Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 20:44   #1
BHPian

Searching for a 500CC Bullet Lightning EDIT now bought Machismo 500LB (Alberto Green)

Hi

I am searching for a 500 cc Bullet Lightning in good condition. Request help from Bhp'ians for any references / information.

Cheers
Old 27th March 2009, 00:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, Lightnings were 535cc(maybe RE did release some 500cc examples, but these would be rare). I suppose you know what you are getting into, by deciding to go after this bike.

Your best bets are bullet mechanics and friends in local bullet clubs, to aid in this search. A 535cc lightning would be very difficult to find and even if you do, the owner may not be willing to part with it, as it takes a lot of trouble and moolah to keep one running in good shape.

The 535 was a flawed engine from the Bullet and does not lend itself to abuse(read hard riding) at all. 500cc is a better bet, but as in any Enfield, it has its own set of problems.

Please understand that I do not write this to dishearten you, but shed some light on the trip you are about to embark on. FYI, I have had a bullet 500cc for 5 years now.
Old 27th March 2009, 02:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Lightning was 535
AFAIK it was the citybike that was 500
Old 27th March 2009, 08:20   #4
BHPian

There is an ad on Craigslist about a Lightening being available for sale in Yelahanka. Check that out. Am not sure if external links are allowed, hence will PM the same.

All the best!
Old 27th March 2009, 14:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Lightning was 535
AFAIK it was the citybike that was 500
correct.

And both don't fare well in maint department.

I have heard bad things about 535 lightning from all the mechanics.
Std 500 bull is much safer bet.Which can be modded a little bit to look like Lightning.
Old 27th March 2009, 19:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirbhan View Post
There is an ad on Craigslist about a Lightening being available for sale in Yelahanka. Check that out. Am not sure if external links are allowed, hence will PM the same.

All the best!
Thanks for the link, I am trying to pursue it. I believe that there is also a 500cc std available at Cox Town, will check on that one as well.

@alpha1: what is that about the maintenance problems that you mentioned? Any specific problems or is it just an all-round issue.?.
Old 28th March 2009, 05:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Thanks for the link, I am trying to pursue it. I believe that there is also a 500cc std available at Cox Town, will check on that one as well.

@alpha1: what is that about the maintenance problems that you mentioned? Any specific problems or is it just an all-round issue.?.
The biggest difference in 535 from other Enfields is the engine. And that is what gives you the most bugbear. Parts are very very costly and hard to find. For eg :- Barrel, piston etc. Seizures are very common in 535's.
Old 28th March 2009, 05:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
The biggest difference in 535 from other Enfields is the engine. And that is what gives you the most bugbear. Parts are very very costly and hard to find. For eg :- Barrel, piston etc. Seizures are very common in 535's.
I agree
535's bore kit and piston are very expensive and hard to find too.
If you need lightning's looks,try to find a citybike
Old 28th March 2009, 06:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Enfield hardly sold any Citybikes. Actually, that should have been called the lighting - for the speed with which it came and went, off the market. On a side note, there was a lighting 350 as well, before the boffins decided to call it Thunderbird.
Old 28th March 2009, 07:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Enfield hardly sold any Citybikes. Actually, that should have been called the lighting - for the speed with which it came and went, off the market. On a side note, there was a lighting 350 as well, before the boffins decided to call it Thunderbird.
I have seen a few citybike's on road,and yes i remember about lightning 350 too and also read its Road test report in OD or ACI may be,but i dont think that bike even made it to showrooms,thunderbird came out instead
Old 30th March 2009, 23:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have seen a few citybike's on road,and yes i remember about lightning 350 too and also read its Road test report in OD or ACI may be,but i dont think that bike even made it to showrooms,thunderbird came out instead
Well, some examples were released, I have seen one.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:02   #12
BANNED

I may be wrong here, but i think the citybike was the same 535cc bullet before it was launched as the Lightning.

And about costs. At last known reference 2 years back the piston was quoted at Rs 12k. And no it was not made of titanium.
Old 31st March 2009, 03:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I may be wrong here, but i think the citybike was the same 535cc bullet before it was launched as the Lightning.

And about costs. At last known reference 2 years back the piston was quoted at Rs 12k. And no it was not made of titanium.
Citybike came with a 500CC engine,lightning was the 535 one.
Old 31st March 2009, 04:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Last known price of bore-piston kits i.e if at all you can locate them - 9k.
Old 4th April 2009, 23:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post

I bought the one from the craiglist. Got it for a decent price. It had only done 13500 KM and is very close to the lightning's original condition. I had been searching for a while and there are a couple of them available in Bangalore but the asking price is around 70K. The regular 500cc ones are easier to come by.

Most Viewed