Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 14:12   #1
BHPian

TVS Fiero problem

Friends,

I have a 2000 model Suzuki Fiero which ran about 46K KM. Bike is still good in terms of performance (pickup, mileage, overall handling, etc) but it's become quite noisy of late. It all started with ignorable ticking sound from the engine but gradually it increased to intolerable decible levels. I've got it serviced with a nighborhood mechanic (Sarjapur Road, BLR) but I think he screwed it up more. Once he said, piston needs to be changedx. Another time he said some timing spring problem. Noise is similar to when exhaust pipe is broken or there is a crack in it. I tried to look for the source of the problem but an examination with my inexperienced eye did not help. Externally it all looks okay without any broken or loose engine parts.

Please could you suggest a better mechanic or service station for Fiero in Bangalore? I live on Sarjapur Road and work place is near Hebbal fly over. It'll be helpful, if I can find any good service on this route or nearby places (so that I can drop it before going to work and pick it up on my way back).

Thanks much in advance.

Regards,
KK
Old 14th April 2009, 18:09   #2
BHPian

Cannot suggest a mechanic, but I would suggest you get the timing chain checked. Also get the gears checked to ensure the noise is not bein caused by a broken gear tooth inside...

All the best...
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:08   #3
BHPian

Resolved!

Thanks turbo for your suggestion.
In fact it was multiple problems. To my astonishment, I was running with almost nill engine oil. I'd have known this before. I did not suspect this but was suspecting a gap in the exhuast to the engine since, I got my bike fully serviced just couple of months back at a neighborhood service centre. So, I learnt a hard lesson.. Don't trust some unknown mechanic unless you have some good references to check.

So my bike finally went to through a complete overhaul. Engine re-bored. Change of lots of spares including timing chain, volves, O rings, bearings, piston, what not, everything including oil cap (or something) for the front shock absorbers!. I have been handed a hefty bill of about 7K!

But bike looks and sounds much better now! The previous ticking noise too is completely gone. I've been advised not to exceed 40KMPH till next 700Km's or odd for the new piston and other spares to properly run-in.

BTW, I went with Castrol Bike Zone on outer ring road, near Mahadevapura junction (on ORR). Ahmed the owner sounds trust worthy. So far so good. I initially hesitated to go to this Castrol ones because I read mixed responses on the net. Nevertheless I wanted to give it a try because going to any other TVS athorised or trusted service station was practically very challenging. I am happy with the response, courtesy, timeliness and overall service. It's been couple of days since I picked up my bike and I'm happy with it's performance. I'm eagerly waiting to cross those 700Km's so that I can revv it again.

Have a good one!

Cheers,
KK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks