Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:34   #1
BHPian

Which engine oil for TVS Fiero F2?

Hi,

Which is the engine oil would you suggest for TVS Fiero F2. Bike has run 47K kms and used only TVS engine oils when given for servicing. My bike has problem of engine oil leak! I'm considering Petronas 5000-4T Sprinta Full Synthetic Oil or MOTUL 5100 4T 15w40(semi-synthetic).
1. How are its performances.
2. Where can i get it in Bangalore.
3. What procedure should i opt for changing from mineral oil to semi or synthetic oil for bikes.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:04   #2
BHPian

If budget is not in consideration get castrol power 1 racing fully synthetic costs 800 odd a litre, the oil is really very good and engine revs are very smooth almost nearing 2k the oil has not lost its colour, my take this will last for another 3 to 3.5k.

if you are looking at a cheaper price option petronas 5000 4t synthetic is best i have not used it so can't comment on that.

Motul i have some bad impression on it my engine head started leaking, don't ask me the reason as myself don't know.

Even though Power 1 is expensive its worth the moolah spent.
Old 24th December 2008, 07:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

You can't really take advantage of an automotive based synthetic oil in a motorcycle engine because it is shared with the transmission. The shearing forces in the transmission typically destroy the lubrication properties of the oil in under 5000 km anyway. You are wasting money with a synthetic. A good mineral-based 20w50 is the way to go.

I have had success with Shell Rotella 15W40 diesel engine oil (which is also rated to API SM gasoiline engine standard) in my Bandit which is not too different to an F2 in terms of how hard it is on the oil (same RPM range, similar bore sizing, not liquid cooled). I found that the gearbox felt different after about 1500-1700 miles of running, so I used to change it every 1500 miles.

I dont know if you get Rotella 15W40 where you live but a diesel engine oil that is also rated to API SJ thru SM will work well in these engines.
Old 24th December 2008, 07:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
You can't really take advantage of an automotive based synthetic oil in a motorcycle engine because it is shared with the transmission. The shearing forces in the transmission typically destroy the lubrication properties of the oil in under 5000 km anyway. You are wasting money with a synthetic. A good mineral-based 20w50 is the way to go.

I have had success with Shell Rotella 15W40 diesel engine oil (which is also rated to API SM gasoiline engine standard) in my Bandit which is not too different to an F2 in terms of how hard it is on the oil (same RPM range, similar bore sizing, not liquid cooled). I found that the gearbox felt different after about 1500-1700 miles of running, so I used to change it every 1500 miles.

I dont know if you get Rotella 15W40 where you live but a diesel engine oil that is also rated to API SJ thru SM will work well in these engines.
Is Shell Rotella JASO MA approved.

Castrol and Motul 300V fully synthetic oils are meant for bikes with integrated gearbox.

I havent used used Castrol but can Vouch for Motul 300V its an Double ester based oil that keeps engine free of carbon deposits
even after 60K kms my zma is doin great on stock piston bore kit with Motul.
Old 25th December 2008, 02:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Is Shell Rotella JASO MA approved.

Castrol and Motul 300V fully synthetic oils are meant for bikes with integrated gearbox.

There is evidence that it is, in fact JASO MA approved, although the case does not bear that sticker. Search on any international sportbike forum, you will find the answer.

Paying Rs. 800 or more for an oil change seems scandalous to me, but maybe I'm old school. Doesn't make much economic sense at all, even if one assumed that it might give you a 50,000 km improvement in cylinder bore life (which of course is impossible).
Old 25th December 2008, 23:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Diesel oil which is also "S" rated is likely to be a good option. Diesel oils esp. have high detergent content.

Also, how about considering Veedol's Super Swift? Its 10W40 though. Not used it myself, but have heard good things about it. Take Off 4T is also an option.

And as far as I remember, Castrol Power 1 is labeled "Part Synthetic" by Castrol. When did it go fully synthetic? I'd never consider Power One though. Castrol does not see it fit even to write the SAE grading on its bottle!
Old 26th December 2008, 07:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
And as far as I remember, Castrol Power 1 is labeled "Part Synthetic" by Castrol. When did it go fully synthetic? I'd never consider Power One though. Castrol does not see it fit even to write the SAE grading on its bottle!
Power 1 is part synthetic. Power 1 Racing is full synthetic grade is 10W40. It hasn't been launched all over India, they have done only a phased launch and it's available in the metros, incl Blore.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Oh ok. But is it a pseudo synthetic (severely hydroprocessed) or true synth (PAO/Ester) based? I'd suspect Castrol to peddle a pseudo synth... I doubt they will even mention this on the pack. If its not mentioned, dont get fooled...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks