Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 00:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

No buddy , the lever inning , the grooves on the gear level using which it is mounted on the gear shifter mechanism, the inning had worn out after use. that's it. no internals had been changed. and ya the chain and sprockets where changed at around 50,000km. the smaller sprocket had worn, that was due the riding the bike like bat of hell.
Old 13th January 2009, 01:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hmm...

Chain and sprockets lasting till 50,000 on a bike ridden real hard seems good. I'v heard of chain/sprockets giving away in half the time, on new bikes. Probably not lubed well...
Old 13th January 2009, 10:59   #33
BANNED

50K?? amazing. I changed totally 3 chain sprocket kits over 45k kms i had the bike for.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

The chain tension is the key, usually this is over looked by the service guys and the lube job is not done properly. I use to lub the chain with Teflon based lubricate from wruth.The chain on my P180 has stretch so much in just 30,000 that there is no more adjustment left.
@Spitfire, 3 chains in 45000km, Man you where unlucky with the bike. Even if the chain is not taken care off it should last around 25-35k Kms. Where did you service your bike?
Old 13th January 2009, 15:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

What did you lube your chain with??

Edit: Ah, sorry you replied before I asked the question.

That spray from Wruth seems real good, if it made your chain last so long with hard ridiing. Did you clean the chan in some way before lubing?

I have been using Castrol CRB to lube my chains. Reason being that I get it in 1 lt bottle and the crankcase requires 900 ml. The remaining 100 ml serves to lube the chain and other oiling points like front brake and cluth levers, stand, etc., for quite sometime.

And its very true about chain tension. They just aren't bothered about such things. The only time this has been done right is when I stand in front and make them do it... or do it myself.

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th January 2009 at 15:56.
Old 24th January 2009, 13:49   #36
BHPian

Hey, Ma Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Actually, I want a 2t which leaves least carbon/ash deposits and I absolutely balk at giving my bikes to %$#@$ mechanics... the more I can avoid the better.
I am about to buy a Mobil 0W-40 for the engine and pbly a Shell 2T. Ever since the bike's re-build in Aug 2007, I have been using Castrol Active for 20w-40 and Castrol Jettx. Me not a fan of these either... but at least the best I can afford for.

Hey, I am concerned about our Environment too! and I also absolutely second your idea about giving the bike to "%$#@$ mechanics". But I have 1 guy. My friend. Whenever I find time I pick up the tools and start helping him. He's so genuine and very amicable. Taught me about the Mechs, and eventually became th sole inspiration to all I know, talk and do about the bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Why change the bearings btw??
It did sense to me that my bearings have gone rotten, until somebody made a point here. Even before I was about to check it out, the bike started alarming about its condition. So, I have to change them now!

And hey! Thanks for your reply, Dude!
Old 27th January 2009, 05:11   #37
BHPian

Front & Rear Shox

Hey Guys!

I'm back again for my galloping horse.
This time, it is the Shock Absorbers.

When I re-built the bike in Aug 2007, I went in for some duplicate stuff. The merchant in my home town, gave me no choice. And in parallel, I thought gas shox (like that of the Pulsars' and the Bullets') should do great deal while I am on long rides. Both... went for a toss!!!

The front shox, apparently showed up with scathed chrome, a big one and has made my riding a miserable thingy. The rear one is all squeeky and is like a hulk working on a sponge bob bike.

So... now! someone suggests that I go in for a genuine Suzuki Samurai front shox and a Koni (Koni for bikes?!) for the rear. Somebody else said they had an imported Yamaha YBX for the front - and that it was awesome on the Suzukis (Samurai and Shogun)

It was another merchant here in Pondichéry who suggests me Koni. Said I get one in Bangalore, at Lal Bagh. Just have to take the bike and check with the length. - [Need your opinion Docs!]

Again, just to re-iterate, I do long rides on this bike, alone... go to office all weekdays, on those ******* bumpy roads in Chennai. Chennai roads are not all bad. but the ones I take to office really are... my balls have been repeatedly hurt. :(

Awaiting all your blessings!
Old 30th January 2009, 11:32   #38
BANNED

For the rear you can go for Gabriel/Pulsar's rear gas shocks.

For the front, I'm ignorant !
Old 30th January 2009, 12:43   #39
BHPian

Hi benvsben,

The stock rear shock absorbers for the Samurai are Gabriels. You could alternatively go for Bajaj SNS shocks since they are almost the same length and provide good ride comfort.
The front forks are generally not replaced unless damaged beyond repair. You could go in for Fiero shocks as they have the same Outer Diameter as the Samurai's.
You could also consider a switch-over from stock drum brakes to the disc assembly from the Fiero as un upgrade.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvsben View Post
I am about to buy a Mobil 0W-40 for the engine and pbly a Shell 2T. Ever since the bike's re-build in Aug 2007, I have been using Castrol Active for 20w-40 and Castrol Jettx. Me not a fan of these either... but at least the best I can afford for.
After keeping the bike in hibernation for a while, trying to revive it. Any one remembers what is the minimum spec of engine oil for samurai?

thanks.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:23   #41
BHPian

You dont need a K&N for your Suzuki Samurai. It comes with an excellent sponge filter that functions way better than K&N.

What you can probably do to pep up the performance is to go for bigger jets for your carbs, port the inlet and the exhaust ports.

All these on a Suzuki Samurai would make a difference you would hardly notice. And at speeds above 90 km/h, a Samurai is outrageous and punishing. I think its better you stick to what you have. May be change the muffler to a "Suzuki Shogun's" muffler and enjoy your ride. I hope my suggestion helps.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:25   #42
BHPian

@ Sriturl the 2T oil for a Suzuki Samurai is 1 litre and the oil in the crank is 900ml (20W40)
Old 13th October 2009, 01:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
After keeping the bike in hibernation for a while, trying to revive it. Any one remembers what is the minimum spec of engine oil for samurai?

thanks.
If you mean transmission oil, then 900 ml 20W40 bike oil is required. You could try something good like Gulf, Valvoline, Elf, Motul.

If you are asking about 2t, technically you can use any 2t, but you will see different performances with different brands. Best are Motul 800 (for pre-mix only), Motul 510, Petronas. IIRC, tank capacity would be 1.3 lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
You dont need a K&N for your Suzuki Samurai. It comes with an excellent sponge filter that functions way better than K&N.

What you can probably do to pep up the performance is to go for bigger jets for your carbs, port the inlet and the exhaust ports.

All these on a Suzuki Samurai would make a difference you would hardly notice. And at speeds above 90 km/h, a Samurai is outrageous and punishing. I think its better you stick to what you have. May be change the muffler to a "Suzuki Shogun's" muffler and enjoy your ride. I hope my suggestion helps.
Right. The stock foam filter can be expected to have much better filtration than K&N. But flow will most likely be better with K&N... but then its most unlikely that you will experience any improvement in performance.

Stock is safest. Just make sure the foam filter is cleaned properly at recommended intervals and lightly soaked in 2t oil.

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th October 2009 at 01:05.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:35   #44
BHPian

I second that Racoon. I had a Suzuki Samurai from 1994 - 2001 Exchanged it for a Shogun. Its recommended to leave these machines as it is. And for the samurai, you could change the "TVS 50ish" exhaust to a shogun's exhaust as I mentioned earlier.
Old 16th October 2009, 17:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
@ Sriturl the 2T oil for a Suzuki Samurai is 1 litre and the oil in the crank is 900ml (20W40)
Thanks Ron!
@ Sriturl - Try to go for the same brand of the oil for your engine as well as your side oil sump.

I am currently using Mobil 0W-40 for the Engine and Castrol JettX. Will be soon venturing out with Shell 2T instead of the former.

Quote:
I second that Racoon. I had a Suzuki Samurai from 1994 - 2001 Exchanged it for a Shogun. Its recommended to leave these machines as it is. And for the samurai, you could change the "TVS 50ish" exhaust to a shogun's exhaust as I mentioned earlier.
Hey Ron!
Where can I get a Suzuki Shogun Exhaust? I am from Chennai? I tried Pudupet, which is like the buffet of auto spares old, new, cheap, stolen, whatever... but... nay... not one...

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th October 2009 at 18:03. Reason: Back to back posts, use multi quote please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks