Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2009, 17:51   #1
BHPian

Planning a new Bike

Hi Everyone,

Its been a long time since i have posted on team bhp, the last time i posted was to clarify my doubts on buying a new car, this time i need some advice on buying a bike for myself, which would be used for day-to-day travel, my budget is 75k. Currently Unicorn seems to be the one for me, as I'm tall (6 1'') Apache doesn't seem to suit me. Please advice me guys.

Thanks & regards
Krishna

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by krishnavamshi24 : 16th June 2009 at 18:00.
Old 16th June 2009, 17:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Krishna,

What do you expect from this bike?

- Good Mileage
- Powerful & Fun to Drive
- A mix of both
Old 16th June 2009, 18:02   #3
BHPian

I'm 22 year old so plan to have bike that is fun to ride, good to flaunt, Saves me the money.

Last edited by krishnavamshi24 : 16th June 2009 at 18:03.
Old 16th June 2009, 18:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
Currently Unicorn seems to be the one for me, as I'm tall (6 1'') Apache doesn't seem to suit me. Please advice me guys.
Did you test drive the Unicorn? I am 6' 2" tall and am not comfortable with the tank recess of Unicorn - my knee was above the recess provided. Test drive and see. Unicorn is a very good vehicle. If you are fine, I would recommend it.

I heard Karizma is comfortable for tall people and suits your requirements, though I have not driven it. But it is outside your budget, less fuel efficiency and an old model.

Suzuki GS150 seems to be good based on user reviews and features provided.
Old 16th June 2009, 18:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
as I'm tall (6 1'') Apache doesn't seem to suit me
AFAIK, bikes with rear set foot pegs are more comfortable for those whose have long legs. ie, Zma, P200, P220, R15, Apache, etc. Test ride the shortlisted bikes before you finalize.
Old 16th June 2009, 19:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
fun to ride, good to flaunt, Saves me the money
Lol the first two dont save you money

Anyways, I suggest you check out Hunk & CBZ Xtreme. Also FZ16 but it wont save you any money
Old 17th June 2009, 15:50   #7
BHPian

Ride the GS150 to believe it. Slightly on the heavier side, but its awesome to ride, and the 6-speed gearbox has a nice spread of torque.

Buy a Karizma, but you will see the real benefits of it when you decide to go on long distance trips.
Old 17th June 2009, 16:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Lol the first two dont save you money

Anyways, I suggest you check out Hunk & CBZ Xtreme. Also FZ16 but it wont save you any money
+1 to what Kedar said. FYI, The Hunk and the Unicorn share the same Mill but where the Hunk wins in the looks department.

HH Hunk - Good Looks + Good Mileage = Saves you Money. I see more chicks turning and looking at the bike (if not me) because of the looks
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:06   #9
BHPian

Go for the unicorn.I have been using it for the last 4and half years with 52000 kms on the odo.I haven't got any major complaint with my bike for all these years. It has got one of the most reliable engines in its class. The hunk and the extreme thought having the same mill are tuned for a little more power(around 1.5 bhp more). So the mileage is a bit low.If you don't mind the mileage being a little less, then hunk and extreme are also good choices.
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
I'm 22 year old so plan to have bike that is fun to ride, good to flaunt, Saves me the money.
Unicorn is not the bike to buy if you want to flaunt it! Its a bike more suited for uncles (looks wise). And I guess it also has the lowest power in its class... which dosen't exactly make it fun to ride either. It would score in other ways though...
Old 3rd August 2009, 05:10   #11
BHPian

i don't want to start a debate.pulsar 150 is the one with lowest power( 12.76 bhp) while unicorn is 13.3 bhp,apache 150 is 13.5 bhp.you can ride the unicorn for mileage, or you can rip it for fun.In my experience if I rip it consistently for about 100 to 200kms(i don't mean a non stop 100 kms,you can do it in a few days) it gets automatically tuned for a better pickup and the mileage decreases. I don't know how much technically correct is that. However that is what I feel.Out of the 50ks that I have run on my unicorn I drove it for mileage for the first 7000-8000kms. Till then I have been using it in a rough way( ripping hard, wheelies) but still it is far better to ride than my friends pulsar which was bought at a similar period and it has also got nearly 50000kms on the odo( he also uses the bike in a very rough manner, and he had to replace his engine's piston once).
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:44   #12
BHPian

Thanks all for your comments & sorry for the delay in replying.I have had to postpone my purchase for sometime now. But i have got my sights on Yamaha now,they seem be on release spree. So many new bikes all of them unique. Yamaha Fazer looks so hot.Any feedback on this hot bike.
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
i don't want to start a debate.pulsar 150 is the one with lowest power( 12.76 bhp) while unicorn is 13.3 bhp,apache 150 is 13.5 bhp.you can ride the unicorn for mileage, or you can rip it for fun.In my experience if I rip it consistently for about 100 to 200kms(i don't mean a non stop 100 kms,you can do it in a few days) it gets automatically tuned for a better pickup and the mileage decreases. I don't know how much technically correct is that. However that is what I feel.Out of the 50ks that I have run on my unicorn I drove it for mileage for the first 7000-8000kms. Till then I have been using it in a rough way( ripping hard, wheelies) but still it is far better to ride than my friends pulsar which was bought at a similar period and it has also got nearly 50000kms on the odo( he also uses the bike in a very rough manner, and he had to replace his engine's piston once).
About the power you have mentioned about each bike, I can't reacall off-hand, but it seems you have reproduced old data. The bhp you have mentioned for Unicorn is probably correct (or close to correct), but then its the only bike that has remained unchanged since the last many years, except for v minor changes and sticker jobs.

And I don't think there is any self-learning feature in Uni that would make it automatically tune itself.
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:36   #14
BHPian

I am 6' 3", tried FZ-S, to be honest it was like a toy Fazer's the same size I believe.

My suggestion about a suitable bike for you would be ZMA!
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

All things aside, if I were to be shopping for a bike today I would buy from the Yamaha stable. The fazer would be definitely the best looking bike in the market today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks