Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 16:23   #31
BHPian

No No! Not at all. The Saddle bags are simply brilliant. No question about that.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Saddle bags. Make it yourself.

Reopening a very long, probably lost, thread.

The option of having this type of saddle bag looks very economical. Also it will look good on my Amun-Ra.

But as these are army bags, can any one please advise that where are they available in Pune? Recently I brought Army Shoes from McAtee, are these bags available there?

Also some other questions :-

>What may be the approximate price of these bags?
>In long journeys, how effective are they from rains etc (if I keep things wrapped in Plastic bags, is it sufficient?)
>What may be the approximate capacity of these bags ? (35 litres or more)
> How to keep these bags fixed to one side? For the left side, I know that the saree guard is there for tying up etc. What about the right side? Is fixing Saree guard at the right hand side the only option? [Why I do not want to go for a saree guard on the right side, is because of the need to remove the rear tire if required]

Please advise if there are any other open points?

Best regards,
Old 4th February 2014, 15:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Reopening a very long, probably lost, thread.

The option of having this type of saddle bag looks very economical. Also it will look good on my Amun-Ra.

But as these are army bags, can any one please advise that where are they available in Pune? Recently I brought Army Shoes from McAtee, are these bags available there?

Also some other questions :-

>What may be the approximate price of these bags?
>In long journeys, how effective are they from rains etc (if I keep things wrapped in Plastic bags, is it sufficient?)
>What may be the approximate capacity of these bags ? (35 litres or more)
> How to keep these bags fixed to one side? For the left side, I know that the saree guard is there for tying up etc. What about the right side? Is fixing Saree guard at the right hand side the only option? [Why I do not want to go for a saree guard on the right side, is because of the need to remove the rear tire if required]

Please advise if there are any other open points?

Best regards,
While I do not have answers to all your questions, answering the two, highlighted in bold:

During rains the water will splash on to the bags. Hence even if you cover the front and the top, the back of the bag, which is in touch with the bike, will get soaked. It cannot be properly covered from the outside, as you have to tie it to the bike and hence either you tear holes in the water proofing cover or you leave the back uncovered (to allow for the tying bands to be fastened to the bike). Hence, best solution is to have a waterproof lining on the inside, within which you store your clothes etc. Simply put, the outer layer WILL get wet, even with a water proof cover.

For fixing the bags on the other side, you could use a bungee net, which goes from the side of the seat (Rear, top), down to the rear footrest and another corner ties into the back light or the rear mud guard bottom. Last and final corner ties into the backrest. This will keep the bag from coming in touch with the spokes and tyre.

Regards.

Last edited by Insearch : 4th February 2014 at 15:37. Reason: Spelling
Insearch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 13:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
... Simply put, the outer layer WILL get wet, even with a water proof cover.

For fixing the bags on the other side, you could use a bungee net, which goes from the side of the seat (Rear, top), down to the rear footrest and another corner ties into the back light or the rear mud guard bottom. Last and final corner ties into the backrest. This will keep the bag from coming in touch with the spokes and tyre.

Regards.
Thank you Insearch for your response.
One question that I got after picturising the solution that you have provided is:-
  • First of all you are trying to create a net like structure behind the bag (that is between the bag and the rear tire) so that the bag rests on it, firmly.
  • And then you will have to tie something across the bag (say from front left side to front right side) to prevent it from swings etc.
Is my understanding appropriate?

Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 14:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Thank you Insearch for your response.
One question that I got after picturising the solution that you have provided is:-
  • First of all you are trying to create a net like structure behind the bag (that is between the bag and the rear tire) so that the bag rests on it, firmly.
  • And then you will have to tie something across the bag (say from front left side to front right side) to prevent it from swings etc.
Is my understanding appropriate?

Best regards,
Apologies, if I lacked clarity. You are absolutely right on the first step. I recommended this because you are unwilling to put up a steel mesh/grill.

On your second question: The loops required are the ones that go from the rear side (Facing the tail light and not the inner side facing the wheel), around the rear bumper/back rest and tie into the other saddle bag.

look at the first snap in this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3144201

You have two loops: 1 which is at the back rest level. This one hold the bags in balance and restricts forward or side (drooping to one side) movements.
The second one runs over the rear mudguard and restricts outward and forward movements.

Along with the net, this should be good enough for a long journey.

Regards.

Last edited by Insearch : 5th February 2014 at 14:16.
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks