Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 16:52   #1

Would the Thunderbird work out for my situation ?

Let me introduce myself first before I apologize for the long post. Im 35 years of age, height 5' 11", reasonably built, a technology freak and have liked to enjoy life to the fullest.

I have always dreamt of, but could never buy a bike in college days because my father could not afford it. When I started making good money on my own, I immediately bought the TVS Fiero and rode it for a year. Then I changed to the Pulsar 150 the day it was launched, rode it for a year and gave it away. Both times, the bikes did not really set my pants on fire nor gave me the thrill beyond driving a new bike for a year. The last two years, I have been biting the bullet and driving my wifey's Activa, patiently waiting for the Karizma FI or any good cruiser, but it does not look like either are anywhere close to reality.

So here Im looking for a bike again, a bike that is not just a motor stuffed between two tires, a bike that has character and sets me out in the crowd. Reasonably priced (Not a outrageous 10L) and not too difficult to maintain.

I have been eying the Thunderbird for some trime, but was always put away by the maintanance horror stories and the weight of the machine. Last week, me and wifey just went on a whim to the enfield showroom, test rode the Thunderbird Twin Spark and fell in "love with it" completely. I have spent the last 48 hours reading up all about the machine and its good & bad reviews. Even my wife is happy with the beast, but I have a few questions for your folks before I jump in and make the booking !!!

1. I honestly do not know too much about the bike internals to tear it apart if the machine refuses to move. Im worried that if TB just breaks down in the middle of the road, I would be stranded with no understanding of what or where to tweak.

The question is, how reliable are the new Enfields, especially the TBTS ? What are the chances of it stopping in the middle of the road or refusing to start in the morning ?

2. I have two kids, one 5 year old and a 2 year old. I hear the Enfield engines can get terriblly hot even after a 20km ride. Im worried about myself or the kids burning their legs while enjoying short rides or even after I park.

Since the TBTS has a completely new engine, how much does the engine heat up now ? Can children burn their skin after moderate rides on the TB ?

3. I do not care about the gears not slotting into place or false neutrals or even a moderate oil or petrol leak, but would definitely care if I have to go to the mechanic every week for some problem or the other as I lead a busy life at work.

How often would I need to visit the service station in general ? Im confused because some claim that the TB just keeps going on and on without complaints and others say that machine needs repairs and touchups all the time.

Again Sorry for the long post, but I need to make a wise decision as I fell in love with a beast which is possibly not suited for a busy guy like me. I cannot spend hours cleaning and mainitaining the vehicle every week, but take care of my vehicles with a lot of care and do not flog them. I do not go across cities like a avid biker, but even if I travel 20kms across town, I want to do it in style and have the thril of riding a machine that makes you feel like god !

I also read that the bulls have to be pampered like a GF and not neglected like a wife ! Im prepared to pamper the vehicle with money and care, but not with time !!! Would it work out ?
Old 16th February 2009, 10:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Cost of maintaining a Tb

Money: I ride the old single spark tb. The cost of oil change etc equals my car. But that is because I prefer using ordinary oil for the car and magnatec for the bike. Roughly works out to about 2k every 6 months or 7~8k kms. I change oil depending on my reading of the bike performance and mechanic's suggestion.

Emotional: You will never be the same.

The bike does not heat up. It does not handle very well in stop and go traffic but I just did a 1800km + trip last month with absolutely no issues on my 5 1/2 year old bike.

For more answers, I guess some one with a tbts is the best bet.
Old 16th February 2009, 10:46   #3

Thank you. Its a relief to know that the vehicle does not heat up as much as some individual reviews have made it out to be.

As I mentioned, Im prepared to spend on the bike as I realize that once you get a bullet, you either need to get your hands dirty or spend money on keeping it up !
Old 16th February 2009, 12:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Vinay, nothing to worry at all. on the maintenance its just a myth where people thing bulls are costly. its simple and easy to maintain.

Heating is not a big issue, just need to make sure one shouldnot touch the bore or the bend pipe. in summers thier is a chance of the engines getting little more heated up in slow moving traffic but nothing that which is unmanageable.

Just make sure that the kid is not seated in front, close to the tank thats where thier is a chance of the leg coming in contact with the bore.
Old 16th February 2009, 13:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Simply go for it!! I own an electra since 2 years now but i've got friends owning birds (single spark) for a long time. They have 6 digit figures on their odo and still running well. I am sure that the twin spark is an advancement. You would simply enjoy it.
Cheers and Happy Thumping..
Deepak
Old 16th February 2009, 15:39   #6
BHPian

I own TB since last 3+ years and very happy with the performance. It's not TBTS but I would like you to go ahead for your choice. My openion on your questions.
1. To know TB isn't a roket science. it differs from other bikes in the way you have to start and shifting of gears, rest all is almost same for all bikes. Also, if anything goes wrong, I say 90-95% bike owners (forget about those who don't know this too...) don't know more than cleaning spark plug.....moreover it's a very reliable bike. I haven't faced any problem except clutch cable...which I feel is normal for any RE bike.

2. Engine heating is normal like other bikes...nothing extra/special with TB.

3. In my 3+ years of ownership, I needed to visit mechanic only once, that too for battery as it was unused for nearly 3 months. rest all I used to manage by my own. If you can't do u need to visit mechanic for changing oil, oil filter, clutch cable replacement, air filter cleaning, rear break adjustment etc....nothing major.

Finally it's nothing like pampering it....take little extra care of it & it will take care of yours.

Don't think twice, just go ahead for it...

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 17th February 2009, 11:26   #7

Thank you guys. I just need to work out my finances this week (As the Enfield showroom says they have no tie up with any banks for finance !) and hopefully, I can join the club !
Old 17th February 2009, 13:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great one Vinayaga to go for the thunderbird and look forward to your ownership report later. Keep us updated.

OT: Are you Vinayaga Raman or more precisely (vinraman)? If you are then you will know how I know you . If not disregard and have a great stay here buddy!
Old 17th February 2009, 13:55   #9

I hope it works out well. I have spent the better part of my life driving Activa's and Pulsars and it seems like a huge decision to go for a Enfield ! The showroom guys altitude, their response to your newbie questions, the fact that there is no finance; everything about buying the bullet seems different and scary !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
OT: Are you Vinayaga Raman or more precisely (vinraman)? If you are then you will know how I know you . If not disregard and have a great stay here buddy!
Yup, you got it right ! I do not remember meeting you, but it is nice to know that someone in team-Bhp knows me !
Old 17th February 2009, 14:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

I find it hard to believe that there is no finance for Enfield vehicles, but it had been so for a long time now and if am not wrong the price of TB is close to a lakh I think. Anyways! all the best in your endeavor of owning the TB and am sure you will enjoy it.

OT: Vinayaga! we used to regularly play Ping Pong when I was @ SA and if you take a closer look @ my ride and avatar you will remember me .

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 17th February 2009 at 14:26.
Old 17th February 2009, 14:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

In 2003, I bought my tB using a personal loan from Std Chartered.

You can explore this option as well. The EMI will not be any different.
Old 17th February 2009, 14:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@VJ, TB costs close to 1.10 Lakhs, if i am not wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In 2003, I bought my tB using a personal loan from Std Chartered.You can explore this option as well. The EMI will not be any different.
How about swiping your credit card if you have that kind of limit and convert them to EMI's, cheapest option, i feel
Old 17th February 2009, 14:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@VJ, TB costs close to 1.10 Lakhs, if i am not wrong

How about swiping your credit card if you have that kind of limit and convert them to EMI's, cheapest option, i feel
Thanks for the correction mobike008 as one of my friend purchased a TB for 98K, huh ! around 2 to 3 years back I remember. Oh My Bad !
Old 17th February 2009, 14:57   #14
BHPian

vinay, go ahead and live your dream ... me too planning for one,hopefully shud book in a month or so . only prob is my wifey doesnot like anything to do with RE.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:26   #15

My wife also did not like RE's, but the "not liking" was because of the visually big oil dripping bikes that she had been used to and the excessive sound (Yeah, yeah, the same thump that bullet'ers die for !!!).

When I cajoled her (Forced ?) into taking a ride, the Thunderbird design, the plush ride and the fact that the machine did not make too much of a thump convinced her !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks