Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 02:17   #1
BHPian

My brand new, second hand, restored Roadking

I've just restored my 83 Dollar Roadking. It was completely original when I bought it. The engine subsequently underwent a major overhaul and I managed to find an original, brand new (in storage of course) standard piston, as well as had the gearbox redone and the exhaust ports polished. Also had it painted (although while parked near my office, some fool knocked it down and chipped a bit of the paint.) Waiting for the monsoon to do the chrome work. Does it make more sense to matt the cans? Let me know. Comments and brickbats welcome.

Old 26th February 2009, 03:34   #2
BHPian

Really nice. Very difficult to see Dollar RKs now. Does it still run on points and double clutch chain setup? I wish you had left it original or painted it in original colors and decals. Sad to see the lines of the tank lost. These are pretty difficult to get now. Nonetheless, you have a lovely bike in hand. Im glad to hear that its mechanically fine. All the best.
Old 26th February 2009, 08:23   #3
BHPian

I cant say much about the technical side apart from the fact that Jawa and RK's are one of the few bikes i like the sound off(even that aint technical!) .

But the best part of this whole thread is the Topic Tag , a sense of optimism(calling it brand new), enthusiasm(buying a 2nd hand RK) and excitement(restored finally) that confuses ones not in the same wavelength.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 26th February 2009 at 08:28.
Old 26th February 2009, 09:54   #4
BHPian

Looks good. Chrome is the way to go. One of the things that attracted me to restored Yezdis is the chrome. If you don't overdo it, it can look really classy. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, it is a fantastic bike.

Get those original monograms on the tank & battery cover.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Really nice. Very difficult to see Dollar RKs now. Does it still run on points and double clutch chain setup? I wish you had left it original or painted it in original colors and decals. Sad to see the lines of the tank lost. These are pretty difficult to get now. Nonetheless, you have a lovely bike in hand. Im glad to hear that its mechanically fine. All the best.
TuffRyder, the original tank was rusted through. The mechanic said that it would be difficult to save it, and the decals were missing when I got it. So didn't know how get some, as well an original tank. If you know where I could get an original tank in Mumbai, it would be awesome
Old 26th February 2009, 14:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice t see one more yezdi saved. I'd say chrome would make the bike lok great. Pardon my ignorace, can u tell what is the difference between a normal Rk, and the dollar??
Old 26th February 2009, 15:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Nice t see one more yezdi saved. I'd say chrome would make the bike lok great. Pardon my ignorace, can u tell what is the difference between a normal Rk, and the dollar??
+1 to that. I would also like to know what were the differences and how to identify them?

djpeesh: As many have mentioned earlier I guess more chrome would suit this bile more than the matt/paint finish. Regarding the golden lines etc. Ask around I am sure there may be a few painters/mechanics who specialize in Jawa/Yezdi and tehy could help you to get your bike back into the original showroom condition. The only essential asset required in this endeavor being patience and some extra moolah.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:18   #9
BHPian

looks a beauty , +1 on the chrome.
Old 10th June 2011, 18:42   #10
BHPian

Re: My brand new, second hand, restored Roadking

Sorry to bump up my old thread after over two years, but does anyone know how to get the bike re-registered? My registration expired in February. Just noticed when I was getting the papers photocopied for the rains. Also, I need to repair my front forks. Anyone know where to get this done? My mechanic seems to have disappeared on me so need a good mechanic in Bombay. Thanks a bunch

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks