Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 16:08   #1
BHPian

Is it possible to add Fuel Injection kit to a manual carb engine ?

Hi folks!

Reading on about the amazing things our fellow members do here, I was looking for some concrete information on whether someone (like me :P ) can go about adding something like a Fuel Injection kit to a bike that doesn't have one ?
Not that I have any concerns for the average or anything, I love my Kat 600 any day the way it thrills me!! but just wanted to understand if there's a possibility to this, cos there's quite a few times, I have got into carb trouble with this one, and hence, becomes a bit tedious for a novice like me to maintain it with such quirks every now and then..

Suggestions welcomed!

Cheers.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

As for your first question, it is possible to convert to fuel injection a bit difficult but not impossible. Need to find parts for the bike, like fuel pump,throttle body [available from other suzuki bikes as well as letter model of Katana], injectors, senors and ECU ,I would suggest a after market unit easy to setup and many are used on this type of setups.
If your thinking of converting to injection just because of carb problems than please let us know the problem. there may be solutions to your problems.

Last edited by dinar : 18th March 2009 at 17:26.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonu View Post
I love my Kat 600 any day the way it thrills me!!
If you truly love it, leave it as it is.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:33   #4
BANNED

Dont even think about it.
Old 18th March 2009, 18:24   #5
BHPian

LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
As for your first question, it is possible to convert to fuel injection a bit difficult but not impossible. Need to find parts for the bike, like fuel pump,throttle body [available from other suzuki bikes as well as letter model of Katana], injectors, senors and ECU ,I would suggest a after market unit easy to setup and many are used on this type of setups.
If your thinking of converting to injection just because of carb problems than please let us know the problem. there may be solutions to your problems.
Thanks Dinar.
Not quite positives towards such an attempt I see..
Well, as for the problems, I'm not able to understand very clearly myself what the issue is, and even when I've got to fix that it is due to that, I'm not very technical to get into fixing all that myself.
More or less, it's about the proper sized jets, carb cleaning, synchro of all 4, analyzing and rubber cap and float status and replacing / fixing them if needed..
If you know some one in Delhi who can actually do this, lemme know..

Cheers,
J.
Old 18th March 2009, 18:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks!

Reading on about the amazing things our fellow members do here, I was looking for some concrete information on whether someone (like me :P ) can go about adding something like a Fuel Injection kit to a bike that doesn't have one ?
Not that I have any concerns for the average or anything, I love my Kat 600 any day the way it thrills me!! but just wanted to understand if there's a possibility to this, cos there's quite a few times, I have got into carb trouble with this one, and hence, becomes a bit tedious for a novice like me to maintain it with such quirks every now and then..

Suggestions welcomed!

Cheers.
Good thought but lite on feasibility.
That amounts to designing and fabricating a generation engine!
Give it an analysis yourself.

Cheers.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:25   #7
BHPian

No can't do. FI is not a plug and play component, it is many pieces in a large puzzle that a bike designed for carbs is entirely unsuited for.
Old 18th March 2009, 23:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dinar.
Not quite positives towards such an attempt I see..
Well, as for the problems, I'm not able to understand very clearly myself what the issue is, and even when I've got to fix that it is due to that, I'm not very technical to get into fixing all that myself.
More or less, it's about the proper sized jets, carb cleaning, synchro of all 4, analyzing and rubber cap and float status and replacing / fixing them if needed..
If you know some one in Delhi who can actually do this, lemme know..

Cheers,
J.
Ok , basically you have issue with carb cleaning and adjusting them right? what model is it? I mean year, I have a bunch of manuals, have to see if anyone is for this bike[engine].
So you are getting it done from someone and you are not satisfied with the work, right. As for a mechanic in Delhi, members from north will be able to help you, I have no idea of this my friend.

By the way if you want to get the FI thingy, it's doable. I have seen old BMWs, suzukis and kawasakis getting converted to FI. Hunt the net and you'll get a lot of such stories.
One should know what is needed to do this job that's it.

Last edited by dinar : 18th March 2009 at 23:21.
Old 18th March 2009, 23:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Ok , basically you have issue with carb cleaning and adjusting them right? what model is it? I mean year, I have a bunch of manuals, have to see if anyone is for this bike[engine].
So you are getting it done from someone and you are not satisfied with the work, right. As for a mechanic in Delhi, members from north will be able to help you, I have no idea of this my friend.

By the way if you want to get the FI thingy, it's doable. Me and a friend are working on something like this for his carb esteem [just for heck of it]. will be posting the details in once we have finished the project. So getting a FI on a non FI engine is possible.
One should know what is needed to do this job that's it .
Yea I guess. but u never know.. it's an oldie - 2000 model, so wanted to tweak it up fully.
I have the manual with me, as well as a toolkit, but not the in-depth knowledge or maybe heart to get into it myself.. :P
anyways, thanks.. and good luck on yr project too..!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks