Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 17:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda/HH Tuff-up tubes for other bikes (Shogun)

Recently changed the tyres and tubes (both Dunlop) of my Suzuki Shogun. Since a puncture in no-mans land is always a real scary prospect, one of my friends asked me why I didn't use a Honda/Hero Honda Tuff-Up tube.

Would really appreciate if anybody can answer any of the below questions -

Has anybody used these tubes in non HH/Honda bikes... esp. the 2 strokers? Would it affect the handling of the bike in any way?

My CBZ-X is supposed to have a Tuff-Up tube in the rear company fitted. Does anybody know why they use Tuff-up tubes only in the rear? I mean is it cost cutting or some other reason?

My Shogun is on stock rims (spoked). Sizes are 2.75 x 18 and 3.00 x 18. Would it be a good idea to fix Tuff-up tubes on both rims? If yes, then are both these sizes available?

Where are Tuff-up tubes available? Are they available with tyre dealers too... or only at Hero Honda/Honda dealers? Now the funny thing is I asked for these tubes at my Hero Honda dealer's service centre just 2 days back, and EVERYONE including the store keeper, mechanics, workshop manager gave me funny looks. The store keeper said he never heard of such a thing in his life and they have never recieved it from the company ever. They have neither heard about it nor know what its all about. Reall sad state of affairs!

Lastly, are these tubes really effective?

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd July 2009 at 17:05.
Old 2nd July 2009, 19:37   #2
BANNED

Use Sealants - Buy Online Today.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

they use in just rear cause they have them avaiable injust two sizes 3x18 and 4x18 thats why
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Slime... but I have no idea where its available. And the site is of no use for that. Also it says its guaranteed for 2 years only! What happens after that??

Any idea about its cost?

Nobody has any idea about the handling, etc., after fitting Tuff-up tubes on non Honda/HH bikes?? :(

Quote:
they use in just rear cause they have them avaiable injust two sizes 3x18 and 4x18 thats why
And what stops them from making them for the front rim sizes??

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd July 2009 at 15:05.
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Slime... but I have no idea where its available. And the site is of no use for that. Also it says its guaranteed for 2 years only! What happens after that??

Any idea about its cost?

Nobody has any idea about the handling, etc., after fitting Tuff-up tubes on non Honda/HH bikes?? :(

And what stops them from making them for the front rim sizes??
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...flat-tyre.html
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks, checked that out... but the problem is again the availability, and also the cost compared to the Tuff-up tube. Still don't have that info. :(
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:07   #7
BANNED

Whats the requirement?

In the city the closest puncture repair is not too far.

Not worth the money. The latest tyres dont get punctured that easily.

CBZ - 01 model. 4 punctures in 7 years. The front stock tyre never had a puncture. The rear had 2. New tyres, front - no puncture till today. Rear - one puncture.

Get good rubber, maintain your rims and your are good.
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Requirement as I mentioned is for my Shogun which is used both in city and on highways. As you said, in city puncture is not a huge scare. But on highways, I shudder at the thought as there are no puncture shops for miles. Have never been stranded with a puncture on a highway, but the prospect is scary, and hence the thought of some solution beforehand. However, I have had couple of punctures in city in the dead of the night when nothing is open... and that also can be a huge pain.

Are the latest tyres/tubes really so puncture resistant compared to that of few years ago? What has changed?? The new Dunlops on my Shogun sure seem to be a softer compound than say an MRF, hence my increased concern about punctures.

What exactly do you mean maintain my rims? Do you mean keeping the rim true? How would the alignment of the rim have anything to do with punctures? Anyway, I just got the front rim trued only last week. Got the rear one trued about a month ago, but the alignment (rear rim) still seems out by say 1 to 1.25 mm or so (checked using finger). The truing guy said it dosent matter at all. I of course dont buy that. What do you think?

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd July 2009 at 16:27.
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Tuff-up tubes are not available in tyre shops. They are available only through HH/Honda showrooms.
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Requirement as I mentioned is for my Shogun which is used both in city and on highways. As you said, in city puncture is not a huge scare. But on highways, I shudder at the thought as there are no puncture shops for miles. Have never been stranded with a puncture on a highway, but the prospect is scary, and hence the thought of some solution beforehand. However, I have had couple of punctures in city in the dead of the night when nothing is open... and that also can be a huge pain.

The last highway puncture on my bike was in 2003.

Anyway I carry as part of my kit, a foot pump, tube, those big spanners and valve removal thing.

It takes me a little less than 10 mins to remove the rear tire and put it back in.
Had extensive practise when I fitted a low quality tube (availability issues) for a while.
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Tuff-up tubes are not available in tyre shops. They are available only through HH/Honda showrooms.
As I mentioned, not a single person at my Hero Honda ASC has even heard of such tubes! Anyways, I just called up a Honda dealership... they said its available for Rs. 390. They didn't even know what size it is. They just said its for the Unicorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The last highway puncture on my bike was in 2003.

Anyway I carry as part of my kit, a foot pump, tube, those big spanners and valve removal thing.

It takes me a little less than 10 mins to remove the rear tire and put it back in.
Had extensive practise when I fitted a low quality tube (availability issues) for a while.
No ways I can carry a tyre shop with me on a bike man. Besides, I seldom get punctures, so if I keep buying tubes every 6 months (thats the safe shelf life) most of them would go totally waste.

Better than carrying a workshop like that It would be way easier to carry one of those aerosol on the spot pucture repair cans. Like the one made by Gulf. But can you repair the tube after you use that? Is it really effective overall? Any experience, anybody? The info is minimal... it isnt even mentioned if it can be used in tubed or tubeless tyres, etc.

Gulf Oil India – A Hinduja Group company, owned by the Hindujas click on Other Products > Car care in left colum.

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd July 2009 at 17:39.
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:43   #12
BANNED

Quote:
But on highways, I shudder at the thought as there are no puncture shops for miles. Have never been stranded with a puncture on a highway, but the prospect is scary, and hence the thought of some solution beforehand.
Answer:
Quote:
With highway i understand you mean 5-6 hours of continuous riding. Even highways have a good lot of puncture shops even more then cities.

Quote:
However, I have had couple of punctures in city in the dead of the night when nothing is open... and that also can be a huge pain.
Yes its a requirement then. But thats the whole point in picking up the right tyre-tube for your bike.

Quote:
Are the latest tyres/tubes really so puncture resistant compared to that of few years ago? What has changed??
The roads maybe. My dads Lambretta used to get punctured twice a week. My bikes with better tyres certainly have been much much better.

Technology going in has surely got better - Steel belted or different compound rubber belted.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean maintain my rims?
For rust which can weaken the tube. Trueing the rim is absolutely necessary uneven wear can lead to punctures too.

Coming back to your original question. Yes tyre sealants are available. Some of the best are actually too costly. But they do work. They mostly help in suppressing small punctures. They will prevent a total loss of air untill you find a puncture repair store. Its not like fill the tube and forget about it. Sooner or later all the air will be released albeit slowly if you dont make out its a puncture. A full blowout or a nail going through would still be an issue with these tyres.
Old 4th July 2009, 18:42   #13
Team-BHP Support

I am going OT. My last post on my riding tools and stuff to carry.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean maintain my rims?
Apart from truing; http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ting-rims.html

Quote:
No ways I can carry a tyre shop with me on a bike man.
That is just one of the things in my bag.
I have a very decent set of tools that are always with me on my long rides.
Funny thing is that its been used very rarely on my bike till date. And wish it remains that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
With highway i understand you mean 5-6 hours of continuous riding. Even highways have a good lot of puncture shops even more then cities.
In one direction, yes, eh At least 5 to 6 hours.
I hate strangers touching my bike.
Would rather do it myself.
Old 6th July 2009, 01:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from truing; http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ting-rims.html

In one direction, yes, eh At least 5 to 6 hours.
I hate strangers touching my bike.
Would rather do it myself.
Hmmm... that was useful. I did notice rusting when replacing the tyres. Didn't know what to do about it, so left it. Thought of applying WD40, but didn't do it as I feared the lubrication may make the tubes/tyes loose grip on the rims. Also, I'm not sure what effect the WD40 will have on the tubes, despite claims that it does not adversely affect rubber.

Now the question is, how to remove the rust? The rust is moderate. I asked the truing guy if he could use his grinding tool (the circular abrasive disc that rotates... dunno what its called) to remove the rust. But he said he can't do it. Does sandpapering it using a metal sandpaper sound like a good idea?

Painting the rims with rubber paint and all isn't a very viable option for me as painting it and then waiting for it to dry isn't an option... can't do all that on the road where the wheel truing guy and the tyre guy is located.

Applying that brass/copper coloured liquid seems a much easier option, as you can just apply it with a rag quite easily. Don't know how long it takes to dry though... I'm sure it must be much less than paint. Anybody has any idea?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks