Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 23:06   #1
BHPian

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!

I've just covered 1,200 kms in my new Machismo Lb 500. (Bought it in the 1st of this month). And I simply love it. Ummm, most things of it.. The
In-gear acceleration is really surprising for a Bullet!

Initially i had a tough time choosing between the 500 and the Electra 5s. I've always been so in love with the original Cast iron engine, the thump, the legacy, the whole romance...but considering the kinda terrain that i live in, U just can't argue with 40 NM of torque..

So I went in headlong for the 500, even though i just couldn't digest the AVL clatter. I still look longingly every time a well tuned Cast Iron Bull thudds by slowly but whatever misgivings i have, are brushed aside by simply wringing the throttle on my new toy. Boy, this one really flies. Kinda reminds me of the RD- below 60kmph, it feels rough and the gears don't engage and it jerks & hiccups but after u cross 60, it's just so smooth and precise and just keeps on pulling an pulling!

Here are a few initial pics- Since then, I've removed the sideboxes- ordered better quality Studds ones, changed the front crashguard and adjusted the angle of the rear carrier as well as installed the thunderbird kinda rear backrest for the wifee's comfort. Will add more pics after I'm through with the modifications and additions-

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-bull-front-view-2.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-strike-pose.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-boy-wonder-mechanic-during-1st-servicing.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-camera-pics-128.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-bull-500-my-baleno.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-bull-standing-next-my-dream-machine.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-camera-pics-065.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-camera-pics-049.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-bull-next-my-dream-2.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-17112008006.jpg

Had a number of queries but surprisingly, there's very little info about this bike in this as well as other forums :-(

Here's a few doubts/ Queries. Please help me if u guys can-

1) Pulse Air Valve-

The moment i close the throttle going down hill, there's a distinct clatter (Yes, a different & more prominent clatter than the regular AVL engine noise) The mechanic tells me that it is cause of the Pulse Air valve and he'll disconnect the whole shebang after 1,500kms. Is it advisable?
Do i need to worry about the bike overheating after i disconnect the Air valve or is it just for emission norms? Will the extra clatter go away after the Air valve is disconnected?

2) Silencer-

For better "thump". am on the verge of going in for a regular short bottle free flow silencer (Like in the standard 350). Should i instead go in for the Electra's Glass Wool filled Silencer and adjust the thump by removing portions of the glass Wool inside? For best results, do i need to change the bend pipe too? Many people in the RE website forum seem to think so.

Again my mechanic tells me that there is some sort of glass wool kinda obstruction in the regular 500's bendpipe and he'll remove it too. Should i leave the bendpipe alone and just change the "Dholki'? Which one? Please advise.

3) K&N air Filter-

Will there be an appreciable difference in power if i install a K&N air filter along with the short bottle silencer? Which particular K&N?

What if I don't touch the carburettor and the jets and just do the filter & silencer? Will I still get any additional power/ torque/ acceleration? I don't trust the mechanics here enough to fiddle with jetting. Plus, I'm told with the VM carburettor, it's difficult to increase power through upsizing the jets.

4) Headlight & Foglights-

I'd like to install more powerful white light bulbs in the headlight. The standard 45/ 40 watts bulb seem insufficient after the 100/ 90 Philips Powervision I had installed in my ex Zma-R. Wanted something similar but the base (round skirt thinggy which fits on the dome) of the bulb is bigger than the regular ones and here I can't find anything better in this design. Where can i get good 100/ 90 halogens (White light) or something similar in this shape? What about the pilot lights?

Am also considering installing small, powerful foglights in the crashbar. should i connect it directly to the battery? Any advise on which will suit the bull?

5) Front Fairing-

I wanted to fit the small fairing that came with the original Cast Iron 500 initially. Not the big RD fairing but the smaller and sleeker one that the Police Bullets at Kolkatta still use. Where can i procure it? I think it's made by Studds but it isn't listed in their site. Where do the police guys get them from coz many of them are brand new as i saw last time at Kolkata.Will they be available at the RE dealership at the bigger metros?

6) Ribbed to Regular-

Is it advisable to put in regular Nylogrip tyres in the front instead of the ribbed design for better wet weather grip? What about Dunlop tyres in the same 3.50-19 size? They appear to have better grip than the OE MRF ones.

I'm also told they don't last long so my conclusion is> less life= more tyre wear= softer compound= better grip= Desirable.. Am I right on this? What other options do i have. Don't wanna go too big like the 120/80 19 Monster/ Geo Cruiser.

7) Mirrors-

Where can i get bigger ROUND rearview mirrors to fit the current holders. Am not interested in the square Eliminator ones.

8) Black Front Mudguard-

If i manage to get a black front fairing, I really wanted to change the color of my front mudguard from chrome to black. It looks more classy. I want to retain the size, just change the color. Now the standard 350's front mudguard is of the older design and has these three clamp-patti system. to put that i'd have to change the front suspension too for the older ones with the clamp holder attached to it. And the 500 type of front mudguard don't come in black.

I am told by the local painters here that the only solution is I'd have to firstly take my OE mudguard to the Buffing/chroming shop to destroy the original chrome. Then get it sandpapered and then get it painted. Seems a pity to do that. Any suggestions, guys?

9) Clatter, clatter, clatter- I know the answer from most will be, "U just live with it." but somebody might have some idea. How do i get rid of most of the AVL mechanical clatter?

Phew, that's all of the queries- for the present. Please advise fellows. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a ton and safe riding,

Puffy.
Old 21st November 2008, 23:31   #2
BHPian

A few more pics-

Few more pics of my 500 at home and on a 250 kms trip. The last pic is of my wife looking dead tired at the end of our day's journey.

In the earlier pic, the young guy opening up my bike is the mechanic at the RE dealership here. He's pretty good and confident.

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-01112008001.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-06112008002.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-17112008005.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-camera-pics-030.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-wifee-looking-tired-after-230kms-round-trip.jpg

Just for kicks, I've uploaded pics of my one year old Zma-R too. Sold that for 53 grands with just 4,000 kms on the clock and performing flawlessly too. Felt really sad to see it go but look at my 100+ kg bulk, and my amply padded posterior, I guess u'll understand why the ZmaR didn't suit me and i had to go back to being a bulleteer!!!

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-camera-pics-003.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-my-camera-pics-005.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-zma-1.jpg

No replacement for displacement - Presenting my new Lb 500!!-zma-4.jpg
Old 21st November 2008, 23:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

My replies are in bold. Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
1) Pulse Air Valve-

The moment i close the throttle going down hill, there's a distinct clatter (Yes, a different & more prominent clatter than the regular AVL engine noise) The mechanic tells me that it is cause of the Pulse Air valve and he'll disconnect the whole shebang after 1,500kms. Is it advisable?
Do i need to worry about the bike overheating after i disconnect the Air valve or is it just for emission norms? Will the extra clatter go away after the Air valve is disconnected?

It's for cleaning up of emissions. Unburnt hydrocarbons are burnt inside the exhaust header. You can remove it and the engine will sound nicer especially when you are coasting with closed throttle. Remove the entire thing and shut the feed hole in the head, don't just put a ball bearing.

Not good for the air we breath though.

2) Silencer-

For better "thump". am on the verge of going in for a regular short bottle free flow silencer (Like in the standard 350). Should i instead go in for the Electra's Glass Wool filled Silencer and adjust the thump by removing portions of the glass Wool inside? For best results, do i need to change the bend pipe too? Many people in the RE website forum seem to think so.

The hot tube cat con can be removed from inside the stock header pipe as it's almost at the end of the header pipe. You have to grind off the weld spots that hold the cat con to remove it.

Opt for a short bottle, i like the electra's glasswool type than the original short bottle silencer. Also think about getting a goldstar replica pipe installed.

Again my mechanic tells me that there is some sort of glass wool kinda obstruction in the regular 500's bendpipe and he'll remove it too. Should i leave the bendpipe alone and just change the "Dholki'? Which one? Please advise.

There's no glass wool anywhere in the bend pipe. It just have that cat con as i mentioned above.

3) K&N air Filter-

Will there be an appreciable difference in power if i install a K&N air filter along with the short bottle silencer? Which particular K&N?

Yes if you upjet after the airfilter. You can go for R1060 it's a direct fit on the carb mouth.

What if I don't touch the carburettor and the jets and just do the filter & silencer? Will I still get any additional power/ torque/ acceleration? I don't trust the mechanics here enough to fiddle with jetting. Plus, I'm told with the VM carburettor, it's difficult to increase power through upsizing the jets.

Engine will over heat, which is not good and you will probably get more mileage because you wil be running lean. VM carbs are easy to tune and will yield good results.

I'd like to install more powerful white light bulbs in the headlight. The standard 45/ 40 watts bulb seem insufficient after the 100/ 90 Philips Powervision I had installed in my ex Zma-R. Wanted something similar but the base (round skirt thinggy which fits on the dome) of the bulb is bigger than the regular ones and here I can't find anything better in this design. Where can i get good 100/ 90 halogens (White light) or something similar in this shape? What about the pilot lights?

Try installing Phillips Xtreme power 55/60 bulbs they are good. 100/90 will not be supported unless you rewind the coil and make necessary changes.

Am also considering installing small, powerful foglights in the crashbar. should i connect it directly to the battery? Any advise on which will suit the bull?

5) Front Fairing-

I wanted to fit the small fairing that came with the original Cast Iron 500 initially. Not the big RD fairing but the smaller and sleeker one that the Police Bullets at Kolkatta still use. Where can i procure it? I think it's made by Studds but it isn't listed in their site. Where do the police guys get them from coz many of them are brand new as i saw last time at Kolkata.Will they be available at the RE dealership at the bigger metros?

6) Ribbed to Regular-

Is it advisable to put in regular Nylogrip tyres in the front instead of the ribbed design for better wet weather grip? What about Dunlop tyres in the same 3.50-19 size? They appear to have better grip than the OE MRF ones.

I'm also told they don't last long so my conclusion is> less life= more tyre wear= softer compound= better grip= Desirable.. Am I right on this? What other options do i have. Don't wanna go too big like the 120/80 19 Monster/ Geo Cruiser.

7) Mirrors-

Where can i get bigger ROUND rearview mirrors to fit the current holders. Am not interested in the square Eliminator ones.

8) Black Front Mudguard-

If i manage to get a black front fairing, I really wanted to change the color of my front mudguard from chrome to black. It looks more classy. I want to retain the size, just change the color. Now the standard 350's front mudguard is of the older design and has these three clamp-patti system. to put that i'd have to change the front suspension too for the older ones with the clamp holder attached to it. And the 500 type of front mudguard don't come in black.

I am told by the local painters here that the only solution is I'd have to firstly take my OE mudguard to the Buffing/chroming shop to destroy the original chrome. Then get it sandpapered and then get it painted. Seems a pity to do that. Any suggestions, guys?

Buy a local made mudguard and get that painted. Will be a lot cheaper than destroying the original mudguard.

9) Clatter, clatter, clatter- I know the answer from most will be, "U just live with it." but somebody might have some idea. How do i get rid of most of the AVL mechanical clatter?

Phew, that's all of the queries- for the present. Please advise fellows. I'd really appreciate it.

Puffy.
Old 22nd November 2008, 00:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

That is a great ride to own, especially if you're into touring. Have ridden one of the old cast iron block examples log ago on a coule of occasions, and it had that perfect thump et all that.
It felt so much more mature, powerful and heavenly compared to the single pots we had around. I would be scared everytime i would kickstart, the return was extremely hard sometimes.

manson.
Old 22nd November 2008, 00:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

First of all congrats for one of the most beautiful and powerful machine in the indian market.most probably its my next ride(my replies in Bold).
Quote:
Had a number of queries but surprisingly, there's very little info about this bike in this as well as other forums :-(

Here's a few doubts/ Queries. Please help me if u guys can-

1) Pulse Air Valve-

I would suggest to keep it.
Although my mech also recommends removing it,although i dont find any solid reasons behind this.

2) Silencer-

Do not fiddle around with bend pipe,if you really need that thump just change the Muffler.

3) K&N air Filter-

Your bike comes with a BS29 carb,so make sure you have proper upsize jets before you add the filter.Although I would recommend changing the carb to a slide one,I have ridden a LB with a VM32 and a VM34 as well,and they were really powerful much better than stock carb with a filter.

RE's have one of the best headlights with amazing light spread( the old one's were better I guess).Try and change the bulb to 60/55 and see the results.
foglights directly through battery might put an additional load.try other options may be like a H3 HID set up.

5) Front Fairing-

Not sure which fairing you are referring to,one thing comes in my mind is the RD one only.

6) Ribbed to Regular-

Front tyre is 3.25X19 I recently changed from Ribbed pattern to the regular rear tyre pattern,though its good on bad roads but I dont like the way it handles on corners.

7) Mirrors-

Try any accesories shop around may be in KB delhi

8) Black Front Mudguard-

I think you can use STD 350 mudguard

Add ear plugs on a serious note you will have to live with it.

Puffy.
Old 22nd November 2008, 05:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
1) Pulse Air Valve-

It's for cleaning up of emissions. get rid of it bellive me it would not really make much difference to this dirty world
i would not like to add much but what SANKAR said is correct

2) Silencer-

Remove the cat con from the BEND PIPE. if you still dont like the thump get rid of the glass wool. if still you dont like it opt for a short bottle, donot go for the free flow one just go for the normal short bottel

3) K&N air Filter-

You can go for the one that fits directly into the airbox though i am not sure of the model number do remember to upjet.

above said should help trying a HID would be great

5) Front Fairing-
You can buy them from the accesories shops though the Studds is not there no more but you can buy the DESI verison

6) Ribbed to Regular-

Ribbed are real good IMO. i have done a little bit of leaning on them they feel planted and also scraped the Crash guard :P (Cause the crash gurd was lower than my foot pegs). but i would not be sure how they react on the DISK Brake cause i have not seen many people using the RIBBED on the diskbrake setups apart from Bullets may be not many options for the front are there.

7) Mirrors-

Ample options are there in the market. OEM accesories from the RE and the have some real nice RVM the round ones.

8) Black Front Mudguard-

Adding a local mudguard is a good option but the what exactly are you going to save the original for? IMO the Local Mudguards would not be able to match the build quality of the OEM and then if you get a STD Mudguard you would need to alter the Fork bottels to mount it on. so get the crome removed and get it painted.

9) Clatter, clatter, clatter- I know the answer from most will be, "U just live with it."

Hmm.. ("U just live with it.") i like this. but a friend of mine used to USE nulon that helped him a lot. but make sure i have heard using the nulon on new engines may also lead to breaking it. i would not be able to confirm that

Phew,
thats was along one..

thanks
DESI D
Old 22nd November 2008, 13:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Pulse Air Valve-

I would suggest to keep it.
Although my mech also recommends removing it,although i dont find any solid reasons behind this.

Removal of pulse air valve saves your exhaust valve and seat from a lot of heat.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:02   #8
BHPian

Thanks Sankar, DesiDeep, Manson & Akshay for taking the trouble to reply. Do appreciate it.

I like this bike a lot but my dream will always be of owning two distinct machines together- The Classic Standard Cast Iron Bullet 500 with 4 gears, Cb points and the lazy thump along with a well re-conditioned Maniac RD. One for touring & looking cool and the other for early morning/ late night blasts to wet my pants.

I've been talking to Sumit at Delhi for doing up a good RD- LT for me. He's willing but it'll cost me quite a packet!! Perhaps soon...

Until then this one serves a quite a bit bit of both purposes. But the Bullet Machismo, esp. the 500 seems a bit confused about it's identity- it's neither as good a relaxed cruiser & a cool "personality' bike as a Cast Iron 500, nor is it as good at zipping around and blasting corners as say, a Zma or an RD.

This bike is really good but owning the distinct twins would be better. Started saving already....
Old 23rd November 2008, 15:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sankar, DesiDeep, Manson & Akshay for taking the trouble to reply. Do appreciate it.

I like this bike a lot but my dream will always be of owning two distinct machines together- The Classic Standard Cast Iron Bullet 500 with 4 gears, Cb points and the lazy thump along with a well re-conditioned Maniac RD. One for touring & looking cool and the other for early morning/ late night blasts to wet my pants.

I've been talking to Sumit at Delhi for doing up a good RD- LT for me. He's willing but it'll cost me quite a packet!! Perhaps soon...

Until then this one serves a quite a bit bit of both purposes. But the Bullet Machismo, esp. the 500 seems a bit confused about it's identity- it's neither as good a relaxed cruiser & a cool "personality' bike as a Cast Iron 500, nor is it as good at zipping around and blasting corners as say, a Zma or an RD.

This bike is really good but owning the distinct twins would be better. Started saving already....
I remember you posting about your desperate search for a brand new CI 500 in a motorcyle forum. Am glad you put your confusion behind you and went ahead with your heart.

Being a CI 500 owner, let me tell you, your choice was a more practical one. I agree AVLs will never have CI character but the hassles that come along with the latter require more than just patience. Im sure you must be putting that tremendous torque to right use. Its an amazing highway bike too... an overall winner! So dont worry and enjoy the sense of power, in style !
Old 23rd November 2008, 17:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

with CI 500s or AVL500s in west ,where they constantly ride at 80-90 to 100kmph ,the Engine will have a maximum of 20000kms according to some experts in bulletech group.
--
Few questions and I need confirmation:
The Piston shape is different in 500cc models when compared to 350cc models? 500cc got a "T" like pistons?The failure rate of 500cc engine seizure is very high owing to the oil pump and valves?
and @dragon:what about cam gear backlash sound?I heard the new AVLs comes with adjustable cam spindle to fix this problem.there is a thread started by me on the same subject in this section.
and I weigh 108kgs @puffdamgcdragon ! and believe me Bullet 350cc(electra 4S) is very comfortable to me ,who once had a p180 .
--
@dragon: if you can experiment ,you can do some lathe work and put CI cylinder+piston set(import?) on your avl machine.one guy here does that to his machismo 350cc and it runs perfectly fine and ofcourse ,good thump.but this transplantation is discourage may be due to the lack of experts who can comfortably do the work.

Last edited by deepclutch : 23rd November 2008 at 17:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks