Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 11:38   #1
BHPian

Need advice from fellow Tbhpians

Hi guys its rio here looking for an advice from you all

I am having two bikes in my gagage one is Suzuki samurai - my first bike brought new @ 2000. still in mint condition and my younger brother using it and other one is Pulsar 150 Dtsi brought new @ 2005.
i am living in dubai and once in a year for a month i visit india on vacation.
i am a very big fan of RD 350 and i want to own one.
but i am very sure that dad will not allow me to buy one when i m having 2 bikes already in garage.
i m planning to visit india in this march and i m totaly confused.
whether i sell both of them and get a RD 350 or restore my first bike (samurai).

Guys please help me out with your experiences and knowledge about those bikes.
(restoring a jawa350 is also bubbling in my mind )
Old 25th January 2009, 11:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Rio wht i would do if i was in your place is, dispose the samurai and get a RD , considering that RD would need some work and it would be my weekend bike..

For regular commute i would use the Pulsar and keeping in mind the maintenance/ running cost factor...

RD cant be compared to any bikes, if you want to own 1 i will say go for it...
Old 25th January 2009, 13:37   #3
BHPian

Follw your heart

Rio, its the heart thing that you have started here.... First bike then the pulsar and then the RD350.

Its a lot of heart in the RD that you have planned. If I were you, I would strike the pulsar out of the equation. Its just another bike in this case. Not worth it.

I rode a samurai in '98 days with a modified exhaust and clutch if I am not wrong. I still fail to get the same feeling on a pulsar to date.

Which RD would you like to go for? The HT ot the LT?
Old 26th January 2009, 11:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalii View Post
Rio, its the heart thing that you have started here.... First bike then the pulsar and then the RD350.

Its a lot of heart in the RD that you have planned. If I were you, I would strike the pulsar out of the equation. Its just another bike in this case. Not worth it.

I rode a samurai in '98 days with a modified exhaust and clutch if I am not wrong. I still fail to get the same feeling on a pulsar to date.

Which RD would you like to go for? The HT ot the LT?
is there any big diffrence between HT & LT ? which one will be good for weekend drives ?
and aslo whats the diffrence between sleeved and unsleeved engines ?
Old 27th January 2009, 18:31   #5
BHPian

From what I get, you dont need a bike for daily use. It is needed more to meet your dream. Go ahead and get a "good condition" RD350.

Be careful so that you dont get a lemon (that too a rotten one). I knew someone who was desperately planning to push his RD350 (bought at a hefty price) out because of multiple problems from the beginning.
Old 27th January 2009, 23:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
From what I get, you dont need a bike for daily use. It is needed more to meet your dream. Go ahead and get a "good condition" RD350.

Be careful so that you dont get a lemon (that too a rotten one). I knew someone who was desperately planning to push his RD350 (bought at a hefty price) out because of multiple problems from the beginning.
do you have any idea where i can get a good RD350 ?
whats the market price going on for a good vehicle ?
please advice me if anyone knows more about the price or any Tbhpian who deals with RD350 around !
Old 28th January 2009, 00:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Restoring and maintaining the bikes mentioned above is no small feat. If you planning to stay in India, you may as well think about it. Otherwise just restore your samurai when you come from Dubai and enjoy.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Restoring and maintaining the bikes mentioned above is no small feat. If you planning to stay in India, you may as well think about it. Otherwise just restore your samurai when you come from Dubai and enjoy.
thats what i am worried about devarshi.
i wont be staying india for long so if i spend money buying a RD and leave it in my garage after using for 2 or 3 weeks.. i guess it wont worth.

what kind of restoration and modification i can do in my samurai ? some performance upgrade also i m planning to
its in original company green colour, never had any engine problems, all i know that the front suspension must be changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice from fellow Tbhpians-samurai.jpg  

Old 28th January 2009, 12:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you keep it stock unless parts are not available. Maybe a good quality aftermarket muffler and better rubber can help make your ride safer and fun.
Old 28th January 2009, 14:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you keep it stock unless parts are not available. Maybe a good quality aftermarket muffler and better rubber can help make your ride safer and fun.
i think parts for samurai is easy available in the market
i feel like samurai is very light weighted vehicle
aslo i saw some samurais and rx100s with yezdi wheel for rear. is it safe to fit a yezdi rim and tyres for rear ?
Old 28th January 2009, 20:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nope. Yezdi rear tyres are not easily available when new. I just sold my yezdi in December and i was looking for a new tyre.

Stick to the same profile but get a tyre that suits the roads in your city. I think MRF should do well.
Old 28th January 2009, 21:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Yezdi rear tyres are not easily available when new. I just sold my yezdi in December and i was looking for a new tyre.

Stick to the same profile but get a tyre that suits the roads in your city. I think MRF should do well.

i would like to change the front suspensions completely to a new and better shocks. which telescopicsuspension will suite for samurai ?
and K&N air filter will work on my samurai ? if yes does it will make any diffrence in performance ??
Old 28th January 2009, 23:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

How much difference do you think it will make on a 7bhp 100cc bike? A free flow exhaust should do about 20% benifit. About shocks I wouldnt have an idea as I havent owned a tvs. Maybe get the engine ported by a pro.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
How much difference do you think it will make on a 7bhp 100cc bike? A free flow exhaust should do about 20% benifit. About shocks I wouldnt have an idea as I havent owned a tvs. Maybe get the engine ported by a pro.
is there anything that i can do to increase the power and torque in this poor samurai ?
Old 29th January 2009, 11:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

I will not suggest a RD to you.
The bike is quite powerful and you would be riding it in Indian traffic without any practise runs.

Remember the Rajdoot 350E was often called the Yamdoot

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks