Old 15th April 2009, 10:32   #1
BHPian

TVS Apache Long Term Report !

Long Term Report :
Bike :Apache RTR 160 Refresh
Kilometers Run: 3630 Kms
Purchase Date : 24-04-2008
Days of Ownership : 9 months 21 days

I wake up in the morning and hold a cloth to clean my beloved and think that it is about time that I write a review the bike and post it here. But I suddenly realise that I am fifteen minutes late! I quit dreaming and rush to my destination ASAP.
In this hectic lifestyle one does not get enough time to do such things but if ones willing he can surely take time out 'like me' and thanks to the baisakhi holiday yesterday

This review is about my bike the Apache RTR 160 bought about ten months ago.
I fell in love with this bike just when the Apache 150 was launched , me being small in height 5'3'' I liked everything about it and more than I liked those Pulsars , Unicorns, CBZs etc ‘this bike was different’.
Then on one fateful day I decided to buy myself a bike.
I and my dad saw the pulsar 180 and the Apache (I’ll use RTR as the nickname)
After seeing the RTR , Pulsar looked very poorly built, I mean very, its some of parts were rusted already and switchgear , Speedo of RTR were far better.

I made a mistake here (did not see Zma, but still Zma's are dime a dozen here and their reputation of being lala's boy's toys is also not very desirable)

So booked a grey RTR on Friday and got the bike on Monday.
Did not know how to ride it properly allowed a friend to drive the bike and he ripped it TOTALLY upto 7k rpm and 2kms on the odo!
Thankfully for me ride was just 3kms, and after that I strictly adhere to the <4k rpm for first 1000 Kms.
Got 4 free services of the bike done, replaced 2 sets of pilot lights (1 under warranty, other paid 40 bucks)
Disk pads and disk brake were changed under warranty on the 4th free service.

Now the bike is about a year old looks as good as new, but the ride has become disappointing, its has a lot of vibrations esp. on the handlebars and tank, maybe its due to a detuned carb or lack of bar end weights (fell of from the handlebars without my knowledge) or due to the damaged tank washer or all three!

Planning to fit pulsars bar ends, please tell if anyone is planning /has done the same as they seem comparatively heavier and that may reduce the vibes from the engine.
Also whenever I rev the engine hard there is sound from exhaust on decelerating (something like...bhut bhut, popping sound) wondering its cause and solution. Please give me an insight on this too!

And the 10 month long conclusion:
Pros:
• Well built
• Good handling
• Sporty riding stance
• Effective consumer care redressel (send a mail to smilesforever@tvsmotor.co.in and they clarify and fix the problems within 2 working days).Here I am not talking about the service centers.
• Hi-tech Speedo (can record 0-60 time, top speed and has 2 trips)
• Killer looks. For me it’s best looking bike in the category (the pinstripes, tank extensions, belly pan, gunmetal grey engine, alloys etc split tail bars etc.
• In Punjab they are very rare so like the attention!
• Excellent Performance (Smoked numerous Pulsars 150/ 180 , CBZ s ,Unicorns etc)

Cons
• Vibrations. From everywhere the footrest, seat, tank, handlebars (Experts Please Suggest Remedies)
• Poor tire grip
• Poor service centers (at least in my city)
• Rear light could have looked better

Rear number plate bulb fused too [do not find need to replace it ]
No signs of any sort of rust even after worse weather (lot of rain) and bike standing for hours under it
Well built and good reliability.
Things to look out for:
  • Chain makes noise if not well kept for.
  • Dont apply rubbing compound too much , will expose black paint from beneath!
TVS Apache Long Term Report !-apache1.jpg

Last edited by rahulsingh007 : 15th April 2009 at 10:34. Reason: Addition of Picture + Reformatting the paragraphs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks