Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 22:53   #1
BHPian

Bullet Heart transplant

Hi guys, I just thought I should share this with you. My friends bullet was the 6th dissapointing 350 AVL bullet to be released by Bullet in India and the early ones were a flop. I believe that all things got to do with the number '6' is pure bad luck(Satan's number). We had been to our Bullet dealer in Vellore, Tamilnadu and wanted to improve our 350 machismo. We were promptly offered a new 500 cc stock AVL engine for Rs 35,000. This engine contains cylinders, crank case, crank and shaft, everything new. Just keeping the old gearbox. That's really cool, now all of you out there, don't waste money on re-boring an old engine. If you don't want an AVL engine, just go for a new "Cast iron engine", it costs Rs 15,000. Just get a load of that. It's a heart transplant that's worth every penny.
Old 26th May 2009, 18:24   #2
BHPian

Refreshing thought process ! However is the 15000 for 350 CI or 500 CI !! Wishful thinking ??? You betcha !
Old 26th May 2009, 19:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsamuelk View Post
..We were promptly offered a new 500 cc stock AVL engine for Rs 35,000. This engine contains cylinders, crank case, crank and shaft, everything new..

just go for a new "Cast iron engine", it costs Rs 15,000.

That's too cheap for an Enfield engine. Are you sure its a Complete engine which can be directly loaded on to rest g'box & frame without any component transplants from the engine which goes out. For 15K it happens to be the most reliable & efficient refurbishment process ever.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

where can i get one?
Old 1st June 2009, 22:29   #5
BHPian

Yep thats what we were quoted, just gotta keep the old carb, exhaust and gearbox. But getting one from the firm will take time, just like we're waiting for a new one from the firm. Gotta provide them a copy of the RC book to get the engine number etched on the casing.
Old 1st June 2009, 22:32   #6
BHPian

15 K for the 350 CI and 35K for the 500 AVL (without the carb)
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, I just thought I should share this with you.

We had been to our Bullet dealer in Vellore, Tamilnadu .
We were promptly offered a new 500 cc stock AVL engine for Rs 35,000.

This engine contains cylinders, crank case, crank and shaft, everything new. Just keeping the old gearbox.
If you don't want an AVL engine, just go for a new "Cast iron engine", it costs Rs 15,000. Just get a load of that.
hi drsamuelk

i have 88 bullet std which i have converted (or restored ) to an pre 60 one (for looks 0nly).

if the engine assembly is for 1500 i am interested in it.
give more details of the dealership as telephone number or email,etc.

if possible ask for the price of the new chassis also.

Last edited by jeepster : 2nd June 2009 at 17:48.
Old 3rd June 2009, 01:33   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Yep thats what we were quoted, just gotta keep the old carb, exhaust and gearbox. But getting one from the firm will take time, just like we're waiting for a new one from the firm. Gotta provide them a copy of the RC book to get the engine number etched on the casing.

An what about the displacement change ? will that reflect in the RC ?

I am guessing that the dealership is assembling the engine from parts and getting the number stamped . I do not think you are getting an offer from RE .
Old 3rd June 2009, 01:35   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Hi guys, I just thought I should share this with you. My friends bullet was the 6th dissapointing 350 AVL bullet to be released by Bullet in India and the early ones were a flop. I believe that all things got to do with the number '6' is pure bad luck(Satan's number). We had been to our Bullet dealer in Vellore, Tamilnadu and wanted to improve our 350 machismo. We were promptly offered a new 500 cc stock AVL engine for Rs 35,000. This engine contains cylinders, crank case, crank and shaft, everything new. Just keeping the old gearbox. That's really cool, now all of you out there, don't waste money on re-boring an old engine. If you don't want an AVL engine, just go for a new "Cast iron engine", it costs Rs 15,000. Just get a load of that. It's a heart transplant that's worth every penny.

The characteristics of the AVL and Machismo engine are different . DO both of them share the same gearbox ?
Old 9th June 2009, 19:47   #10
BHPian

No all new engines are procured from REM, we are at the final stage of clearance at the firm's head office, too much paperwork and red tape. Finally when it's approved the firm confirms the previous engine number, they stamp the numbers on and give it to us. I know this because when we get this engine, it will be REM engine no 3 on the same chassis. Yes we have been thro this process of changing the engine once before but things were a little faster because it was in the warranty period. Prior RTO clearance has to be obtained, which is a formality. And yes the gearbox are all the same, it should mate. Guys have you heard of a chap in chennai who mates a maruti 800cc engine to a bullet gearbox. It's possible, as the gears are in a different integral enclosed cassette with the first drive shaft jetting out. That's what makes a bullet so versatile. No other bike on the Indian road has such a gearbox. The next time you see a 'Custom bike build' on 'Travel and living' watch ssome of the engines closely, they are Vtwin engines and seperate gearbox briven by 2 belts. The bullet's gear box is something like that. I wish we could import Vtwin engines in India too.............Until then happy ridin.
Old 9th June 2009, 22:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
N....next time you see a 'Custom bike build' on 'Travel and living' watch ssome of the engines closely, they are Vtwin engines and seperate gearbox briven by 2 belts. The bullet's gear box is something like that. I wish we could import Vtwin engines in India too.............Until then happy ridin.
do you mean these bikes have two sets of gearboxes? pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that the two pistons are mated with the help of some crank case or something
Old 10th June 2009, 09:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

350AVL was what? It was an engine on high spirits.

And 500 cc stock AVL engine for Rs 35,000. This engine contains cylinders, crank case, crank and shaft, everything new. Wow! jump at it!
Old 11th June 2009, 23:33   #13
BHPian

Wow! Thats interesting, does the same apply for the 535 also ?? eg. can I use the 535's head and cylinder and the rest of it from any different RE model ?
Old 17th June 2009, 22:58   #14
BHPian

{http://www.realclassic.co.uk/bullet07082100.html}

please follow the above link and check out the 2 part series on the 612cc bullet transformation. It's food for thought. Make us look like suckers!
In fact check the Real Classic - All about buying & selling, riding & restoring real classic motorcycles site and bullet is found under royal enfield motors, there are a host of other mods people have done with their bullet. Money and know how seems to be the bottom line, we have neither of these. It's depressing sometimes, how we're satisfied with 17 - 24 BHP.
Old 30th August 2009, 10:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to Hitchcock's a few months ago and asked if I could order performance cams for the AVL. They said, they were developing a high lift cam set for the AVLs which will be out for Christmas. Can't wait.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks