Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 21:25   #1
BHPian

Question on exhaust set up on Indian bikes

First off, mods - could you please merge this with the previous "Has anyone fitted a 130 rear tire on a Hero Honda?" thread? I went there to edit the title, but it doesn't show an option for me to edit my post.

Here's my question: My Beemer and pretty much every mosicle I have worked on (includes Ninjas, Triumphs and some Italians) has a 3 piece exhaust set up. Header pipe, mid pipe (usually three quarter inch diameter or 1 inch in some cases) and the exhaust cannister. This allows flexibility in mixing and matching and easy removal of any of the pieces. I noticed on the Karizma that its all welded together as one whole piece ?!?! I mean, how the heck is one supposed to trouble shoot anything if I have to cut it open and weld it back??

I am actually trouble shooting a rather loud whispering/whistling noise from the exhaust while decelerating or letting go of throttle. I took off the heat shield to make sure its not a vibration related issue and its not. I can't go any further because the damn thing is fused as one piece.
  1. Has anyone seen this noise issue before?
  2. Do Indian bikes' exhausts have fiberglass muffler packing inside? Sometimes, the mufflers just need to be repacked.
  3. Do Indian bikes' exhausts have removable baffles inside? Sometimes, the baffles rattle lose causing clanging and other noises. They may need to be refitted with some antisieze.
  4. Is there any way to take apart the exhaust without cutting/welding? The techs at the local dealership aren't too bright. They are saying the exhaust is a use and throw set up and a new one is ~6k rupees. I find this hard to believe in a country like India where nearly everything can be fixed.
As always, your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11th December 2008, 15:00   #2
BHPian

Why don't you put up a video,then maybe our bike guru's can help you out.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

2. Yes
3. No
4. No

Old 11th December 2008, 16:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa;1087756I noticed on the Karizma that its all welded together as one whole piece ?!?! I mean, how the heck is one supposed to trouble shoot anything if I have to cut it open and weld it back??

[B
That's the only way buddy. Sad it is. Economies of Production.[/b]

I am actually trouble shooting a rather loud whispering/whistling noise from the exhaust while decelerating or letting go of throttle. I took off the heat shield to make sure its not a vibration related issue and its not. I can't go any further because the damn thing is fused as one piece.
  1. Has anyone seen this noise issue before?
  2. Do Indian bikes' exhausts have fiberglass muffler packing inside? Sometimes, the mufflers just need to be repacked.
Some bikes do like the Pulsars. In the case of Karizma i think it's al baffles inside and no glass pack.

Do Indian bikes' exhausts have removable baffles inside? Sometimes, the baffles rattle lose causing clanging and other noises. They may need to be refitted with some antisieze.

No.

Is there any way to take apart the exhaust without cutting/welding?

Not any that i know of. You can take out the golden shall. That's all.

The techs at the local dealership aren't too bright. They are saying the exhaust is a use and throw set up and a new one is ~6k rupees. I find this hard to believe in a country like India where nearly everything can be fixed.As always, your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Probably no one would ever replace the muffler in the lifetime of their vehicles unless it's beyond use.
Btw is that hissing noise only heard while decelarating? Did you check the pulse air pump? Intake side everything okay?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks