Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 19:09   #1
BHPian

My Drag Fiero

Its been about 6 months since I have been working on my drag Fiero project. It took me over a month to complete the build from scratch and I took the bike straight to Hyderabad for a drag.
It won the 165cc class and was the fastest 4-stroke of the day.
Since the bike was completed in a hurry I had very little time to optimise the set-up.
So soon as it got back to bangalore, I stripped the engine for the next of works and refining the package.
Bumped the compression further and the head is more optmised. Built a new tuned pipe and reworked fuelling and other stuffs. Still running a stock RTR CDI and it badly needs a good ignition to better the package. I'm still running a standard BS 29CV carb with revised jetting.
Sunday i managed to do a speedtest with the existing constraints and the results were pretty encouraging.
The bike cracked the 15 secs barrier and clocked 130s at the exit. Now this was not with a very hard launch but with a casual one. There were knocks at about 10000rpm and I had to slightly roll off the throttle. Currently running Speed 97 and the set-up is also begging for better fuel. Gotta find my way to get hold of some true 100 oct av gas.
The engine needs a lot more refinement to get get a strong hold in the 14s territory. Once I completely arrest the engine knocks with fuel and a good ignition, things will improve a lot more.
With the exisisting stock CDI, the engine manages to rev happily till 12000rpm and clocks over 10000rpm @ 130kmph in 400mtrs.
I've installed an AFR meter and O2 sensor to get the fuelling inputs and it has helped a lot during the speedtest.
Today I got hold of a down draft 28mm Mikuni Flatslide from a used Honda or so and I'm looking forward to see some improvements next weekend.
These roundslide BS CV carbs have a typical non-responsive tendency at high revs and the slide does not lift when you want it to. Played a bit with spring rates but these carbs dont help much.
The new TM28 Mikuni Flatslide should make a world of a difference on the set-up for sure.
A few pics,

Joel

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th April 2009 at 19:36. Reason: see note in post
fieroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2009, 19:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good of you to dedicate a thread for your Fiero! The TM will help a lot for sure!! Joel what is that pipe that you have connected to the engine oil filler cap? Is it a vent pipe?
Old 29th April 2009, 19:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Damn, exactly how many Fieros do you have

Nice to see a thread on your drag machine

Btw the engine casing looks like that of Apache, was it changed?
Old 29th April 2009, 19:43   #4
BHPian

Hey shankar, thats the crankcase breather contraption. Helps in dropping crankcase temperature to a great extent. Not recommended for street engines though.

@techno - I have 2 Fieros man. One is a 200cc Fiero and this is the drag spec, 165cc Fiero.
It has indeed an apache bottom engine for the 5-speed GB and a short stroke crank which is completely reworked.

Last edited by fieroid : 29th April 2009 at 19:45.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

cool I thought so, the 200 one is the twin one right? Do start a thread on that one as well

So you have 2 Fieros, 1 RTR & 1 R15 right?

Btw where do you get all this work done I mean by who, is it Venu?
Old 29th April 2009, 20:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
cool I thought so, the 200 one is the twin one right? Do start a thread on that one as well

So you have 2 Fieros, 1 RTR & 1 R15 right?

Btw where do you get all this work done I mean by who, is it Venu?
Errr. ...u have mixed all of it.
The 200cc Fiero is a big-bore single cylinder. Will start a thread once I complete some works on that Fiero a month later. For the last 1 year I have been busy with the RTR, R15 and the drag Fiero. Its now time to dust the 200.

I work on my engines and bikes myself man. So there is no place from where I got the works done. Venu is my pal and we work together on a few components and his ideas as usual are great.
To give u an idea, it took me 2 weeks of non-stop work to complete the chassis. Fabricated my own aluminium sub-frame and re-worked on the steel frame.
Every bit of the bike, is hand crafted by me and the internals are painstakingly redone.
Worked hours into the night almost everyday for nearly 2 months coz I had to manage my office job. And I still have lots of work to be done on the set-up in the upcoming days. Need to fix the new flatslide carb and get the fuelling right, thanks to the AFR which will make my life easy.
Old 29th April 2009, 20:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow I wasnt aware of this, Kudos to you man

As for your bikes now where is twin cylinder one?
Old 29th April 2009, 20:13   #8
BHPian

Hey Joel,

finally, a thread for your bikes!! good keep the posts coming I am reading.. he he..

~shrey
Old 29th April 2009, 20:37   #9
BHPian

Hats off man, just hats off to you. Never seen a guy who can work on their bikes and ride as well as you. total respect.
Old 29th April 2009, 20:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice job with the bike! Any videos of it on the tarmac?
Old 29th April 2009, 20:43   #11
BHPian

some videos,
Rediff iShare: 26042009059

Rediff iShare: 26042009060
These were a few casual launches.

The next run after this was the under 15 secs 400mtrs attempt.

@crazyD - Thanks man.
Old 29th April 2009, 22:24   #12
BHPian

Pretty impressive ! have you tried to go higher on your sprockets,the expansion you have build i see in the photo have you calibrated it for back pressure
Old 30th April 2009, 04:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Super bike (no pun intended). I had no idea you did it all yourself. Wow!
Old 30th April 2009, 08:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Joel,

Dude I am waiting man. Take this further. We want a great 4T tuner to add to Bangalore's illustrious tuner list. Meanwhile, managing a day job along with tuning- How do you do it man?
Old 30th April 2009, 08:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
@techno - I have 2 Fieros man. One is a 200cc Fiero and this is the drag spec, 165cc Fiero.
It has indeed an apache bottom engine for the 5-speed GB and a short stroke crank which is completely reworked.
Everybody's confused with the number of bikes you have ;and their state of tune
Starting a thread for your track bike? And which one did you use for the hillclimb?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks