Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 09:18   #1
BANNED

Solution for Pulsar's rampant Side Stand magnet losing problem

The magnet which keeps the Side Stand light in the instrument console(of my Pulsar 150 v2) ON/OFF is always getting lost. It's getting lost just after 2-3 days of fixing it.

I had replaced it about 14 times till so far in my 4 year old. Although the magnet costs lesser than Rs.20 it's still a pain to replace it umpteen times.

I really don't know why Bajaj has made such a feature if they don't know about the reliability/road-worthiness of such a feature !

Is there any way to fix that magnet so that it always remains there for at-least 1 year/10,000 KMS ?

Old 30th July 2009, 13:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Just check if what you are buying is genuine spare or a spurious one, I have owned two pulsars(2+ years each) & never faced this issue.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

The side stand indicator on my bike stopped working about a year after i bought it. 5 years later, i am not too bothered about it.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I got the one on my bike changed 5-6 times. Finally, I've given up. I dont need it. It's become a habit now to check if the side stand is up with my own eyes.

I agree with Mithun. There seems to be some design flaw with that. It rarely stays on for more than a few days. If it stays on, it stops working! Quite pissing off!
Old 30th July 2009, 15:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow I am surprised to see all of you guys reporting this, I guess I was lucky
Old 30th July 2009, 15:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you were! I know quite a few guys who have had the same problem. One guy finally took some super gule and stuck it on, but in the end, that also stopped working. The magnet was still stuck, but it wasnt working properly. I was hoping the Super Glue would work. I would have done that to my bike, but unfortunately, it didnt.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Awe! Sorry guys.
I never faced this problem. But there are many other owners whom I know have faced this and given up. For me the red light glows if the side stand is sticking out. I'll ask my mechanic what is the permanent solution for this!
Old 30th July 2009, 16:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Awe! Sorry guys.
I never faced this problem. But there are many other owners whom I know have faced this and given up. For me the red light glows if the side stand is sticking out. I'll ask my mechanic what is the permanent solution for this!
If I were you, I wouldn't ask the mech. What if he messes it up while trying to find the cause/solution?
Old 30th July 2009, 16:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I got the one on my bike changed 5-6 times. Finally, I've given up. I dont need it. It's become a habit now to check if the side stand is up with my own eyes.

that is what so many of us lesser mortals have always been doing.

I have no idea how its placed but won't some fine silk thread help.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The magnet which keeps the Side Stand light in the instrument console(of my Pulsar 150 v2) ON/OFF is always getting lost.
Next time ask your mechanic to fix it with fevi quick. Mine is 2 years old still going strong
Old 31st July 2009, 11:09   #11
BANNED

Is there any other reasons(other than the magnet losing) for the Side Stand light to stop working ?
Old 31st July 2009, 11:20   #12
BHPian

The magnet is an irritating problem with the Pulsar. I had the same problem when I possessed my 2nd gen. 180 DTSi. As I understand, its a screw up at the OEM end which leads to a loose fitting magnet. The solution is to provide some packing with super glue but it still can come out. I replaced it twice in six months and then gave up on it.

The side stand light is directly connected to the magnet.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Mithun - this is a strange problem. I've owned a 2004 180 Dtsi for 5 years now, and its never had such an issue.

Do you always go to the same service centre? Next time the magnet breaks, get a replacement part from another guy. Just an incident I quote to support my suggestion:

Shortly after I shifted to Ahd, my bike's side stand spring broke. I took it to the service centre who charged me 60 bucks and fitted a replacement spring. Very next day, it broke.

Surprised, I went to another service centre who looked at the broken spring and said "Saab, yeh to aapko Calber ka spring de diya tha. Pulsar bhaari gaadi hai, spring to tootna hi tha". Charged me 100 bucks and replaced the spring. That spring is giving me service till date.

Needless to say, I never went back to the first service centre again.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:14   #14
BHPian

Mine failed to work after about 1.5 years. One final day the sensor with wire came loose. I just unplugged the wire and removed the wire along with the sensor. The light remains off. No headache.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Mine also stopped working after a year or so after which I glued a strong magent on the ledge with fevi quick... working fine every since.

The light would also stop working if the ledge on which the magnet is placed is not in line with the sensor due to any reason. I hit the underbody on a hump once and it stopped working until the brought it inline again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks