the company came into existance. But then again, this is taken from an american website.

"It’s a common misconception that Royal Enfield made guns as well as motorcycles, including the Lee-Enfield rifle. It’s a reasonable assumption, given the company’s “made like a gun” slogan.

Many also suppose the company earned its regal prefix by supplying cycles to sovereigns. Neither is correct — though they make for a good story. Royal Enfield got its trademark through good old-fashioned snake-oil salesmanship, and the salesman in question was one Albert Eadie. In 1890, he purchased George Townsend and Co., near Redditch, Worcestershire, in England’s “Black Country.”

Originally a manufacturer of sewing needles, Townsend had turned to making bicycle parts and supplanted its income with sub-contract work, including making gun parts for the Royal Ordnance Factory in Enfield, Middlesex. Eadie appropriated “Royal” and “Enfield” to create the company’s brand name.

Royal Enfield created its first powered vehicles in 1896, but made its name with innovative motorcycles during the Teens and Twenties. It was among the first to develop a fully-circulating automatic oiling system using a separate tank for engine oil. During the depression, Enfield survived by selling inexpensive commuter machines, including a sturdy 225cc two-stroke, and side-valve V-twins for sidecar use. And through WWII, the company’s model C 350cc side-valve single fought alongside better-known bikes from Norton and BSA.

But perhaps the model most often identified with the company is the Bullet. Introduced in 1948, the Bullet, little changed, is still built today in Chennai, India — a production run of 60 years!"

1968 Royal Enfield Interceptor: England' s Forgotten Twin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks