Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 20:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Reserve capacity in Bullet?

What is the reserve fuel tank capacity in Bullet?
Old 15th July 2009, 20:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

it is bit more than 1 L less than 1.5
Old 15th July 2009, 20:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
it is bit more than 1 L less than 1.5
Yeah, manual says capacity is 1.5L so usable reserve should be 1L.
Old 15th July 2009, 20:33   #4
BHPian

Manual says its 1.5L
Old 15th July 2009, 22:56   #5
BHPian

I used to think its 1.5 L.
My Tbird had 1.5 odd litres of reserve.

Now i own an LB500. The bike came into reserve this morning and i filled the tank up within 5 kms. The tank would not take any more than 12 litres. So, perhaps the newer machines, or may be the 500s come with higher reserve limit.
Old 15th July 2009, 23:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

But beleive me you cannot use any thing more than the 1L and the rest has to be used by shaking the bike real bad. and doing other manuvers to get the petrol to reach your fuel T.
Old 16th July 2009, 00:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
But beleive me you cannot use any thing more than the 1L and the rest has to be used by shaking the bike real bad. and doing other manuvers to get the petrol to reach your fuel T.
Lol sh*t i have experience in getting the last drop sucked by the carb.. some jugaad i used, when i used to get stuck somewhere without fuel (my 2.5 decades old bullet has an ok mileage when i'm riding it ) are like taking the bike to some slopy ground, where front is highly raised, so the petrol reaches the drain hole(whatever it is called :P ) in tank; then turn that mini reservoir in filter upside down. Most of the time I had to ride the bull instead of bullet. Most of the time. Let's say more than 10 times. Also been stranded kms away from any one to help, or any petrol pump. Unforgettable and bonding.

Sorry for going off-topic but this reserve limit was never enough for me, which is what I wanted to convey.

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 16th July 2009 at 00:18.
Old 16th July 2009, 00:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've noticed that when the bike goes off, there is ABSOLUTELY no petrol in the tank. I need to check the fuel consumption of the bike. So wanted a foolproof way to check.

The method I used to use was: Let the bike get into reserve, and immediately fill around 2-3 litres. Ride around until it comes into reserve again. Compare kilometers ridden and the amount of fuel used to calculate mileage.

The problem is that by the time I get to a pump, reserve is being used. Was actually thinking of keeping a bottle of petrol ready with me. Moment it hits reserve, fill a litre and wait for reserve again.
Old 16th July 2009, 07:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I've noticed that when the bike goes off, there is ABSOLUTELY no petrol in the tank. I need to check the fuel consumption of the bike. So wanted a foolproof way to check.

The method I used to use was: Let the bike get into reserve, and immediately fill around 2-3 litres. Ride around until it comes into reserve again. Compare kilometers ridden and the amount of fuel used to calculate mileage.

The problem is that by the time I get to a pump, reserve is being used. Was actually thinking of keeping a bottle of petrol ready with me. Moment it hits reserve, fill a litre and wait for reserve again.

Hey Gordon, I dont see a problem with your way of calculating mileage

Reserve to Reserve
- X litres of petrol
- Y kms Done
=> mileage is X/Y.

This is how i calculate mileage, whenever i do. Is there something wrong in the above methodology ?
Old 16th July 2009, 11:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

Milage Check on a motorcycle.
Reserve capacity in Bullet?-milage.jpg

small correction:
Line 4 should mean that you used the empty space between reserve and remaining fuel.

PS:
I don't have a odo on my bike. No Speedo either.
Its works out much better.
My bike has no idea what is her top speed and milage.
I like it that way.

Last edited by bblost : 16th July 2009 at 11:08.
Old 16th July 2009, 11:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Reserve for the bikes with 14lt tanks is 1.3lts as in my electra. the newer bikes like LB hold a litre less over all but wonder if the reserve can be any lesser than 1.3ltrs!
Old 16th July 2009, 18:30   #12
BHPian

Hello Gordon,

I am glad you started this thread as its been more than a month since I was planning on starting this thread but for some reason did not go ahead with it, thinking it might be sound too stupid.

The reserve that my old RE (350cc) offers is 1.4 Ltrs which was checked by empting the fuel tank while the bike was parked in the garage just to get the figures right.

This experiment was done following an incident where I was not able to go more than 20kms since my bike hit the reserve and also, this was done twice (Once with bike parked & the second instance with the bike reaching reserve after riding around).

After the bike was checked for the reserve capacity in parking when it gave 1.4ltrs to give an approximate figure, I filled the empty bike tank with 2 litres of petrol and went riding around and with the roads around in Mumbai you know how bumpy the ride can get especially with our old shock absorbers in old REs. You will be surprised to know that I managed to ride around the Shivaji Park area for quite some time until I hit the reserve and when that happend the bike had already covered almost 25Kms (The ride was more about riding around in Dadar going through the bylanes with speed breakers all around).

Once the bike hit the reserve I headed back home which was around 2kms from where I was and quickly emptied the tank again to check the amount of fuel left. I was shocked to see just around 0.950 Ltrs of fuel left in the tank.

So keeping in mind the above experiment I can conclude saying :-

1 - Around a litre (+/-200mls) if the bike i constantly on the move.
Amount of reserve while riding gets reduced substantially depending on the quality of ride and roads.

Good Roads - You should have a little more than a litre left.
Bad Roads - Less than a litre as a lof of reserve is already being consumed owing to jumping of fuel inside the tank

2. With the bike parked or short distance ride it will be around 1.4 Ltrs

Hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Gaurav

Last edited by mantrig : 16th July 2009 at 18:43. Reason: The refill was done by adding 2 and not 1.5 litres. Also some grammatical errors were corrected.
Old 16th July 2009, 22:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry gordon did not go through the posts above but,

what you can do is that when the reserve hits try to check the millage
and then fill it up for 1 or 2 L of fuel. when you hit the reserve just check the millage again. calculate the difference and see what the average is

IMO use a sigma and get the exact thing.

this is the simplest way to do it.
Old 16th July 2009, 22:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Gurpartap thats the Jugad that i am talking about hehehe. or if you can afford to get a new side stand after some time. you can also lean the bike on your side stand it is aeasier way
Old 20th July 2009, 11:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Gurpartap thats the Jugad that i am talking about hehehe. or if you can afford to get a new side stand after some time. you can also lean the bike on your side stand it is aeasier way
Haha, I lean it too when in such a situation. And people look at me wondering "This is not chetak".

It was mostly hard getting the fuel sucked when it's about to finish, since fuel tank was bit rusted from inside, and the weight of left over fuel is less to make through the rust ppt (even whole of reserve isn't enough in this case ): ). Also the shape of tank and placement of that hole wasn't the best for even leaning. Raising it's front always helped more when leaning didn't.

[/OT]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks