Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 05:54   #1

Silencer Modification for Electra 4S

Hello people ,

I am Kiran from Bangalore , I own a Electra 4S 2006 , I have done around 14 K as of date , I have few clarifications about Silencer modification

After browsing through lots of threads, feeback

1. Is it the right time for the modification of the silencer

2. By default i have the original Glass wool Silencer and it is having pretty good thump , but i am looking for the thump which would be real loud . Is good to keep the same one .

3. Many people, friends have told me that if we modify the silencer there will be a dip the mileage , Is there any turn around for that ?

4. A trustworthy mechanic who really cares to do the job neat and tidy , i don`t mind if the charges are a bit to high ?
Old 9th February 2009, 11:51   #2
BHPian

hey kiran, Welcome onboard t-bhp.

1. Theres no right time for modifications persay, as long as you've run in your engine and going to someone who knows his job, its all good.

2. Getting something louder would ussually mean lesser restriction as in free flowing , glass wool silencers are absorbtive type of silencers and more often than not you would loose the engine note you currently have to get louder. Also you must take into consideration the backpressure required by the engine for proper accleration.

3. Technicallly there won't be any dip in the milage, provided your driving style remains same. This usually hapens as psople tend to rev more as it sounds good

4. bangy guys.. suggestions..

hope that answers most of your questions.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:03   #3
BHPian

Hey Speed0mania. You said it. See even i happen to have a 2006 Electra 4S. And just like the one that thimappa has on his bike, my bike also came with the glass wool silencer and I hated the exhaust note it gave, so after running in my bike for around 4500km, yes i am not kidding. I ran in my bike for 4500km dead. At around 7500km, i changed the bent pipe to that of the old bullet standard. Now these bent pipes start from the exhaust port and ends nearly under the rear right foot peg. then I went for the normal bullet standard's short bubble silencer, and i removed that little pipe on the left side of the cylender kit. doing so, i killed the little whistling noise and now, my bike gives me a pure exhaust note. ;-)

Now about the mileage, I live in Bangalore and my bike with these mods, gives me close to 43kmpl. May sound unreal, but i get that. and i can hit around 110km/h or more with ease. I hope this was helpful.
Old 9th February 2009, 16:39   #4
BHPian

I did get a free flow exaust for my Electra 5S used it for some time and then replaced it with the orignal one reason,s .

1. Vibration -- Glass wool silencers absorb most of the vibrations that come from the exause.

2. Loud- On a long drive you tend to get irriated by the loud noise you want music on long rides.

3.Performance- I somehow feel may be its the back pressure of the orignal silencer that the bike performs better with the orignal.

4. Better thumb- I have done around 8K on my bike and the orignal steelwool sounds better now not shore if it has accumulated some oil or I have blocked the pulse air valve with M-seal but the bike sounds real sweet and louder than it used to sound when it was new but shorely better than the open silencer.
Old 9th February 2009, 18:55   #5
BHPian

I agree with bhogalrajnish.A friend of mine had put a "rocket silencer" (freeflow) on his std, he just couldnt ride it for more than 50 kms at a stretch.Another option you could look into are those goldstar immitation silencer.Though they sell at a premium, they are much better to look at.IMO.An extended bendpipe with the smaller OE silencer would do just fine.
Old 9th February 2009, 23:47   #6
BHPian

good aftermarket short silencers are available. simply go to any dealer and get this done. its no sweat. get yourself the regular "short" silencer and the after market bend pipe too. forget the goldie, rocket etc. they are just too loud.
Old 11th April 2009, 22:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Hey Speed0mania. You said it. See even i happen to have a 2006 Electra 4S. And just like the one that thimappa has on his bike, my bike also came with the glass wool silencer and I hated the exhaust note it gave, so after running in my bike for around 4500km, yes i am not kidding. I ran in my bike for 4500km dead. At around 7500km, i changed the bent pipe to that of the old bullet standard. Now these bent pipes start from the exhaust port and ends nearly under the rear right foot peg. then I went for the normal bullet standard's short bubble silencer, and i removed that little pipe on the left side of the cylender kit. doing so, i killed the little whistling noise and now, my bike gives me a pure exhaust note. ;-)

Now about the mileage, I live in Bangalore and my bike with these mods, gives me close to 43kmpl. May sound unreal, but i get that. and i can hit around 110km/h or more with ease. I hope this was helpful.
Dear Ron,
Could you kindly share the details of the mechanic where you got this done?
I already have the short bottle silencer on my electra 4S(07 model) with the OEM bent pipe. Inspite of having this short bottle silencer, my mechanic said that it isn't a full free flow and hence not the best of thump. He says that he can get it burnt. Wonder what that means.
So, plan to get this whole thing replaced with the setup you've mentioned.
Could you kindly help? Also, if there is any advice from any of the experts, it would be very helpful.
Thank you very much.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 12th April 2009, 09:53   #8

Details Please

Hey Ron , thank you so much for the information , If it is possible could have a look at your bike , before i get it modified , In the way if feel i have answers to all my question , I am avaible on 98804 35055 or kibr@mach.com ..Thanks again Ron ..

Quote:

Old 28th January 2010, 10:05   #9
octaneoverdose

Quote:

Guys, I think im replying to this post after almost a year. I hope you contributors come back to see this one

this is the best thing to do - the original std350 bend and bottle plus disconnecting the exhaust recirculation valve system.

But recently, I saw a thunderbird (Unit Construction Engine) with a beautiful exhaust. I presume all 350s come with the same long bottle. This chappie had chopped off about a fourth of the bottle - cross-section diagonally left to right. Then he welded a plate to finish it and chromed it again. Looks marvellous. And sounds nice too.

I think there is nothing to beat the standard bottle and bend. But getting one after market also wont get the authentic thump. The best way to get that is to go for the bottles which came in factory fitment for standard bikes (long long ago). Thats because the metal sheet thickness is so perfect. And with time when the filter sheets wear/thin down, the beat is so perfect. Hunt in the bazaar and get a chromeable original.

Buying new short bottles and punching away the first filter is also an option many follow. Its almost the same as goldstar or rocket deepthroats. And screws the engine and the authentic.

The last option would be customise a standard bottle in a shape to match your styling, but specs should not deviate.

I am planning to design and build a mod-able silencer for my std 350. But that would take at least a few months from now to get started.

PS: Ron9191, Pretty much possible you get 40 plus in a bullet 350. I wouldn't know your bike or terrain until i get there. But i have to clarify here that your bike does not return greater mileage because of removing that exhaust gas return valve. It drops. I am saying this because a lot of blokes whip their bullets without understanding the bike and after reading your post, they could believe that disconnecting the exhaust gas return valve will boost their mileage.

TRY IT. I have personally checked it with this method. You'll find the same stuff on a hero honda splendor, honda activa and pretty much all the new bikes and scooters. Its a solenoid valve that re-direct gases from the exhaust to the inlet/carb. Since its a solenoid valve it wont affect the engine if you unplug it on a running engine. Unplugging the pipe from the solenoid valve wont kill the engine.

When you unplug the pipe from the solenoid valve (exhaust gas return valve aka exaustec in hero honda), the idling will drop. This should explain that with the same amount of fuel air mixture and added gases diverted from the exhaust, the idling speed increases. Which means the exhaust gases have still got unburnt fuel air mixture that enrich the inlet and increase the engine speed at idling. Now how much fuel do you use in a week? And how much will this simple solenoid valve earn for you?

But I must say, that whistling noise is the price one has to pay for the fuel savings. And fuel savings are nothing compared to the pure "thump" pleasure one owns the bullet for.

Old 28th January 2010, 11:09   #10
BHPian

@thimmappa
did u get it done or not??

how is the beat now?
Old 29th April 2010, 02:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
@thimmappa
did u get it done or not??

how is the beat now?

Well i went for the rocket silencer , it quite loud , but it can be fatal on a long drive , due to loud noise and the bike vibrations , the air filter lock gets cut or the horn metal piece gets cut .. In other words , anything on the bike which is bit soft gets ripped of due to vibration , but over all the thump is really amazing ..

Cheers
Old 29th April 2010, 02:14   #12

@ rangan ,

Well i got the rocket silencer from Sandhya motors , over all the thump is good , but not recomended on long drives as it causes too much of vibrations and many things in the bike get broken .. like air filter lock or horn metal strip .. but its good to have a rocket silencer untill some one says to change it ..
Old 9th May 2012, 22:56   #13

Re: Silencer Modification for Electra 4S

Hi bulleteers
I just fitted the rocket silencer today on my 1982 bullet 350. Must say I am really in love with the sound. Can someone let me know the ill effects of this silencer. I dont go on highway trips on my bullet, so its mostly restricted within Bangalore city.

I got my old silencer as the main stand kept on knocking the bottle of the silencer when I go on rough patches..This continues knocking made 3cm hole in the silencer bottle. Hence i got it removed.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:52   #14
BHPian

Re: Silencer Modification for Electra 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thimappa View Post
@ rangan ,

Well i got the rocket silencer from Sandhya motors , over all the thump is good , but not recomended on long drives as it causes too much of vibrations and many things in the bike get broken .. like air filter lock or horn metal strip .. but its good to have a rocket silencer untill some one says to change it ..
Hey Thimappa,
This is an age old dilemma for all Bulleteers
Rocket silencers are good to the ears but not very good for the bike. You would loose on the back-pressure required for the engine.
There are two types of Goldstar silencers. Glass wool and the one with Conical baffles. I have put the ones with glass wool in both by bikes and am pretty satisfied with it. You can play with the amount of wool inside to tweak the sound of your bike.
My suggestion would be to change the rocket silencer soon as it will damage your bike slowly.
Ride Safe captain

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks