Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 13:13   #1
BHPian

1 lakh Budget Suggest a Bike!

Hi Bhp-ians,

Iam a proud owner of Pulsar 150 DTSi for over 5yrs now.

The person I am:-
1) I dont mind going to a Service Center once is 4 months. Got used to it with Pulsar with gear slips and all.

2) Last 5 yrs I have mostly been the first to come out of a traffic signal even outsmarting Zma or 180 guys with my sheer 14yr biking exp (all about fast gear shifting, maneuvering and smart use of clutch!). Things are changing now with better bikes like rtr,200,r15 and better riders BUT I cant allow 100-125cc bikers to overtake me!

3) Mileage, well 45 is fine. I get 50+ on my pulsar for reg office drive and 45 when i make her sweat!

4) Driving - Once in a while i do take my bike to the limits - If anyone is familiar with Kerala, i have done Cochin-Calicut 200kms in 3hr 15mins on my pulsar 150.

5) Currently I drive under a mix of highway and city traffic in cochin with occassional long trips to Munnar etc.

So now the big question based on my preferences:-
Thunderbird Twinspark(TBTS) or R15 or Pulsar 220 (all black ver which is coming) or something else which is soon to be launched.

Bikes i DONT wanna consider :- Unicorn(good one but not an upgradation), Pulsar 200(since present 150 looks all the same),rtr (somehow dont like it),fz16(gud,but still not an upgradation),gs150(too new)

Please please suggest. I'm more inclined towards TBTS for its road presence and the power & pickup it has which no other Bullets have till date. I have really liked TBTS in my TD. And its 0-60 is ~6secs and 0-100 inside 18secs. But will TBTS be a headache in the form of maintenance?Will it be 'trouble free' atleast like my Pulsar 150 if not like Unicorn? And will it last like the old cast iron beasts,say at least 10yrs? I have seen a 2004 AVL Thunderbird sometime back with a very loud screaching sound from the engine. Will it happen with TBTS?Will short silencer give it some sort of a thumping?

Awaiting your valuable suggestions.
Old 26th February 2009, 23:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go for the R15. Its a really fast machine with perhaps the best chassis that will inspire confidence and moreover, you can exploit the full potential of your experience on this machine. P220 is slightly on the heavier side and not as agile as R15. Thunderbird is not for street racing, although it can do it, but again for what you are into usually like coming out first from signal, go for R15.
Old 26th February 2009, 23:56   #3
BHPian

3hr 15 min cochin to calicut . you are normal dude. my dad dit it in 2hr 45 mins in our verna
dad got a nice scolding from my mom

and hey if you want brand new then think of a bullet! men ride bullets boys ride bikes. lol.
otherwise go for p220 or yamaha FZ16 dont bother about R15 its a rip off. you will get smoked by a P220 and ZMA left and right!! or else get the grand daddy RD350!!
Old 27th February 2009, 00:15   #4
BHPian

Since you have already used a pulsar, its time for an upgrade. Not to the normal four stroke FZ, R15 or 220.

Bullet is the way to go. The TB is a lovely bike but you ll have lot of small small problems with it, both mechanical and electrical. The new TS engine is supposed to be good in terms of power delivery and efficiency.

If it was a decision i had to make, will go for the RE 350 STD with the conventional right side gear shift. Nothing beats that bike for comfort still.

Cochin-Calicut in 3 hr 15 mins is a good timing. But its not safe at all. I used to be a regular on the Cochin- Coimbatore stretch a few yrs back on my P 180. The best timing i could achieve was 2 hrs and 15 mins flat. But now i realise how stupid i was and its safety that is most important.

Adi
Old 27th February 2009, 00:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Fastest bike in India is still a Pulsie 220 Fi. It can smoke the R15 in a straight line.
Old 27th February 2009, 00:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
3hr 15 min cochin to calicut . you are normal dude. my dad dit it in 2hr 45 mins in our verna
dad got a nice scolding from my mom

and hey if you want brand new then think of a bullet! men ride bullets boys ride bikes. lol.
otherwise go for p220 or yamaha FZ16 dont bother about R15 its a rip off. you will get smoked by a P220 and ZMA left and right!! or else get the grand daddy RD350!!
sameel no offence
but he is asking for a bike so why this?
and i see replies like these boasting off your verna faster than anything else from you on various threads.

@Sam if you are inclined towards TBTS,take a test ride of 500LB as well,its an amazing machine.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 27th February 2009 at 00:41.
Old 27th February 2009, 00:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
@Sam if you are inclined towards TBTS,take a test ride of 500LB as well,its an amazing machine.
Are the 500s still available? The last I went to a showroom, they said they were out of stock and no more are being manufactured. The news was they were releasing a unit construction engine like the 350 TBTS for all the future releases from RE.
Old 27th February 2009, 01:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

The TBTS is a different ball game.Its very different from the pulsars and the likes.Its the most technologically advanced bullet.Has a good feel and presence to it.But is also heavy and not that nimble .I suggest you ride it for some time.If you want to stick to a pulsar go in for a 220.
Now for the icing on the cake.If you have the time, money, patience and passion try to source a rd.Nothing compares to it. And all these talks of men ride this and boys ride that vanish into thin air when you have a rd. I say from experience.
Old 27th February 2009, 01:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

dude please have a safe bet get a Zma and be happy forget the other bikes, if u dont mind second hand try and hunt for a CB250 comet!

dude you say you want mileage, i am taking a wild guess the TBTS is not going be as fuel efficient as the Zma or the Comet so my personal recommendation would be one of these two.

if you still want mileage and all the other things you said, if i was you i would pick up a used karizma not totally belted but decent enough for around 50 grand and change the carb to BS29 jet it, get a air filter for it and be happy and spend a little on the worn out parts and be happy with it.

all in all my expences would be under 70k regardless and i will have an awesome machine as a daily mule.

now this is just me you think and do whats best for you.

good luck matey.
Old 27th February 2009, 02:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Are the 500s still available? The last I went to a showroom, they said they were out of stock and no more are being manufactured. The news was they were releasing a unit construction engine like the 350 TBTS for all the future releases from RE.
Yes they are available,the limited run of 500 units was just a mareketing gimmick by RE.
Old 27th February 2009, 08:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
The TBTS is a different ball game.Its very different from the pulsars and the likes.Its the most technologically advanced bullet.
Sure, a 50 year old engine block, brakes made of cheese and we need the Austrians to help us get 25 HP from a 500CC bike. That is 50 HP / LT, most Honda lawnmowers do better than that. The Enfield is a blight on the reputation of Indian engineering. In 50 years of making it, the engineers couldn't freaking learn how to do it better or design their own engines. A shame really.

My suggestion to the thread starter is to get a P220. Still hands down the best bike in the market. There is some noise about an Apache 180, but those Apaches are usually overpriced for the kit you get.
Old 27th February 2009, 08:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

@xx:RE bullets are still having demand everywhere due to the not so big changes made to the Classic Bullet.
--
TBTS is not worth the money spent.(Frankly!).Get a pulsar 200 bike(or wait for p200 FI).It is what will suit your needs and the mileage.zma is another option.good build quality ,but less mileage.consider all this.
OK.I saw you blacklisted p200.consider it again.
--
For Long rides ,Bullet is a good choice.the classic Bullet Std or electra 4S.

Last edited by deepclutch : 27th February 2009 at 08:45.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:02   #13
BHPian

P220 or RTR 200 (when it comes)
Old 27th February 2009, 10:08   #14
BHPian

i just commented on his timing . telling him there is nothing to worry about with his timing

i had a ZMA . but yes read the whole post. i suggested the bikes also.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Fastest bike in India is still a Pulsie 220 Fi. It can smoke the R15 in a straight line.
Well I would say, the fastest bike still after all these years is still the Mighty RD350. I would go in for that. No bikes sold in India can pass the RD still, or come remotely close to the power & acceleration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks